Grinding, clanking, dripping, after lift!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, soooo here it is. I put a J sping lift on with Mr Gasket up front and the extended OME L shocks, extended the bump stops, put on caster plate correction, put on drop blocks for the sway bars, extended brake lines (well not yet they are still sitting on the work bench) and I cant think of anything else at the moment. Oh ya, I went to get my new 315's on today but the truck that was delivering the tires had a blow out so perhaps tomorrow they say (damn i wanted those today!!). So here is the problem, after doing all of this, I now drive a beast that seems to hummmmmm between 30 and 39 mph..not just a little hummmm but a LOUD hummmmm. Then, when I let off the gas I can hear a clank clank clank sound coming from the drivers front hub?? Ohh and besides the clank sound from upfront, there is a rubbing sort of clank or click click sound from directly under the driver and passangers seat (perhaps U joints??) MY GOD, my beast is taking a crap on me!!! Soo with all of this crazy explanation with horrible sound effects, what do you think should be my first place to look? I actually dont mind tinkering with the beast, but, I dont want to cause any more damage by driving it if I dont have to. Thanks!!! Oh ya, I still love my cruiser..............damn thing is still perfect in my eyes!!! :D

Do you happen to put on sliders also? When I installed the HQ sliders on my rig there was a horrible vibrationg clanking sound due to the cat covers rubbing on the sliders. That might explain passenger side vibrations. If you don't sliders, still check around the cat area for rubbing causing vibrations.

There was a post a few days about someone installing js and castor kit having bad vibrations, most suggested it was U-joint, so you are probably right about your inclination.

You can fix all these problems, don't worry.

how long were the sway bara drop blocks??? inspect the drive line closely for any sign of rubbing.
If that is nto it I would venture the WAG of u joints were cupped prior and now that they are in a new plane thaey are causig you greif.
Dave

No sliders as of yet but I will check the cat to see if anything is loose..........but it is more of a grinding or vibrating sound. As for the u joints, what is the best way to see if they are shot? I will climb back under the beast ( i actually do that often just to gaze up at all the fun parts and things i want to mess with) and check visually for the u joints or any other signs of rubbing. As for the clank sound in the drivers side front hub, any suggestions on that? It is almost like there is something loose inside or the brake pads are just rattling around in there, which I dont think so since it still brakes pretty damn good. thanks and keep the info coming, i need all the help I can get. ;p

Are you sure the clanking is coming from the hub and not from the shock or spring? The spring may not be seated correctly and/or the shock mount may be loose.

First, you may want to give give your springs time to settle in. When I lifted another rig with a 2" ome set up it started out @ 3.5" and alot of the noise you mentioned. A week later and after an alignment things had settled down to where they should have been.

Outside of that I also suspect your ujoints are worn and don't like the new angles. Check to make sure all of your nuts are tight. a loose connection on a shock or sway bar can make alot of racket.

Fly Rod

Shocks and Springs look good and tight and seated. Sway bars are tight and dropped 2 inches with slee's drop blocks. Hmmmm I dont know what the deal is. All I know is that it is 100 deg. outside and I am NOT climbing under that beast till later tonight. Thanks for the info and if there are any other suggestions please send them this way. :beer: :beer:

ok, well after it cooled down a bit outside I went and climbed under the cruiser. What I found was......................NOTHING!! I checked the shocks/springs/stabilizer bar.............and they all look good. So I took her for a few laps around the block, and I came to this...........When I give it gas be it steady or alot, the clanking up front or underneath upfront goes away but as soon as I let off the gas, it sounds as if my driver side hub (thats as best as where I can say it sounds to be coming from) is knocking on something. Strange! I have no idea if the u joints are bad....how can you tell??? It seems tight and no clanking when going in and out of gear. So I am at a stand still. I know there is something wrong but have no idea.

ps. I did notice that the tie rod bar is hitting or scraping the suspension arm...is this normal?? Damn I have tons of posts in the last two weeks!!!! :eek:

It's the caster plates. When you rotate the pinion down, the tie rod can contact the top of the leading arms. It makes a racket. Take the leading arms down and use an angle grinder to grind about 1/8 inch of material off the top of the leading arm. That should solve 99% of you problem, at least it did for me. It did make me realize that a set of Christo's leading arms are in my future, probably just before Cruise Moab next year.

If you have a CDL switch, why not drop the front driveshaft, engage CDL and drive her around?

This is the key:

4dmalamute said:
ps. I did notice that the tie rod bar is hitting or scraping the suspension arm...is this normal?? Damn I have tons of posts in the last two weeks!!!! :eek:

I'm 99% sure Drew is correct on his assessment. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom