GM in tank fuel pump in a CJ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tcbushwackers.org
I had a GM TBI pump in my cruiser tank. I drilled a 4" hole in the top of the tank, then i cut the sending unit/pump housing and the attaching ring out of a GM tank. I then welded the GM attaching ring around the hole in the Cruiser tank and dropped the pump in.
When I went to the rear tank I did the same thing. I also have a surge tank made from a chunk of 4" pipe with a flange welded on one end. The GM ring bolts to the flange and the pump sits down in the surge tank. I have heard of problems wheeling in the heat with electric pumps and it really wasn't that hard to modify the pumps to sit in the fuel as they were designed.

Gumby, I'm confused. Sounds like you pulled the under-seat tank and put in a rear mount, then added a surge tank?

Are you saying you have 2 pumps - one in the tank and one in the surge tank? Or are you saying the surge tank is an integral part of the main tank?

What's the final wazzoo setup, since I hope to be doing my TBI swap this summer some time??

Sorry, I'm in dork mode today.

:)

I pulled the under seat tank to put in the roll cage and added a rear tank. The VW bug tank does not have baffles and starved for fuel at certain angles when the tank was low. I added a surge tank to deal with that. The rear tank in-tank fuel pump feeds the surge tank and can, with a couple of hose switches, run the TBI. There is a second pump in the surge tank.

Many thanks.

I wasn't able to weld the Gm Sender ring on to a plastic tank so I had to use the Factory sendor and shoe horn it into the tiny factory hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom