Good Idea or Asking for Trouble? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rust is going to be bad on that one. I also see it poking out from behind the driver's side rear flare. With all the visible rust, the underside is going to be much worse. I wouldn't be surprised if the rear crossmember is completely rusted out. I'm normally a "go for it" on some rust - but that truck is worth about $1000-$1500 for parts or just trail. I wouldn't buy it to dress it up.
You got like X-Ray vision or sumpin?

1. I have a "rust free" Midwest Cruiser - which means some rust but not falling apart
2. I have another "rust free" Midwest Cruiser - that has quarter cancer but the frame is good

Rust above usually means rust below...and it looks like it's bubbling behind the flare.

This is what was hiding behind my flare and bumper wing

20201014_145936.jpg

1. I have a "rust free" Midwest Cruiser - which means some rust but not falling apart
2. I have another "rust free" Midwest Cruiser - that has quarter cancer but the frame is good

Rust above usually means rust below...and it looks like it's bubbling behind the flare.

This is what was hiding behind my flare and bumper wing

View attachment 2465560
I asked because there are NO pics of the DS rear flare in those pics......

I figured it was like women's intuition or sumpthin.

I asked because there are NO pics of the DS rear flare in those pics......

I figured it was like women's intuition or sumpthin.

Haha, no I looked at it on FB Marketplace. Had a few more pictures.

Did that rig belong to Freddy Krueger or the Wolverine? If it is indeed triple locked and the axles aren’t rusted to dust, there’s $2,000 in the drivetrain alone.

Seats are trashed, but the door cards and plastic look ok. It’s a good color, but the body might be too far gone.

I just realized that Toyota made fewer 80 series in the US than 40 series. If it were me I would get it and at least try and make it a running vehicle again. You could either resell it for more or be able to advertise running condition on a part out. Or have fun in it.

Well I’m going by tomorrow to see how much they will let me tinker with it to see if I can tell anything right off the bat. Will report back and try and snag some more pictures

I talked to the seller of this blue 80 a few months ago. Didn't get straight answers, got different answers as the conversation went on, just a bad vibe from the seller (used car lot). If you look at the Google street view for the seller's address you can see the exact same 80 sitting in the same place whenever the Google car drove by there ? years ago.

I wouldn't offer much ($500-1000) as it's trashed and would be difficult to know what parts are usable if you can't drive it.

IMHO it's more of a parts truck unless you're very handy (paint, body, upholstery, mechanical) and have lots of time and tools. That's the type of truck you might buy if you already had a running 80 and you store the trashed 80 inside a barn until you need a part off of it.

My two cents.

I talked to the seller of this blue 80 a few months ago. Didn't get straight answers, got different answers as the conversation went on, just a bad vibe from the seller (used car lot). If you look at the Google street view for the seller's address you can see the exact same 80 sitting in the same place whenever the Google car drove by there ? years ago.

I wouldn't offer much ($500-1000) as it's trashed and would be difficult to know what parts are usable if you can't drive it.

IMHO it's more of a parts truck unless you're very handy (paint, body, upholstery, mechanical) and have lots of time and tools. That's the type of truck you might buy if you already had a running 80 and you store the trashed 80 inside a barn until you need a part off of it.

My two cents.

Boy o boy you are correct. So I went by the place to look at everything and it definitely doesn't look better in person than it does in the pictures. Frame is actually pretty clean. Major rust areas are on the back hatch, the hood, some spots on the fenders where it is starting to look like the hood, and the roof is in poor shape. Had to be a section the size of a kindle or small tablet where the paint was flaking off and the metal had some surface rust then the rest of the roof looked like the hood. Also 3 of the 4 tires were low and dry rotting and you'll find out why shortly...

Talked to the guy that was selling it and he said any offers made he would have to check with the guy who owns it and since it is at a dealership there is a $300 fee on every vehicle sold (can't remember the name of it but whatever). Here is the real kicker, it has sat there for OVER A YEAR AND A HALF because the owner "planned to restore it" and finally decided to sell it this year. They wouldn't let me crank it since it has been sitting so long but engine oil and transmission fluid were still present (although obviously would need to be changed). Also looked like it had an aftermarket radiator that was empty and a blue hub fan clutch (or a normal hub fan clutch that has been painted blue). Interior leather is bad and the steering wheel is garbage but the carpet looked like it could be salvaged some. Hood and rear hatch supports were terrible, black rubber/plastic seals on the windows over the chrome weren't great, needs a new side mirror on the passenger side, new passenger door handle, blah blah blah, basically would 100% need to become a trail toy rather than a comfortable daily driver if you got it to run or just parts like everyone has said.

Guy that is selling it says he doesn't know why people want Toyotas so bad cause he doesn't think they were really that great...oh and I was told don't come with a $1500 offer cause the guy said no way the owner would accept that since he knows how much they are worth restored.

So I guess I'll just have to see that thing rot away.

That's rough.

It's sat for a LONG time.

Look under it for rust and corrosion from sitting over wet grass and dirt. That moisture will corrode it.

I was thinking $1000. After seeing the pics and the rust on the top of the rear gate, I'm thinking $500.
LOL - according to some on here, none of our trucks are worth more than $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom