Greetings - and 24v / 12v question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cherry Baby (my 81 bj40) is in the hospital getting her rear quarter panels replaced. Getting steel again after flirting with the aluminum/fiberglass/new tub ideas. Very excited to get her back - while they are at it I'm getting a roll cage and soft top.

My 12v question is this: can a second, 12v alternator be installed to power the cigarette lighter and a couple other things? I hate having to put adapters and reducers anywhere I need power from this 24v beast. Any ideas?

Hello to all the ex-SOR forum folks.

I'm not a diesel person, but don't you have two 12V batteries underhood? If so, you can tap off one battery and run your circuits.

If you want to add another alternator, you'll have to add another battery (you shouldn't run accessories straight off the alternator).

Make sure you fuse appropriately - fuses protect wires, not devices.

i would go to you local heavy equiptment parts store and get a power converter then you can run your accessories off of that, that is what we use in our shop for our heavy equipt that is 24v when we need 12v for 2way radios and stuff. :D

I had been running an amp off one of the batteries (yes they are both 12v), but that one began to go dead rather often, so I figured it was time to look for another solution.

Do you think a 2nd, 12v alternator would drag down performance significantly?

I wouldn't fool with a second alternator. Just do what stretch said.
With those 24v systems its very important that the batteries have equal draw or they will get out of wack, and once they get out of wack it only accelerates the problem. a 24 -> 12v converter is your best option.

Thanks for the thoughts, crew. Maybe I'll look into a stronger 24v alternator to keep both batts more pumped up

shameless - AKA BenCE on SOR

You are correct, you do not want to tap off either battery for your 12V. Throws everything out of wack, and it will cost you more in the long run.

Get a 24v-12v converter, as has been suggested. A good one is http://www.solarconverters.com They have a 20 amp and 50 amp version. Do a web search and other manufacturers will come up.

I have been using them, and think they are great. You can hook them up to load balance, or simply as a converter.

Note...affiliation, as I've been known to sell them, so like I said, do a search and find the solution that suits your needs.

gb

Hard for her to bounce me out of my seat when she has been laid up for bodywork almost all summer ;) I suspect I will begin thinking about suspension tweaks shortly after getting her back though - perhaps removing another leaf in the back.

I'll look into good converters - thanks :)

I use a 24/12 converter, charger. This piece ties into the 24 volt system and gives you a 20amp charge at 12v if you want to add a 3rd battery, and/or run 12v equipment up to a 20 amp draw. I run this with a 3rd battery and then run all my 12 volt equipment off of the battery. This application gives me real battery voltage to my equipment with no real limits on current and will charge the battery with all leftover current if everything is off. If you want to run a stereo in the factory location and want the radio to work just like factory(switched voltage for power, batt voltage for memory and light wire for nightime use) you can use 24v relays that have 24 volt coils and then wire the contacts off of the 12 source. My .02

Sounds like a great idea, waggoner - got an equipment/brand list for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom