Greetings...noob here , please be gentle ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been lurking here for a week or two. Great site ! I have enjoyed reading the buildup articles..some of you folks have VERY understanding spouses :D

I am originally from the UK and have wheeled Series 2a and Series 3 Land Rovers in a former life.

I have owned 4 Toy 4runners to date (one trail prepped and tested) and I am now seriously looking at an 80 series.

I have searched and I have read and searched a bit more and read a bit more.
I hope I am starting to get a handle on whats what with an 80 series.

My opening question is this...I am looking at two 80 series with factory lockers, one is a 96 with 170k and the other a 97 with 168k (wierd huh ?)

Both have evidence of front main seal/sump pan arch seal seepage, both seem to have noisy waterpumps.

Both drive well and function correctly (e.g. lockers engage, disengage etc)

The 97 has some evidence of grease around the knuckle so I would plan on a rebuild in my future... I am a pretty good mechanic so that does not bother me.

The 96 is visually a lillte tired inside and out but looks as you would expect a vehicle to look that is 10 years old, the 97 is cleaner and nice all around. The other real problem with the 96 is it seems to be the Bling edition with white bumpers and gold emblems but I am sure the emblems will come off pretty quick with a hairdryer and dental floss ;)

The 96 can be negotiated down to $7250, the 97 is $9950 firm, two owners from new, one from 0 to 70k, the last owner put 100k on in the last 5 years.

After all the info, I am looking for a vehicle that will last me the next 2 -3 years and another 45 to 50k. Nothing but maintenancde for the first year but year two would see OME, new rubber and a bumper and a trip or two to Iron Pig in Fredricksburg if we survice the first year with no major mechanicals. WHich leads me to my questions...

What else should I look for ? Any quick checks I can do on the tranny ?
Any other smoking guns ???

Many thanks, please be gentle

David

P.S> I am leaning towward the 97....

Tranny fluid should be clean and shouldn't smell burnt when warm (I have been told). Should shift smoothly. Do close research on what is selling ($$$), if you haven't allready. Seems SUV's have flooded the market making them much more affordable. Freaking fuel prices!

No need to ask for civility around here, it is given to all who don't act like tards.

First two questions-Are you going to wheel it? and is money an issue?

If you are going to wheel it: They both will need the front axle service done and seem to have the same mechanical issues. The 96 will free up cash for mods, and if it is going to be a wheeler, the tired inside is not as much of an issue same w/the bumper.

You might try the HG bubble test to make sure you don't have a leak, but some guys replace theirs for PM. Check for rust by pulling up the rear window rubber on the lower portion of rear window and also if either has a roof rack, that is a bad thing as far as rust prevention. Dump a few cups of water down the sunroof drains to make sure that they are working........I am sure there is more but thats all I can think of for now.
Good luck,
Dan

You don't state what kind of "noise" you think the water pumps are making, but there is a very real possibly that what you're hearing is belts (especially if they are not OEM or if they're cogged).

flintknapper said:
You don't state what kind of "noise" you think the water pumps are making, but there is a very real possibly that what you're hearing is belts (especially if they are not OEM or if they're cogged).

Belts is a good possibility along with A/C idler pulley. Seems we've had a rash of noisy ones around that mileage. The part is cheap and it's a good time to put on new belts and maybe a new fan clutch.

As KliersLC mentioned, check for HG issues. Inspect the head/block junction looking for signs of coolant leak and the bubble test.

There are very few (none?) differences between a '96 and a '97. We have heard that Toyota tweaked the fuel mapping in the '97 but everybody gets about the same mileage so whatever difference it makes is minor.

FYI, there was no "white bumper" option from the factory. I would look carefully for signs of front/rear damage.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Belts is a good possibility along with A/C idler pulley. Seems we've had a rash of noisy ones around that mileage. The part is cheap and it's a good time to put on new belts and maybe a new fan clutch.

As KliersLC mentioned, check for HG issues. Inspect the head/block junction looking for signs of coolant leak and the bubble test.

There are very few (none?) differences between a '96 and a '97. We have heard that Toyota tweaked the fuel mapping in the '97 but everybody gets about the same mileage so whatever difference it makes is minor.

FYI, there was no "white bumper" option from the factory. I would look carefully for signs of front/rear damage.

-B-
'

Great info all,

Beowulf, didn't you used to frequent the original outdoor wire Toy boards ???

You last comment got me thinking...there is something not right with the look of that 96..it gives me a bad gut feeling which I trust. The rear bumper has a mark on it and the front one is tweaked some.

BTW, the 97 looks the better by. I will try and get out there again and do the HG check. Heck, at 170k, I have no problem replacing the HG if I have to.

As for wheeeling, I just sold a 2003 V8 4runner and banked the money. I want something that I can drive every day and wrench on a bit without worrying about a 33k vehicle every day.

Down the road, I plan on getting a sedan for daily driver so I really do plan on making the truck trail ready. Nothing too drastic. Stick with the 16 inch wheels and go for some tires, the 2" OME set up that requires no wholesale component changing and replace the running boards with sliders or slider/steps.

All I have to do now is move the pristine 93 SR5 V6 manual 4Runner that I have owned for 2 days :rolleyes:

David

KliersLC said:
No need to ask for civility around here, it is given to all who don't act like tards.
Agreed!
It never fails to amaze me how quickly this group can spot the tards :D

If your gut feeling is to go with the 97, then that's the one to get. Seems like a good deal, based on your description.

If you stick with the OME (non-J springs) you should be able to get by with minimal to no additional work.

Welcome to the forum :flipoff2:

Good luck!

I second the front wheel service. I bought a great condition 98 with 105K miles and lost the front right wheel first time over rocks because the lock-nut had not been fully closed.

Also, I'm originally from UK too and I recently spoke to a friend who was the assistant accountant at Buckingham Palace who told me Lady Di had a Land Cruiser that she always took for trips in Africa and Australia. And please don't make the obvious joke about where she really needed it was France.

MH_Stevens said:
I second the front wheel service. I bought a great condition 98 with 105K miles and lost the front right wheel first time over rocks because the lock-nut had not been fully closed.

Also, I'm originally from UK too and I recently spoke to a friend who was the assistant accountant at Buckingham Palace who told me Lady Di had a Land Cruiser that she always took for trips in Africa and Australia. And please don't make the obvious joke about where she really needed it was France.

Cool beans !

BTW, If I close the deal today, I will mail my wallet to Buck house and have them hold it for me for a while to limit the mod fever.... ;p

My 99 4runner started as a daily driver and ended up Super charged, lifted, locked ,slidered and racked.... not to mention the outrageous stereo system :D

I am itching to cut work and go do the HG test so I can close the deal.

David

P.S> ANyone done a HG replacement themselves ??

Only been here half a day and I am already replying to my own threads :rolleyes:

Anyway, ran the CARFAX report on the 97, confirm the two owners.

Last recorded entry was a year ago at 144k when it had a dealer service.

Alrighty, wish me luck.... going to go do the HG test now.

David

nrgetic99 said:
I will mail my wallet to Buck house and have them hold it for me for a while to limit the mod fever....

Not so fast newbie. You need a trusted source to hold your wallet. You can send it to Beowulf@PayPal.com for safekeeping. Be sure to include all the credit cards.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom