Goin TURBO on CruisinFJ60's 82 BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well that is correct, im doin it. :grinpimp:

Just got off of the phone and ordered 2 thats right 2 turbo manifolds with T3 Flanges.

I love driving my little BJ around and i drive it all over, so far our longest journey together is a little over 400 mile round trip in the same day and i was getting over 21.5 MPG (us gallons) and likely closer to 22-22.5 mpg up on the freeway.

I give praise to this little engine in its ability to still somewhat be able to pass on the freeway and have a good bit of umph when driving around for a box on wheels with a little 4 banger. but it could always be better, especially down low. that is why i decided i wanted / needed a turbo. some of the local wheeling down here is mud and she just doesnt quite have the grunt to keep the tires spinnin without playin with the clutch a little at time, where as with a turbo the load would keep her spooled and tires moving, even on low boost cause it really doesnt need a whole lot more to be pretty awesome and reliable.

Im not looking for super fast or tow your home down, my 3/4 dodge cummins diesel has those both covered pretty well, im looking for a little more bottom to mid RPM range power and just a hair up top for around town and then long hills (the few we have in texas) when on the freeway. I have a T3 Turbo that came off of a mercedes OM617 engine which as many of yall know are 3.0l 5 cylinders. having owned one of those cars i can tell you they really are nice to drive and i think the slightly larger 3.4l 4 banger will be a good match for this turbo and should do what i want. Right now i dont plan of turning the fuel up any cause once i do i know it will turn into wanting more go fast vs function and the intended original idea. Ill be doin this all myself in my own driveway, never personally added a turbo to a non turbo vehicle (actually i helped / did most all of a friends RSX Type S but he took it all back apart before he got it running due to money issues) but hell it cant be to hard!
Ill be taking pictures along the way and posting all that stuff here and will link this thread to my thread in the 40 section which is in my sig and HERE.

This truck will eventually be SOA most likely with 35's and the turbo will help keep me moving then too. this is not a heavy wheeler but it does see trails here and there.

anyhow thats where im at and whats goin on, i should have my manifolds mid to late next week. so what i need now is a new oil pan gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, turbo gasket (should be able to buy one from the cedes), and figure where to get my oil supply from, then some piping and boots.

stay tuned and hope you enjoy, i know i will.

Trent T.

Well my turbo manifolds showed up the other day, its just been cold and rainy here so i havent had any motivation to even go in the garage until today, i decided since i didnt wanna lay in the water to work on my 60 id play with my turbo stuff.

1.) What the manifolds look like when i got them
2.) they are in good shape with no cracks and best of all a T3 flange so no adapters for the turbos most all of us run.
3.) other side.

I will be cleaning them up and painting them if anyone is interested in one.
2-4-10 1.jpg
2-4-10 2.jpg
2-4-10 3.jpg

1.) My T3 turbo from an OM617 Mercedes
2.) on the manifold
3.) no adapters and easy to get to the nuts.
2-4-10 4.jpg
2-4-10 5.jpg
2-4-10 6.jpg

1.) needed to rotate the compressor housing, its clockable so no big deal.
2.) loosen 6 13mm bolts a little and turn to desired position
3.) ditto
2-4-10 7.jpg
2-4-10 8.jpg
2-4-10 9.jpg

1.) so tiny!
2.) more for my reference for later but here ya go
3.) same as above so i know what i will need size wise.
2-4-10 10.jpg
2-4-10 11.jpg
2-4-10 12.jpg

So i plan on getting my oil feed line from the port where the oil sending unit is but i need to know what threads are on the sending unit so i know what kind of "T" adapter i need to get.

Also i have read many people are using the oil return from the vac pump but how exactly are yall plumbing it in? just another "T" fitting? or??

Also i have read many people are using the oil return from the vac pump but how exactly are yall plumbing it in? just another "T" fitting? or??

if where me .. ( as actually I did ) dump it directly to the oil pan ..

Hey CruisinFJ60, seems as we're both going down the same path! I picked up the same T3 turbo a few months ago ($75 and needed a rebuild kit), and just ripped another ($50 and is nice tight and low mileage!!!!) out of a scrap 82 mercedes this morning! Two to play with...
I'm using the same manifold too, the Isuzu, got mine from FJn00b with the top holes already slotted.
All the threaded oil fitting are BSP (british straight pipe). On the 3B there is a spare plug forward of the oil sensors on the gallery (under the alt) that I am going to use, you might want to go that way.
The aussie setups use a return line to the alternator drain, and seem to have no problems.
These turbos use a sleeve bearing so the oil supply passes really (like really!)slowly through them (very low flow), from the cores resevoir, and then out the bottom drain. as long as your drain line is at least 4 times the cross sectional area of the supply line you should be fine. I'm going to use the alternator drain set up.
Not sure about a 42's firewall chearance, but the 60 is tight. I'm going to use the mercedes turbine discharge flange (weldable, cast steel) that is fitted, machine off the clamp ring boss and weld it to a schedule 40 wedable close pipe elbow (about $5). Have to keep enough of the flanges body length to allow for nut clearance though. once done, it'll never rust out or burn through!!
Oh, by the way, your 42 is a beauty!

Yea i noticed the extremely slow drain on the turbo. On the forward fitting hole i have a mechanical gauge. So it being bsp does that mean that npt wont work? Im not very educated on that, in fact never heard heard of bsp. Any idea on the size of fitting needed and where to source?

Thanks for the kudos on the truck, i love driving her.

Last edited:
Nice

:popcorn:with pictures for us illiterate instant gratification folks. Thanks. Found a turbo off a volvo with intercooler in the junkyard. Maybe I'll get inspired.(still have the extra manifold?)

Yea i noticed the extremely slow drain on the turbo. On the forward fitting hole i have a mechanical gauge. So it being bsp does that mean that npt wont work? Im not very educated on that, in fact never heard heard of bsp. Any idea on the size of fitting needed and where to source?

Thanks for the kudos on the truck, i love driving her.

You need a BSP to NPT adapter, both sides 1/8". I got mine from egauges.com. Great service, fast shipping. From there your oil lines usually have a 1/8" NPT end to -4AN adapter fitting, at least mine did.

Check my turbo thread out in the 60 section, I used the same manifold. I just got the truck done on weekend. I'd never turbo'd a car either, but it was pretty straightforward. I have to finish the thread with pics of the final exhaust down pipe. But be warned that it might be super tight with a 40 series. The 60 was tight and took a custom down pipe bent, cut and rewelded to do it, FYI...

:popcorn:with pictures for us illiterate instant gratification folks. Thanks. Found a turbo off a volvo with intercooler in the junkyard. Maybe I'll get inspired.(still have the extra manifold?)

one was sold, but i have the other still.

I was actually gonna order a couple more to have on hand for this reason. im sure i can get ya taken care of.

You need a BSP to NPT adapter, both sides 1/8". I got mine from egauges.com. Great service, fast shipping. From there your oil lines usually have a 1/8" NPT end to -4AN adapter fitting, at least mine did.

Check my turbo thread out in the 60 section, I used the same manifold. I just got the truck done on weekend. I'd never turbo'd a car either, but it was pretty straightforward. I have to finish the thread with pics of the final exhaust down pipe. But be warned that it might be super tight with a 40 series. The 60 was tight and took a custom down pipe bent, cut and rewelded to do it, FYI...

ahh thank you sir.

yea its gonna be tight... real tight... but ill figure it out, even if i have to make a goofy exhaust to make it work, i will make it work.

Ok well it has been communicated to me (more than once by more than one person) that I need to get this finished....

Well I agree!

Did some looking online at eGauges.com as recommended above more specifically HERE on their site for the proper adapter and fittings. Also found the needed exhaust manifold gasket at $OR but with a minimum $30.00 freight charge for a $15.00 gasket Im gonna have to wait untill I need something from them to be able to justify it.

I do plan on going ahead and ordering the fittings tho so that I can have what I need and the last little parts should go pretty quick and easy (I hope!).

Anyhow sorry thats all I have for now to update, but I thought I would pass some of the info along.

Are you slotting holes to fit those Isuzu manifolds?

That is correct.

check the link below my signature (turbo thread) I just did the same set up. Didi my own manifold though and the turbo was a little different as it came from a California Mercedes so it had an annoying little thing on the air output side. I went with the oil fittings from what was already there, no drilling/welding to the pan. If you have any questions shoot me a PM as I went through all the headaches already. I love my setup, I hope it turns out for you too.

Weld in a bung nice and high on the pan.
IMG_4397.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom