Grease for lubing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
drive shaft, u-joints, and etc? i had read from another thread that you need all different type of grease to lubricate all these different parts. Is that true? DO you guys have all these grease and gun to lube separate?

Crisco! No, just joking, I use Mobil 1 grease everywhere, some probably do use different greases for different areas but for me the Mobil 1 seems to work well. HTH

The spec calls for “lithium base wheel bearing grease, NLGI No.2” for the shafts U-joints and wheel bearings and “molybdenum disulfide lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No.2” in the birfield,

I have heard it may not be good to use the moly grease in the wheel bearings as they may slide instead of roll, the CV in the birf requires the moly as an extreme pressure backstop, if the grease gets squeezed out the moly protects until grease gets moved back in the joint (hopefully after a rev or 2 ) so technically if you want to “put 6 squirts in the birf” and grease the shafts every oil change then you will need 2 grease guns

I am going to try Aeroshell 17 in the birf and MobilGrease 28 everywhere else, both are synthetic (the 17 is group 5, the 28 group 4) until I try it out for a wile I cannot recommend others do so, I just bought a second grease gun yesterday

Molybdenum disulfide is an additive, it's molecular structure forms into plates that slide over each other very easily. Lithium is a soap that maintains thickness up to fairly high temps, that's what thickens most oil into grease, including Mobil1. Grease is just oil with thickeners to keep it in stuck to the parts. Drop temp is the temp where the lithium liquifies, and the grease turns into oil. At that point it runs off the parts and may run out of the gearbox seals. I have a tube of Mr Moly grease, which uses clay based thickeners. It's supposed to have an incredibly high drop temp, around where metals begin to fail. I bought hoping I wouldn't have that puddle around my grease gun in the summer, but I still do.

Parts that roll on each other, like ball and needle bearings, don't really need much lubrication. They mostly need grease to manage heat. I believe too little friction can allow heavily loaded rolling parts to slide and wear flat spots, which gets worse once it begins.

Sliding parts, like gears, need lots of lubrication, and flat spots aren't a consideration.

Wheel bearings are heavily loaded and relatively slow rolling, I can see why they'd recommend against moly as the ideal grease there. That said, modern bearings are incredibly smooth and tough, I doubt you'll have a problem if you do use moly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom