GMRS Handheld Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried searching, but what I could find was mostly the higher powered unit installs in build threads. I am looking to avoid drilling/sticking anything to my dash, etc. I just picked up a license and a handheld GMRS (I want to be able to use it in the 460 and my Scout II). Heading out on a trip soon and was looking for potential mounting options. There are "cupholder" mounts, etc, then I came across this and might give it a shot. Curious if anyone else has used this or something like it? Is it even reasonable in our rigs to attach something to a seat rail bolt?

FWIW, we are heading to Moab, no wheeling plans. This is my first trip somewhere since late 2019. F Cancer, F COVID.

Amazon product ASIN B09KP2ZBL5

A couple of options, if your radio is mall enough, just clip it to your cross chest seat belt.
Another option is get a couple of neodymium magnets, hot glue one to the radio and hot glue the other magnet to wherever on the dash you want it.
Hot glue will peel cleanly off when you're ready to remove it.

I may have already ruled this mount out, for now. I realized our seats have those plastic covers and I just don't want to yank one off right now. I may still try it after we get back. We're just really going to be doing the driving tour of arches and as long as the weather has been good onion creek. I'm new to GMRS as well so still trying to figure the darn radio out.

I like the hot glue and magnet idea. The radio is small and light, BTech GMRS-V2.

For riding down the road they are fine. For wheeling they are not. Your unit will go flying at some point.
I will 100% disagree with you on this. I wheel my buggy and GX with a handheld radio. It has always stayed where I put it. In the buggy I use the belt clip and clip it on the oh sh!t handle. In the GX I have a Scosche magnet mounted to the dash with the metal piece stuck to the back of the belt clip.

I will 100% disagree with you on this. I wheel my buggy and GX with a handheld radio. It has always stayed where I put it. In the buggy I use the belt clip and clip it on the oh sh!t handle. In the GX I have a Scosche magnet mounted to the dash with the metal piece stuck to the back of the belt clip.
ok

For riding down the road they are fine. For wheeling they are not. Your unit will go flying at some point.
I could see how this could be a problem with this product. It relies on the belt clip for both the radio and the mic. If those clip points aren't designed right then the clips might just hold by pressure only and not like locking over a lip or into a groove. I could see the jarring big bumps work it loose. I looked at the manufacturers youtube videos, they did have that specific product in one of their demos, but had another that used the same belt clip mount and it made me question how secure it would really be.

I know you said no drilling, but the Expedition Essentials mount is just 2 screws and holds my phone and a tablet rock solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom