Good Idea or Asking for Trouble? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's up all,

Just thought I would question the room to see if I am crazy or not about possibly buying a 1996 Land Cruiser.

I've been watching one that is for sale near me for a while and then the ad disappeared (on the FB Marketplace). Well the ad popped back up recently but they have not come down on the price at all. From what I know in the ad its a 96 triple locked LC 204,000 miles with bad faded paint and some rust on the hood and the front seats are atrocious, middle row looks about how I would expect for their age. In the ad it says the front axle needs to be rebuilt and here is the kicker, it doesn't run and they do not know why. While talking to the guy to ask about it and he told me they took it in on a trade and the lady told them the front axle needed to be redone and she just let it sit forever and then it wouldn't start. They also have done 0 work to it and have just let it sit. Since I first saw the ad it has easily been 6+ months so the thing has not had anything done on it in probably a lot longer time than that.

They are asking $3400 (which there is no chance I would pay that for it in its current condition) but the guy told me at this point he would entertain some offers on it.

I am pretty decent with a set of tools and basic troubleshooting (thank you FSM) but not a certified mechanic or anything, and currently have a 95 LC that I have done some wrenching on so I have a bit of confidence to work on it. Just wanted to get a group take on if this sounds like it could be a complete nightmare not worth the time or maybe something with a little TLC could be a good find.

I could be majorly low balling them but I wouldn't plan on offering over $1000

If you don't buy it, let me know...I will.

Yeah reading your post just now I was worried until you mentioned already having another 80. If it was first purchase I'd say steer clear unless you had a good chunk of change to spend. But, since you're already familiar with the type of vehicle it really comes down to what you want it for. Sounds like it could go either way. I'd ask them to let you poke around the truck for a while and see if you can figure out what is actually wrong with it. But either way, if he'll take $1000 for it then it's probably a good deal because of the parts. Your call.

Yeah reading your post just now I was worried until you mentioned already having another 80. If it was first purchase I'd say steer clear unless you had a good chunk of change to spend. But, since you're already familiar with the type of vehicle it really comes down to what you want it for. Sounds like it could go either way. I'd ask them to let you poke around the truck for a while and see if you can figure out what is actually wrong with it. But either way, if he'll take $1000 for it then it's probably a good deal because of the parts. Your call.

Yea I may try and take a day and see if I can figure out any big issues and check the fluid and then for the usual spark, fuel, air, and check the compression. If things seem alright I may try and make that offer. They have had it long enough hopefully if I show up with cash in hand they don't turn it down haha

Pulled from the ad. Like I said these pics are at least 6+ months old so it may look worse at this point.

LC6.jpg

LC5.jpg

LC4.jpg

LC3.jpg

LC1.jpg

Dang. That's rough looking. But honestly I would expect nothing less in regard to the seats. Mine were trashed when I bought the truck - they function but the leather was duct taped together. I have nice SOR seat covers though so I don't care. The rust on the hood sucks but if the undercarriage isn't rust central then the body work/paint can wait. It's structural stuff that would worry me.

Dang. That's rough looking. But honestly I would expect nothing less in regard to the seats. Mine were trashed when I bought the truck - they function but the leather was duct taped together. I have nice SOR seat covers though so I don't care. The rust on the hood sucks but if the undercarriage isn't rust central then the body work/paint can wait. It's structural stuff that would worry me.

Yea my seats were trash and ended up getting a set of manual leather seats from a Mercedes at a junk yard for cheap and fabbed some brackets to put them in. Covers would be my go to until I could get something new

Yea my seats were trash and ended up getting a set of manual leather seats from a Mercedes at a junk yard for cheap and fabbed some brackets to put them in. Covers would be my go to until I could get something new
I like my seat covers. They're super tough and I don't have to worry about being dirty, sandy, or having something scratch the leather when I climb in or toss the dog in the back. For a truck that is going to see a lot of camping with dirty kids and dogs, well fitted seat covers are a win.

I concur with the advice given earlier. If you can get the truck for cheap and it's not totally blown to heck mechanically, go for it. Even if you got nothing but the block an head out of it - as long as they can be machined and aren't cracked - that's several thousand dollars worth of parts. Not to mention the axles if they're not rusted. There's a voice in the back of my head that's chanting "Parts truck! Parts truck! Parts truck!" :hillbilly:

I concur with the advice given earlier. If you can get the truck for cheap and it's not totally blown to heck mechanically, go for it. Even if you got nothing but the block an head out of it - as long as they can be machined and aren't cracked - that's several thousand dollars worth of parts. Not to mention the axles if they're not rusted. There's a voice in the back of my head that's chanting "Parts truck! Parts truck! Parts truck!" :hillbilly:

haha I have had that thought as well.

May take my parts receipt for rebuilding the front axle that I have from my current LC and the cost of a car trailer and just flood them with info to make them want to get rid of it

I like my seat covers. They're super tough and I don't have to worry about being dirty, sandy, or having something scratch the leather when I climb in or toss the dog in the back. For a truck that is going to see a lot of camping with dirty kids and dogs, well fitted seat covers are a win.
My seats are currently getting re-done. New padding and leather. Also going to add padding in the rear seats to make it more like a bench for my dog and I have a good dog cover that will protect the new leather.

haha I have had that thought as well.

May take my parts receipt for rebuilding the front axle that I have from my current LC and the cost of a car trailer and just flood them with info to make them want to get rid of it
Yes or use it as leverage to lower the price since "I would have to put x amount into this vehicle so I can only give you y"

That's rough.

It's sat for a LONG time.

Look under it for rust and corrosion from sitting over wet grass and dirt. That moisture will corrode it.

I was thinking $1000. After seeing the pics and the rust on the top of the rear gate, I'm thinking $500.

I'd buy it for $3400... I bought a rolled and smooshed flat triple locked 80 for $1800. The inside was way nastier than that... and prices have come up a lot since then.

Obviously cheaper is better, but if dude sells it to you for $1000 I'd wonder why. It's possible he has absolutely no idea what they are worth but if he has a smart phone it would take 5 seconds to figure out it's worth way more that $1000..

I'd buy it for $3400... I bought a rolled and smooshed flat triple locked 80 for $1800. The inside was way nastier than that... and prices have come up a lot since then.

Obviously cheaper is better, but if dude sells it to you for $1000 I'd wonder why. It's possible he has absolutely no idea what they are worth but if he has a smart phone it would take 5 seconds to figure out it's worth way more that $1000..
Yes but a lot of people don't know what they have and repairing rusted, under-maintained vehicles is $$$. So I wouldn't batt an eye if he let it go for $1000 unless he was being shady.

That's rough.

It's sat for a LONG time.

Look under it for rust and corrosion from sitting over wet grass and dirt. That moisture will corrode it.

I was thinking $1000. After seeing the pics and the rust on the top of the rear gate, I'm thinking $500.

Nice catch. Didn't even see all the rust above the seal of the window till I zoomed in on it.

The rust is going to be bad on that one. I also see it poking out from behind the driver's side rear flare. With all the visible rust, the underside is going to be much worse. I wouldn't be surprised if the rear crossmember is completely rusted out. I'm normally a "go for it" on some rust - but that truck is worth about $1000-$1500 for parts or just trail. I wouldn't buy it to dress it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom