Green teail ride in May (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm new to the club (see introduction thread) and am planning to make it out for this run. I'll probably bring the whole family (wife + 3 kids (8, 5, and 3). Just curious if anyone else is gonna have kids in tow?

What time do you typically start/end?

Start is on trails by 9:00 and finish is when ever we need or want it to be as long as it's before dark.

OK guys, May 4th looks pretty clear right now. I've got a BaoFeng en-route, will be getting myself a AAA account here shortly, and hopefully will have a chance to pick up some basic recovery gear before the trip. At that point it's just a question of whether the FJ40 will survive the journey. I'm probably not going to stay over/camp - although I'd love to. With the 7mo old at home I don't want to leave my wife stranded for 2 days.

Point of administration since I'm one of the newbies - if we are "on trails" by 9am - what time should I get there to get registered with Rausch and do whatever else is necessary to be on time?

Also - if there's anyone south of Rausch and East of Susquehanna, maybe we could meet up and Caravan.

South or RC East of the Susquehanna. I'm in lancaster. I take rt 72 to I81

I'll likely be coming up 272 to Lancaster - from there my options will be route 72 out to 81 or going due north up 501 it looks like.

72 to 81 is probably faster - and that is both a good and a bad thing in a FJ40! As long as you don't mind the right lane, we could probably meet around Lancaster and I could do my best to keep up. I'll probably be out of gas by Lancaster anyway ;)

OK guys, May 4th looks pretty clear right now. I've got a BaoFeng en-route, will be getting myself a AAA account here shortly, and hopefully will have a chance to pick up some basic recovery gear before the trip. At that point it's just a question of whether the FJ40 will survive the journey. I'm probably not going to stay over/camp - although I'd love to. With the 7mo old at home I don't want to leave my wife stranded for 2 days.

Point of administration since I'm one of the newbies - if we are "on trails" by 9am - what time should I get there to get registered with Rausch and do whatever else is necessary to be on time?

Also - if there's anyone south of Rausch and East of Susquehanna, maybe we could meet up and Caravan.
Sucks I’m gonna miss this run, I fly out to Wyoming that day. If you’re gonna meet up with Andy on the way up I can drop off my bag of recovery gear at his place for you to borrow, save your money for gas and diapers.

I may take you up on your offer if you really don’t mind lending it out - hopefully I won’t wind up needing it! Would help give me an idea of what I need to pick up moving forward.

The Cruiser fund is separate from the diaper fund - so I may still pick up some basics before the trip but I’m sure whatever I end up getting will be missing some pieces in the short term.

I am really shooting to do this trip, if I do, I will be leaving from the Newark/Elkton area.

You don’t need any recovery gear for this trip. I’m sure the other guys will have whatever you need and be more than happy to assist.

I am really shooting to do this trip, if I do, I will be leaving from the Newark/Elkton area.

Awesome - you must be about 20min from me. If you wind up going, let me know, we can caravan up and perhaps meet @jamarquardt22 on the way.

You don’t need any recovery gear for this trip. I’m sure the other guys will have whatever you need and be more than happy to assist.

Assuming the 40 survives - this won't be my last wheeling trip (consider this the shake-down run). In the long run, I'm going to need some of this stuff - but maybe I'll hold off until I've been out and have a better idea of what I need - especially if I can arrange to borrow @TrapperHunt's gear on this trip.

- Is there anything I absolutely SHOULD bring along?

- Again - just checking if we are "on trails" at 9 - how much earlier than that do I need to get there to get checked in/registered?

I may take you up on your offer if you really don’t mind lending it out - hopefully I won’t wind up needing it! Would help give me an idea of what I need to pick up moving forward.

The Cruiser fund is separate from the diaper fund - so I may still pick up some basics before the trip but I’m sure whatever I end up getting will be missing some pieces in the short term.
Don’t mind at all, probably won’t need it on the trails like said but if something breaks on the drive up or back it’ll come in handy.

how much earlier than that do I need to get there to get checked in/registered?

Generally, get to the lot by 8:30 to register, and air down.

We like to be on the trails no later than nine, and are, usually, pretty punctual.

- Is there anything I absolutely SHOULD bring along?

Spare tire, strap, and a point at which to tie the strap D-ring or such) are a good start. These are just in case items, for green trails it should be a good day.

- Again - just checking if we are "on trails" at 9 - how much earlier than that do I need to get there to get checked in/registered?

8-830 would be a good time to get there, leave time to.get registered and aired down for the day.

Thanks! Hopefully I can pick a couple recovery items up and borrow whatever else I need from @TrapperHunt or someone on the trail if it winds up being necessary. If I shoot to get out of my house by 5:45 or 6am I should be able to make it to Rausch by 8-8:30 in the 40.

Last noobie question (yeah right) - looking for suggestions as to how to tie all this stuff down. Bed of the 40 is currently empty - do I just lace some straps through the rollbars and then through all the gear to hold it at least somewhat in place?

Certainly it is important to firmly strap down your gear. I have a few items permanently mounted in the back off the 40. The auxiliary air tank is there, the fire extinguisher is solidly mounted and easily accessible, and there's also a rechargeable light. There's tie down hooks at each corner of the rear storage area in case anything needs to be lashed down. My recovery gear is kept in one of the long drawers in the storage box. Fellow club member sells the fire extinguisher and rechargeable light, he's in the Reading area (shameless plug!!!).
Safety gear.jpg

Safety gear.jpg
Ben box 2.jpg

Last edited:
Certainly it is important to firmly strap down your gear. I have a few items permanently mounted in the back off the 40. The auxiliary air tank is there, the fire extinguisher is solidly mounted and easily accessible, and there's also a rechargeable light. There's tie down hooks at each corner of the rear storage area in case anything needs to be lashed down. My recovery gear is kept in one of the long drawers in the storage box. Fellow club member sells the fire extinguisher and rechargeable light, he's in the Reading area (shameless plug!!!).
View attachment 1934742

Assuming something this swanky is out for the trip in May - If you only had the stock rear bed and jump seats of a 40 - how would you do it? I was looking at a couple of those ratcheting cargo bars to mount across the wheel wells to make a "cradle," put all the gear in between them, and using them as a point to tie webbing off on, over all the gear. Just not sure how well a friction bar would hold in the event I do tip the truck over...

I use soft tool bags to carry my recovery gear. Work great for storage, easy removal, and easy enough to strap down if you wanted to.

A properly secured FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!!!
A large one at that.

This is on the list - I have a little 1-2lb extinguisher under the seat but my understanding is that’s next to useless. Planning to mount a 5lb extinguisher before the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom