Got a problem now that it's cold out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rick- Got your sound file...Sounds the same as mine. Exactly how long is yours lasting? Mine will be in short bursts (2-3 secs). You didn't cut and dup this one right??!!!!! If not, man yours is WAY worse than mine. Also, I just turned 76k on mine so I'm sure if I keep driving it of course it will eventually sound like that.....

Keep me updated.
Mark

Rick,

Checked my Email. I can enlarge my penis, have a weekend long erection, lose weight, eliminate all debt, buy canadian drugs, buy this year's hottest Christmas gifts - but not listen to your noise.

Please EMail it :D

Ed

Since there are 2 sound files floating around the newest one that is un-editted is called "96 Noise.wav". If you haven't recieved this one, pm me again and I'll get it to you. For those who haven't heard it, it is a noise that if you recognised it you'd have the solution. It is that distinct and unique.

Rick,

That's it. That is it.

If not a goose honking, then maybe more accurately a sick goose, or a constipated goose. But that is the same noise I had.

Now I'm determined to find that receipt to see exactly what the tech wrote.

I did find a receipt for a 30,000 mile service that included checking and repacking wheel bearings. That was done about 10,000 miles before the goose started honking.

Ed

Rick,

I was able to hear the second soundbite.

To confirm a couple things:

kicking the trans into neutral and reving the engine does nothing to change the noise, correct?

If that is the case, I suspect a dry spindle bushing.

D-

Dan,
Where abouts are these bushings. I need the truck for a job next week in NJ. I'm ready to do all the bearings tomorrow. But beyond that I'm going to wait.

Hell of a racket ain't it.

I'm with CDan on this - he beat me to it again. Holy crap that .wav file is downright chilling. If it were a wheel bearing, I think it would have siezed up by the end of the recording with that noise level. This is the important key - whatever it is, it is not load bearing or it would have long ago self destructed - and points directly to the spindle bushing. Many mechanics are unaware that grease needs to be put on this bushing and the shaft at this location. Those funny cuts on its surface are meant to hold the grease.

Other things I'd check though you may have:

Brake pad issue (so worn it's able to rotate a bit and "jam" against rotor on one side)
Pebble in the brake or dust shield dragging on the rotor now and then.

The loudness is astonishing, which leaves the two items above as possibles since the dust shield acts like a large speaker. Nice job on recording it and disseminating the result!

DougM

PS - I would also expect this lack of grease to be paired with failing to put grease on the axle tip right inside the little friction hub cap you see when the wheel center cap is removed. If you find this dry, likely the person who put it together was inexperienced as any good mechanic would also know to put it there......

They are inside the spindle. They are what the stub shaft rides in.

With the hub and bearings off all you will need to do is un bolt the spindle and look inside to see if the bushings look like they are gaulding. If not, grease the hell out of the inside of the spindle and the stub shaft and put it back toghter.

The IFS pickups would get dry spindle bushings and make a similar racket. It happend mostly cold and would mitigate or go away warm. Greasing them would solve the problem.

I PM'ed you with further details.

D-

Actually, if CDan knew how to spell 'galling' then I wouldn't have posted this. Galling is smearing of metal from one surface to another from extreme heat buildup. Most see it with lugnuts that are siezing and tightening as you are removing them. I don't think you'll see that here because there's not a lot of pressure there and it's a couple of very large parts that would be difficult to heat that high.

Having said that, I think it would be sufficient to know you've found the noise if you pull the spindle and find this surface dry. I'm pretty certain you'll need to have a paper gasket on hand as I recall there is one under the spindle-knuckle joint, right CDan?

DougM (spelling Nazi)

golly.............. :flipoff2:

I didn't spell it worth a pinch of $hit but U STILL knew what I meant :rolleyes:

Yes there is a paper gasket there. It is unlikely that the local dealer will have one. Rick may have spares. If the knuckle is split carefully the gasket may survive. I'd rather run with RTV and a greased spindle than wait.

Agree - that's pretty loud yowling on the .wav file.

DougM

Thanks guys! With that kind of sound I knew if someone knew the solution they would remember the sound. I'm heading back out there in a few minutes and start tearing into it. If the gaskets don't survive than I'll see about getting a couple of sheets of material and cutting my own.

Yes the end caps are dry. The guys who did the axle service are 40 and 60 techs so that wouldn't be as much an issue I don't think. When I confirm the repair I'll have to stop by and have a chat.

Dan, I'll have to correct the other post, you're one up on Superman :D

Doug, a little faster on the draw and your diagnosis percent might have been restored ::)

It's as cold as a witches tit out there today, I'll post later on what I find.

Thanks again

Dan, Doug thanks for the info! Man, I learn something new everytime I get on this board. Rick, stay warm as I know you guys on the East Coast are getting smacked.....

I'll check back later to see your findings Rick.

Cheers!
Mark

Well both fronts are apart and the bushings seem ok. The grooves that Doug mentioned were filled with dried grease. The DS was the worst and had some build up on the bushing that I couldn't remove totally with a rag but is smooth to the touch. No problems damaging the gaskets as there were none! Got some gasket material and cut my own. Another half hour on the PS and it will be done. Just came in to regain the feeling in my fingers.

Rick,

It sounds as though you have found your noise :cheers:

Am I a good guesser, or what? :beer:

Dan I hope so. As it is snowing here I can't fully say if the problem is solved because 40mph is a little dangerous. If you go back near the beginning of the thread you'll see where I asked about the bushing but was told that the mass of the parts would exclude that :(. No matter, if the noise is still there those bushings needed attention anyway.

E999999 asked for the file, don't think he'll get any sleep tonight :D.

Yep, that was me on the mass of the spindle bushing. I'd thought it was a higher pitch until hearing the recording (!). You know what that sound actually reminded me of? A lathe working on a part. Wow.

The deposit on the DS bushing is interesting - any color to it or other data point? Were you able to clean out the bushing's channels pretty well? Any clue what type/brand of grease they used when they did your axle? And finally, how did the axle surface look where it matches the bushing? It's much harder material, so I'd not expect much other than a polished look.

DougM

I tried to take a pic of the bushing however my flash doesn't seem to work. The surface looked like dried grease that was embedded in the brass. The mating surface on the axle was clean of anything. Just got back from another ride. At 35~40 mph I felt a slight vibration but no sound on the way to the store but nothing on the way back. That bushing might need a little time to set in.

That has to be the definitive wav file of this problem :D

Rick,

When it happened to me, it was such a binding feeling along with the sound that I was always surprised when it stopped after 10 to 30 seconds. It seemed that anything that could make that kind of noise would have to be totally, 100%, catastrophically destroyed.

Yet, it would disappear and not come back until maybe the next day.

Other times, it would do it every 5 minutes or so.

Just the idea that it could be so bad and then OK was very weird.

I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom