Got a problem now that it's cold out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank,

That's pretty bad, hope it's taken care of with the bushings.

"Colder than a witches tit" -- Too funny. My buddy always says that, where does it come from.

So stupid question here...when it says "Coat the inside of the cap with MP grease" how much grease are we talking about here? Are you supposed to pack it in there? I took it to mean just the edge to make it easier to install. Just how essential is it? Plan on going back in and fixing it anyway. Thanks

In the old days, the hub cap as that little guy is/was called would be packed full to provide a ready source to add some grease to the bearings on the road if needed. Right handy. Less neccessary now, but I pack mine full on the theory that less air space = less condensation potential, plus if things got hot in there, the grease might flow and get distributed into the splines, and on into the bushing. That's why you fill the hub space between the wheel bearings also, - if things start cooking the grease in there will begin flowing into the bearings and maybe save your bacon. Wouldn't count on it, though....

I've actually used the grease packed into the hub cap to limp home with the boat trailer and was glad I had 4 little cups worth to keep the bearing from siezing before getting home.

DougM

PS - It's "Colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra." Or "Colder than a witch's tit in the Klondike." :D

Where I grew up it was ..."Colder than a witch's tit on halloween"

Ed

Always heard it as "Colder than a witch's left tit in a Siberian snow storm"

Well the roads are a little better today. I took the truck out for a nice 30 minute drive and all is well. I leave tomorrow at 6:00am for New Jersey. Thanks for all the support and suggestions everyone. I really had no idea where to start and cost wise came out of it rather cheap. The bearings for all for wheels were $125.00, the gasket paper $1.65 and the experience = priceless.

Great news, Rick! :cheers:

Have a safe trip...

Ed

Great to hear Rick! We'll I better get started now.......quick question Rick, what did the rest of the bearings look like? If I'm gonna pull all 4 tires might as well do the bearings but do you think just greasing everything up real well would have also done the trick? Reason I ask, mine wasn't nearly as bad has yours was (very short bursts) and with only 75k seems kinda early to replace them all if I don't need to. I guess I'll just wait and see what mine look like when I get them apart and go from there. Thanks to all for the help!

Cheers!
Mark

Tank,
At 75k and having this bushing noise you need to do the axle service. To get to the bushing you are at the birf. One pull from having it out. As far as the bearings go, the inners looked fine however both outers had that weird wear pattern. That's the wavyness that is in the pic I posted. I was going for Koyos from the dealer but I was looking at somewhere around $400.00 for those and not being sure if it was the fix I went with the Timkens from autozone at $125.00. I didn't do the rears but am keeping the bearings and will do them later.

I agree. SHe had the dealership print out all prev records on the vehicle. Remember the dealership noted "knuckles serviced" on one of the reports. This was at 64k. Will call them this afternoon to find out what exactly was done. The birfs look fine and normal.

Mark

Just an update....

Front end repacked, bearings replaced (front only) and spindle lubed GOOD and heavy...Noise is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't have time to dive in and do it so I had someone else do it. Bearing were in good shape(since they were pulled, just had them put new ones in) but they said i would of had no problems with reusing the old ones. When asked if anything was dry or maybe not enough grease they claimed everything had enough grease...hmmm. Well, told them to go the extra mile and lube everything good. Thanks to all who helped. Rick and Dan, thanks for the assistance as well.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom