Greasing Birfs temporarily (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine gets messy like the pic from time to time but not as bad I also think that my felts are worn out so they let grease by easier because the grease still has a good consistency to it not soupy yet.
I drain and refill the diff every other oil change, diff oil is cheap, and there is some moly in the diff but not alot.
I make sure that the knuckle has grease and I am good to go.
My birfs don't click and grease and diff oil are not running all over the place.
I just keep and eye on it and wheel hard when I can.

Can anyone guide me to the write up that has a lot of picture and step by step instructions on replacing the seals and servicing the front axles? I need to get that project lined up and buy my parts.

You can do a search, top right corner underneath your screen name; click on search, then type in what you are looking for such as front+axle+service, then select 80 section, and you will get dozens of hits. The main one with photos is in the Frequently Asked Question section (FAQ), link is at the top of the 80 forum main page; it has many important tips and a list of the suggested tools. There is also a DVD you can buy from El Mariachi, search for him and his email address if you want a copy. You can order parts from any vendor or dealer; I went with American Toyota in NM, the Landcruiser parts guys there know our rigs backwards and forwards and are members of the forum.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...2011-added-concretejungles-1fze-overhaul.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/78276-front-axle-rebuild-faq.html

I did my front end rebuild over a weekend. It was hard to do, just messy and the cleaning of the parts takes the most time. I did replace the wheel bearings in the process and was planning replacing the birfs but decided not to once I cleaned and inspected them. They are tight and no clicking with 167k miles on them.

I really appreciate the information. I am mechanically inclined so it shouldn't be too difficult, but I do prefer getting all the information up front and understanding it fully, I think I might opt for the DVD if it's worthwhile...never hurts to see all the information possible.

My front end is clicking a bit at tight turns under acceleration. I know it's hard to say, but do you think it would be worth my simple replacing the birfs at this time...what kind of cost are they? I would think the expense is in my time to do the job...and I don't like doing things twice...I also don't want the truck torn apart in my garage for a few weeks waiting for parts to show up after seeing they should have been replaced. I am also uncertain as to what to look for on a birf that should be replaced...would the damage be obvious or is it scoring or slightly worn components that aren't obvious? One last thing...should I go ahead and replace my wheel bearings or keep them? Not sure what they cost, but items that are $20-50 are better replaced while I am in there than to runt them questionably or have to order them after discovering them damaged. Thanks again for all the insite...I really appreciate the help.

Who is the guy on our forum from NM...I would think I should order parts from him and support the people on the forum. Thanks again!!

Mr Offshore: you wouldn't order your parts from forum members here, do a Google search to find the vendor. The SEARCH function here on Mud is your friend; birfs+clicking. The quick answer; the birfs can be separated from the axle shafts and swapped L to R, R to L.

L8Shift; Mudders who choose to go this route call American Toyota parts department during business hours. There are other vendors who also carry the parts needed for this job.

Last edited:
Update- I just pumped almost a full tube of this into each knuckle. They were very low but not 'soup'. Draining and filling the diff tomorrow.

2460b31a.jpg

I drained my diffs yesterday... I will be checking my grease level tomorrow evening.

Update- I just pumped almost a full tube of this into each knuckle. They were very low but not 'soup'. Draining and filling the diff tomorrow.

2460b31a.jpg

I just pumped a full tube into each of my birfs also. Cured the occasional "moaning and chattering" I was hearing from them. :)

I did a front axle rebuild for the first time almost a year and a half ago. My right front was clicking just like yours, only when accelerating in a turn.

When I opened the hub, my right birf was bone dry and the cage had cracked. The left was doing alright, but I replaced both with new and kept the ok birfield as a backup.

Looking back, just adding grease could've saved the right birfield, but live and learn.

I recommend a copy of the FSM instructions with you on doing the axle rebuilds. The forums and guides were great for tips on what tools were needed, but the FSM just lays it all out step by step when you're up to your elbows in grease. I definitely recommend xeroxing it, I used my original which left some grease fingerprints.

fzj80locked: Post # 17 shows the inspection port hole that can be used to add grease to the knuckles. You'll need a 9/16" 12 pt socket or just a crescent wrench to loosen the pipe plug that is in that hole. Clean off the knuckle around the plug before you open it and be careful not to cross-thread the plug when you put it back in.

Last edited:
No adapter needed, you don't have to connect the nozzle up to the hole. Standard grease gun nozzles will fit inside the hole just barely. Some people remove the nozzle and pump it in that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom