GM TILT WHEEL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have information they can share about swapping a GM tilt column into a 72 FJ 40 ? I already have saginaw P.S. (prev.owner ). Can I use the steering shaft that I have and insert that into the GM column ?

Specifics would be great, but I'll take what ever help you guys can give.

Thanks Jeff

it depends on what steering shaft you have and what column. My mini truck shaft had the same diameter double d fitting as the mini truck column I used, but my previous set up did not. My suggestion is to use the pillow block bushing at the firewall to a aftermarket shaft with u-joints and the proper slip joint to the box.
There are plenty of write ups on the web including the ones on the teck pages.
Make sure your column is long enough to fit you comfortably and try and get one from a car that doesn't have that cheezy does-everthing stalk.

Gumby:
Here is a picture of what I have, im guessing that it was the stock cruiser shaft with a spicer joint welded on,notice the washer near the firewall. This is my first attempt at a modifaction like this so your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jeff

[glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow]

Still looking for some help with this.

Thanks Jeff

I think what you need to do is mount the GM column with a pillow block bearing at the firewall. Then cut the GM shaft an inch or so longer than the start of your u-joint. get a new 3/4 ujoint or cut the old shaft off of yours keeping the ujoint as intact as possible. Have a competant welder install the ujoint on to the GM shaft and install it back on the rest of your Sag system.

Make sense? If not shoot me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom