Got a problem now that it's cold out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those bearings looked just fine. Hopefully I'll get a recording tomorrow and can get it to you to listen to. If unsuccessful I'll replace the bearings.

I've got a schedule that puts me into NJ on Monday so I better get cracking.

Ed-

Thanks for yer feedback on this issue. If you don't mind me asking, what was the final bill from the shop on this?

Thanks! Mark

just got off the phone with my dealer. It's about $200.00 in parts for both sides, this is just the bearings. I'll be installing them tomorrow. I ordered the koyos because I have Timken and since it's a 96 thing I wanted to change and compare bearings.

Rick, the numbers are indeed correct and Koyo.

Timkin shows up as a choice starting in August 94 production. From then on, both are listed as options.

The 90368-45087-77 lists for $43.85 each and the 90368-49084-77 lists for $50.90 each.

D-

Did some more searching and read where Timkens can be gotten at Autozone. Checked them out and they had them in stock. Same bearing number embossed on bearing. However had to go to 2 different locations as they stock only 1 set per store around here. They don't include a race with the inner bearing for some reason but the total per side was $29.97 = inner race, inner bearing and outer bearing w/race.

It happened twice today and once it I had the window down and was sure it was the DS of the vehicle. Because of time I have only changed out the DS bearings.

A few observations:

First, Timken has changed there manufacturing technique, the original race was stamped with the bearing number on the side of the race while the new race was etched on the fat end.

Second, There was a wierd wear pattern on the race across from where the stamping was. Pic to follow.

I was able to get a recording of the noise :D. However to better grasp the soud I had to cut and repeat it so there is some uneveness to it but it is very close to what I was hearing. Not sure how to get it to anyone other than e-mail. It's a MP2 file but will play in a windows PC. It's only 84k in size.

U Da Man Rick! Tanks for the update and the info. Mine did it again today too AND its getting louder. Told the wife I have a date with the beast this weekend to fix it. Its so loud now even people standing in the general area can hear it.

PS. SEND ME SOME OF THAT SNOW! Way to brown here in Nebraska.....

Hey, this dropped me down to 99.7865% on diagnosis! :cheers:

If there's a wear pattern on the OUTSIDE of the bearing race, it could only come from the race spinning. How did the bearings look??? Strange. Could it not have been inserted completely and you're seeing the dust seal rotating on it? Haven't thought that one through. Which race is that, and which end is against the wood - thin or thick. Looks like thick..

Doug

Sorry for the confusion, look at the pattern on the inside of the race :eek:. It's wavy!!!! I think when they stamped the id numbers and such into the outside it streeetched the race and kind of warped it on the other side. It's real clear up close and personal. I think this is why they now etch the underside and not stamp it anymore.

The thicker part is on the bottom.

I've been to 5 autozones and 1 more to go to complete a set of 4 for the whole truck. Won't be done until this weekend as I have other obligations as well.

The noise is still there, but after seeing that race, regardless of the outcome all bearings must go!

I sent a few of you the MP2 file. Doug and tank you have mail :D. Tank let me know what you think as far as compared to your situation.

I can't seem to play this file. Can it be sent as a .wav file or an MP3 file?

DougM

Doug I'll try again tomorrow. I only had a small sample and tried to cut and dup it so as to sound longer. That mp2 file should play on a computer with Microsoft media player. I've now processed the file so much it doesn't sound like much of anything.

Rick,

I PM'ed my Email address. Figured that it was safe to do because if the noise is still there after all the time and expense to change the bearings and races, you probably won't come all the way from Mass. to Cal to track me down. :D

Ed

Mark,

I seem to have mis-filed the receipt. My wife would say that it's in one of the many piles of stuff I leave lying around.

I remember the approx total but I had new brake pads put on since there would be no additional labor charge. Then said wtf, put new pads on the rear also. Think I had some other stuff done also.

Will look for the receipt tonight.

Ed

Go ahead with another MP2 file if you get an improved one. I did manage to listen to it on a buddy's 'puter. Sounded impressively bad if that's a bearing, I must say. Here's something that should definitely change it's tone or something if it's a wheel bearing. You can't put force on the bearing with braking or accelerating so give that up in terms of making a change in sound (other than the faster/slower nature of the sound). No. Try weaving back and forth. This will put dramatic amounts of force on the bearings in turn (inner vs outer).

Either way, the group will have a win/win here and learn something. I find this fascinating that several of you poor '96 owners have it. Must have been the month that the Japanese won a world cup in soccer or something.

DougM

This morning was unusually good for the bad sound. I have a complete 5 sec. recording in all it's glory. It's in a wav file and about 1mb. I'll email it to a few who have asked and later today anyone interested I'll try and follow up.

If there is someone willing to post it I'll get it to them.

Thanks Ed for getting back to me...

Doug-I'll try that tonight. Should be interesting to see what the other bearings look like when Rick gets them all replaced. I just hope this will solve it. Maybe its a color deal. I know for a fact two of us in this situation have Black Cruisers.....=-)

Cheers!
Mark

Rick, I sent you (PM) another email address to send that file too. If you get a chance, send it.....

Mark

Guys,

What do we think is happening here? Is the cold weather shirnking the race to the point that it's spinning? Looking at the pics, it seems that the babbit (spell?) is showing through, indicating a worn bearing, right? Or is the grease not doing its thing at that temp?

ali
'96

Did you check for play in the hub? Could the noise be something other than the bearing but related, e.g., axle shaft alignment or run out? I am thinking axle shaft occasionally touching spindle, or spindle bushing, or even the famous index ring inside the axle housing might cause a hell of a noise. I also know Toyota changed the spindle design at some point to add roller bearings inside the bushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom