Got to ask about who makes the best Aluminum radiator's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Hey guys, in the last few years it seems as my stock radiator keeps finding seeps for me to fix as this is the third one as of late.
The shops that have done the work have been telling me that the old 40 year old radiator is loosing it's integrity in fighting off problems as that is no surprise.
Well I started out looking for a replacement and yes 99% are made in China and all are aluminum radiator's of unknown names.
So the qestion is for all that have replace the radiator in their FJ40-45 with a aluminum radiator chime in and post what maybe the worst and stay away from and what is the best and why.
I would love to buy a made in the USA radiator but the very few ones I have found are for Chevy engine conversions and cost around $700. o_O
So can you share your experience with me and others please on this subject. Thanks in advance.

s-l1600.jpg

If you’re rig is stock I would get a stock copper and brass unit. Some are still available from Toyota ( depending on the year) otherwise Terrain Tamer has some stock reproductions. Georg stocks and sells them state side.

If you have to have an aluminum unit Ron Davis probably makes the best here in the USA. I have one in my 45 with a 12HT and I’m pleased with his work. Georg also uses his units for race applications.

Yes I was looking at the Champion radiators. Will research them some more.
I saw that name Ron Davis on a post if not mistaken will have to run that also. I did come across what appears to be a NOS Fj40 radiator for around $500 but one has to tread slowly on things now due to the large market of counterfeit goods and parts, but thats a another story.
Any idler what Georg is selling them for? Regardless I can ask him.

Thanks guys

I’ve heard lots of good things about the Ron Davis stuff too. My 40 has a RamJet 350 and the Champion has been solid (no affiliation). But I would call Georg as you noted… I’ve never gotten bad advice from him! I’d also call the guys at Champion. They were very straightforward and answered lots of questions for me.

Good luck!

Hey thanks guys, I have revived a few PM but if you would please post here so others can also benefit with the information, thanks.
I have a email out to Ron Davis also was looking at the Mishimoto brand. I don't know about the DH racing radiator but I will look that one up also.

Thanks

Look good but I don't think $700 starting fits the budget especially before Xmas, thanks.
Anyone - is there any truth that Champion (made in China) and HD racing (made in china) are one of the same radiators but the Champion has a polish to it. Both radiators when viewed on the three cores seem to be identical. About a $40-$50 difference. Not sure who makes what anymore seems a lot of companies stamp their name on a product thats mass stamped out with only a small amount of difference requested from the company's. :bang:

Well took some time to research a little more and finding out that Champion and a few other radiators are not as perfect for direct installing as one might think. The dimensions are almost 1/2" -3/4" off for mounting to the stock radiator frame mount. The widest to the edge (not holes) of the bracket mount is 22 1/8" , my bracket (1982 FJ45) is 23 1/16", the mount holds would be a problem with some engineering.
Also the repair part that I completely forgot about, can be a problem to repair a aluminum radiator, again that depends were the damage is. Still thats not a game changer but just something to think about compared to the old brass.
Anyone ever deal with theses guys, the price is right and looks identical to original (I have) but has not one bit of detail on specs.

Will keep slugging at it

Cheers

Hey guys anyone know if after 1980 the FJ40/45s radiator cradle frame that holds the radiator in place or both the frame cradle and core size of the radiators went to a more wider size after 1980. I have been looking at the Champ C-180 radiators but they are showing a 22" overall width and my 1982 overall width on my radiator is 23.5" . Nice radiator but contacting them they are telling me that is will fit and I am telling them that the mount holes will not match up at 22".
Anyone run into this with the Champ C-180 on any year?

champ radiator.jpg

Bump

I really like the quality of the Ron Davis radiators and have an order in with them now. I had to order a custom unit and am currently at 16 weeks and waiting, worth the wait if you have time. Figured I would share in the event that plays into your decision process. If you are just ordering a stock replacement you might be able to find one on the shelf somewhere.

Last edited:
Well as of now I have been trying to locate a stock FJ40 78-85 radiator support and shroud but not much luck and the only one I did find was at a cost of $400 I'm not going with that. If I can find the smaller support/shroud then I can install a stock 22" radiator that is common at the dealer and online for the FJ40s.
Are you having the lager 23.5" wide radiator made or?
I have contacted a few radiator shops in regards to a custom made radiator that will replace my larger radiator but have had know reply's as of yet. They do not sell the 23.5" A/C style radiators at the dealers only the small FJ40 size.
My last option is to pay around $500 +/- a few dollars to have the failing one I have now repaired. Looks as that most likely will be the way to go as of now.

Cheers

Why not just get an different radiator support used here on mud and get a more common radiator?

Hey Bud,
That was plan B as mentioned, and I did put up a Wanted Radiator support and shroud post in the parts section with very little response if any.
It's looking more now to save a few bucks after Xmas and just have the old radiator gone over completely.

Cheers

I just received a quote from Ron Davis. All I said in my email was I was looking for a radiator for my V8 FJ40 and was wondering if they had a bolt in option. I thought they would write back for details like how much HP am I running, what V8 do I have, etc.....Nope, nothing other than an email quote of $1100 and no specs, pictures, info, nada, nothing, etc...... Are they NUTZ? :eek:

First of all they have that pattern on file. I'm sure that's why they didn't have any questions about your application. Secondly you don't even want to know what their radiator to fit my 78' 45 with a 12HT and PS cost!

First of all they have that pattern on file. I'm sure that's why they didn't have any questions about your application. Secondly you don't even want to know what their radiator to fit my 78' 45 with a 12HT and PS cost!
Well pattern or no pattern they will need to know if I am running 300hp or 1000hp to know if what they have will be sufficient. They did not ask if I need built in trans cooling ports, do I need a shroud with the radiator, etc....at the very least they should have provided a spec sheet. Been waiting on that spec sheet or any reply for 3 days now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom