GPS Tracker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need an anti-theft GPS tracker. Just not the best neighborhood. The Club just isn't enough around here.

Anyone install one of these on there 60 series and have a recommendation?

Any other anti-theft tips are appreciated!

Cheap cell phone wired into power supply with location app hidden in car is an option.

Take a look at Monimoto products. While they are designed for motorcycles, I don't see why one couldn't use them for a car too.

www.monimoto.com

Cheers, James

Check Amazon for vehicle gps trackers. Lot of options as far as size, mounting location and monthly cost.

A GPS tracker and a kill switch would be best, it's hard to steal something you can't drive. If they steal it on a flat bed you can track it.

I believe when I checked into this you can find trackers that don’t require a subscription

I believe when I checked into this you can find trackers that don’t require a subscription
I haven’t seen a free service, you get what you pay for?

Also, get a tracker that is hard wired, charging or replacing batteries several times a week would get old. A friend uses a Trak4 on his sports cars. 🏎

I haven’t seen a free service, you get what you pay for?

Also, get a tracker that is hard wired, charging or replacing batteries several times a week would get old. A friend uses a Trak4 on his sports cars. 🏎

iTrail GPS Logger, not a tracker

LandAirSea Tracking Key 2. To view the GPS data logs, just retrieve and plug it into Windows computer or Mac.

VyncsPro GPS Tracker. VyncsPro GPS Tracker draws power from OBD-II port, so there is no battery needed. You need to pay $74.99 renew for the 2nd year.

GPSit1000BZL LTE Vehicle Tracking Device. You need to pay $99 annually after the first year.

JLEKONG GPS Tracker. Only need to pay GSM 2G SIM card's fee of calling and data. Must work by the GSM 2G network.

VyncsFleet GPS Tracker. VyncsFleet GPS Tracker draws power from OBD-II port. You need to pay a $99.99 renewal fee after the first year.

Automatic Connected Car Assistant AUT-450C. Automatic Connected Car Assistant also gets power from the OBD-II port. Premium services are free for the first 6 months, then $5/month.

🧐

Its a dutch site but maybe you cna find it somewhere at you location:

Its a gps tracker with no montly fee.

A couple thoughts.
First, many police departments don't much care about stolen cars, especially when someone you know or are related may have taken it. The D.A. won't take such a case and the cops don't want to get sued if the thing goes bad. Tens of thousands are stolen every month.
Second, if your rig is stolen, it is very common that you won't know your car WAS stolen for several hours, and it doesn't take long for them to move and strip, or to dump and burn it, or to otherwise ruin the thing.
Third, car thieves know all about kill switches and (it is very hard to hide them in older, simple rigs), and they know all about the Club, and so forth. It isn't rare that they are all set to defeat those before they make their move, right down to having a steering wheel puller and a spare steering wheel with them. Older, popular trucks like these are valuable when stripped down to untraceable parts.
These simple, old trucks are easy to take. Put tranny in neutral, release the brake, tow it out of sight, and do whatever work they need to. It is widely known that it only takes a couple Toyota keys from the old days to wiggle almost any of the door locks open and turn the ignition "on" (try you keys in your pal's truck), which defeats the steering lock if there is one and runs the rig just like you when are in the seat.
If I were to get a GPS tracker, I'd make sure it was a good one with a very sensitive GPS receiver. I'd set it for very frequent waypoint reporting in case it ends up in a warehouse blind to the satellites (doesn't do much good to know where it was say 5 minutes earlier than where it is hidden). I'd get a service or a tracker that I could set to IMMEDIATELY alert ME upon ANY movement. I'd get one that I could monitor and go to any time I want to (track via smart phone) just in case the cops don't care or are tied up, or won't bother.
It will not be free.
That is what I think.

If I lived in an area where this was a real issue, I'd move. Won't live where I have to put bars on my windows, trackers in my vehicles, etc. But that's just me.

If your car is stolen, I would just plan on not getting it back, at least in decent shape. I think the best thing you can do is get good insurance, so if it is stolen, you can at least replace it.

These are all really helpful replies. I'll be talking with my mechanic today about a kill switch and hood lock. So far, I only have the club (which makes me feel a bit better but I'm aware isn't very effective). I took a sizable insurance policy out too.

Los Angeles is truly a great place to live, but like any other city in the US car theft is a concern. After kill switch I may be looking into a LoJack system. Is all this overkill? Maybe, but my new 62 and my piece of mind are worth it to me. Now onto the next 100 projects I have in mind for it!

One last question if anyone wants to chime in:

My mechanic suggested a key fob alarm. He told me he could wire it so when I locked it from the fob it would disable the starter and engine. If anyone tried to steal the audible alarm will go off. I didn't get specifics more than that but it sounded good to me.

He told me he'd have to look into it, but it should run more than $250. I trust this guy but wanted to post and see if it all added up?

Aftermarket alarms always cause problems

I have no affiliation with this company/product but I was considering adding this to my truck after seeing one on a car at a local car show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom