Go-to recovery gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zjohnsonua

SILVER Star
Threads
I was talking with an old friend and newbie wheeling buddy who was in the market for recovery gear. He'd heard/read about all the "must-have" gear and was telling me about it. I told him I didn't have nor had I needed most of it. It sounded like I rained on his parade a bit! Then he asked what I carried, and what I used the most. The latter is what made me think about searching for a thread like this. But I didn't find one.

I've got 2" receivers front and rear, so I leave a receiver with a 7/8" shackle on top of my recovery bag. I use it on every other trip it seems like for one thing or another.

What do you guys reach for the most to get out of a jam?

Last edited:
Mostly good shackles, the winch itself and often a snatch block. I usually sit inside the vehicle while operating the winch and ALWAYS have the hood up for protection...just in case. Also carry something to block my tires but usually just find a large rock.

A good quality 30’ snatch strap or rope. If there are two or more, it’s far more efficient and generally
quicker to just pull out. FYI, I stopped carrying a jack-all/high lift type jack. I have two factory
mechanical bottle jacks. My winch bag has 2 snatch blocks, tree saver and welding gloves. This
stuff never leaves the truck.

Three to four shackles of 3/4" or greater of a reputable brand like Crosby.
Tree Strap
Generic 30' nylon strap
30' bubba elastic rope
100' synthetic winch extension line (doubles as a spare winch line if I snap mine)
high quality snatch block (my warn one has lines on it to show if you bend it)
Warn Winch sized for your truck (M12000 for my 62 and 8274 for my 4runner).
Towel or jacket to place over winch line
In log country a chain to place around logs I intend to winch off the trail
First aid kit easily accessible with a turniquet even closer (tell people where this stuff is before winching or chainsawing)
Leather work Gloves

What I lack? I need 1-2 more snatch blocks if I get into thick snow or tough rocks. My other club members usually have theirs but I hate relying on others.

Pretty sure snatch blocks are like vise-grips...it's not possible to have too many of 'em.

I have the Treaty Oak Offroad 'Weekend Warrior' recovery kit in my 80 at all times. It has everything I need.

@Zjohnsonua
Basic needs
- d-ring/shackles (min 2)
- recovery points on truck (front/back)
- tow strap
- come along/manual winch
- heavy duty chain
- heavy duty leather gloves
- PBR (post recovery)

Advanced
- 10k winch
- tree saver
- snatch block (2 are nice but not necessary)
- bottle jack for small lifts but hi lift for deep holes
- towels
- jumper cables
- fancy IPA when out of the bind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom