GPS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
OFF ROAD GPS

What do you use & how do you Like it ?

TwoNav is a APP. ? what do you Like about it ?

Thanks RB

I use US Topo Maps Pro on a Samsung tablet. What I like about it is the ability to store a wide variety of maps (USGS Topo, Forest Service, etc.) offline so no cell service is required. Also nice having a decent size screen, but you still end up zooming in and out a lot. The maps also take up considerable room, but I just put in a 128GB card to deal with that. I had the tablet and the app cost like $12. Works well for me but am always looking for something better too.

You may want to ask over on Camping and Outdoor Gear section.

MotionX GPS HD on iPad. I like it for the most part.

Gaia GPS is great. $30 for an annual subscription which gives you a ton of different map layers and features. Works across all platforms too.

CDB8B958-33C9-46F6-AB03-476701005599.png

Thanks for all the good info. excuse my ignorance, do these need a cell signal to work

Over the years I have tried several and ended with an iPad and maily run Gaia and Maps.me. The iPad has the best clear screen by far when wearing polarized sun glasses as in you can see it. Gaia GPS offers over 20 different maps that can be overlayed. When going into a new area I use an aerial, topo, and nat geo to provide me with all the info one can use. It also works all over the world. When traveling on a 2 track and you come to a side road that does not show on the topo just look on the aerial to see where it goes and what down it. I have found some very cool sites and building using this system in the past. I also use my iPad for my back up camera. I runs MAPS.ME for points of interest and other notable places like stores, restaurant, and gas stations. Map.me also works all over the world in the smallest countries and its constantly updating info.

Gaia customer service has been second to none. When I was testing both IOS and android Gaia I bitched on Expo about Gaia. The co-founder of Gaia reached out to me personally and addressed all of my complains and concerns above and beyond. Im now a customer for life.

Anyone have experience with E32? Looks like the latest/greatest for Baja maping software but I have my concerns and would like some feedback before $$.

htLWaoBzf2NfMjbN9UtgDci-d7_SYP1Th9JdwvEdkjItrJr8ZCMjonpiuv_TNfc6ZUvbpkthLxGfONWlbRjZrwyxL7a4OunKLOw7awplXqJXJNlxInbUkvfbBCMdp5G_qrtLRPuFCg1JUZ5WiUyyZb2ONvtUCM-KRaGpkV03zajzfXRAxdO4NWsFjBR2tUSMJnXOfiCqCsTXRuO9Rcz1A20yFtDxYKJ03UI0ypZkqkkZ12ARtAl_9AnnM9pEMje39AqGiFkOkjm-QGu12Jsv7jCOioWxxUPjLTtH82qx34SJBz4fiJQvgyi9CNKM1Efe70MDtT1RLE6obPOwfc3sL6tiKx4Rh4WzA10uKFVQnoonKsKjmGPyduR-kfJLZAANP5-6O7sok3PTi-uXimZr5F_7w4TLt1wWFR2Tr-sFQpM3P-nSlpnQ6NjSCadYj0IvNazqqSKfq-eAsS9KPY2kNDkulCschNGPxpMkhBfyEvW8WDBsJ9IO6jcc5SCnCn4hAdTxW6QOYEDF8K8AVku4eK81rEln4b4SnJhUmriTCHwPTaBxnjBCKCkG-r899-DPXXKltVYiw5Y_H8lqCBlb8we137iCJ73ldcobA8dEakhWMW0gkx3gW0rjQyIdFsJvm_lkuZoSctXqKi4tGEF3NN11NA=w1250-h938-no

m3TaKtNWs7cr_SfW7USfaDmqONVlZtAT5vFtXTKfsVIg9kv7jTsVflldWpPAoZ-udckgoXYB76sVX27Qtiuwuroy0H1RYYiSGqFmpQzFbA3jEJaMzfTchPHAOlNvSq93Nx_U5E81QouTG7tU0azLnYc0Vrjij15DLQFBTwxOhZsXnroY4314p0PmC-zQG8nNdAmm-UGqfwEH_AhVfmUGKr9EcUq21ji51Rvr-CxZ_6BPQ1w87iF1GnYFVQrsybeSNjZKmtMnaUvAEOruFGmSUSFsb9ZeMaWAbdQA6vDjOVoNIx_d6BjkCa_mO27XjI6HGP2DhLKEm8a64gNfvd_YROrK5jP6LGFbmzuQA-0-Cgaqa03QiQV6c5RRCH7y0h1XTJltl-HgaUaWFUqq1WrRdmeGnCX7H5Aqv50Qho0gygcdC7FGmYb7RTrHoLRq7HZxaEmvoByFQvZUrQWpwiTCEmvjG2ZftZlnbkV-gwWjnybUF5N2MwlPp7XHJtwyVCaFjbj2HEKcZw_hub0tNxe-3EDpv8srPNDF_9en3yKPPtl7YoGraSoq8S0ZeUBtr3y2WwDzEh11WbnBt6X95TMP7NDUR2pL9_Qunm-ZOTj_RQbFEzp1eXz_Pe7YndG-tPCRjJZJ7PcUyhLTg6lgdVFxy4v9Qw=w1668-h938-no

Last edited:
Is there any unit that's similar to the VMS portable nav that they use in Australia? It seems like it'd be a good option for those wanting very little complication in the map area and a smaller screen.

Edit: turns out there is here in the US. Magellan makes one that has some mixed reviews. See below Youtube review:

Last edited:
8DC18078-5D8E-4C17-B366-B4D95CD14CDE.jpeg

Toughbook with topo USA

I prefer Hema maps as it gives a lot of options. Download different layers to make sure you're covered. Most important, you're phone isn't a GPS unit and shouldn't be used as one. If you're serious about going off-road invest in a Bad Elf GPS unit that you can connect to your iPhone, ipad, tablet, etc. It is a much more accurate solution. I recently got my bad elf and it makes such a difference!

Over the years I have tried several and ended with an iPad and maily run Gaia and Maps.me. The iPad has the best clear screen by far when wearing polarized sun glasses as in you can see it. Gaia GPS offers over 20 different maps that can be overlayed. When going into a new area I use an aerial, topo, and nat geo to provide me with all the info one can use. It also works all over the world. When traveling on a 2 track and you come to a side road that does not show on the topo just look on the aerial to see where it goes and what down it. I have found some very cool sites and building using this system in the past. I also use my iPad for my back up camera. I runs MAPS.ME for points of interest and other notable places like stores, restaurant, and gas stations. Map.me also works all over the world in the smallest countries and its constantly updating inf
Well there’s persuasion and then there’s Navigation

Last edited:
I prefer Hema maps as it gives a lot of options. Download different layers to make sure you're covered. Most important, you're phone isn't a GPS unit and shouldn't be used as one. If you're serious about going off-road invest in a Bad Elf GPS unit that you can connect to your iPhone, ipad, tablet, etc. It is a much more accurate solution. I recently got my bad elf and it makes such a difference!

Most if not all tablets set up for a data sim card have GPS even if it not activated making Bad Elf is not needed.

Last edited:
I used to run DeLorme on my old Tuffbook. I had the hi res version of nearly ALL of Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, along with much of New Mexico and Nevada, but Garmin bought them out and proceeded to kill them off. So, now I have a newer Tuffbook and I use a lot of CalTopo with a lot of different layers including historical and Fire info on them. I really like Avenzamaps as they have nearly every forest, park, and topo west of the Mississippi, including the local area maps produced for the Tonto N F by TRAL, my volunteer group. Forest asked us to inventory all 3000ish miles in a 5 year period and now, 3 years in, we have all but 100ish done. It's a tuff job, but SOMEBODy's gotta do it!

Most if not all tablets set up for a data sim card have GPS even if it not activated making Bad Elf is not needed.
Not sure about Android or others, but Apple Ipad pro latest model and previous ones do not have true GPS. Nor do the Iphones. They use a made up version of GPS that uses wireless triangulation and strength measurements. Not GPS. YMMV. I'm confident in the GPS coordeinates provided by Bad Elf, they are quite different than what my Ipad and IPhone state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom