1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM head on a 2F?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 60wag, Dec 19, 2003.

1. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

On another board someone posted the following:

"When I first purchased my 82 FJ, I knew the head was damaged (the white and blue smoke was a obvious indication). I didn't know that finding a replacement for the 2F motor was going to be a serious problem however. Luckly, one of my motorhead friends knew the history of the Toyota 2F motor. Since Toyota bought the remaining stock of GM motors to create the 2F, a new (yes new) GM head will fit perfectly on the 2F. So, for an option beyond spending a fortune on a remanufactured head and not knowing for sure what you are getting. Try the GM part instead. I think the gasket seals are also the same-try your local motor shop if interested. I will lookup the GM part a post it later. "

I think he's full of it but don't know for sure. What's the truth? If he's right, it'd make bolt fuel injection a lot easier wouldn't it?

2. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    60wag,according to Rob Mullins article on l/c,only the water pump and a few bottom end items are interchangeable.I reckon if the cyl head was interchangeable someone would have realised it long ago. It would also mean a 292 chev 6 would be an easy straight boltin power upgrade and replacement motor. Also wouldnt the chev motor have imperial nut/bolt threads and toyota metric? Just a thought

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Another classic example of someone talking out thier butt on the internet...again. :rolleyes:

4. Jesse

Jesse

I have personaly compared them with my friends and there is no way that they will bolt on. It would be neat if you could though.
    Jesse

5. cruiserka

cruiserka

jess, do the heads at least look similar? just wonderin.

6. Landpimp

Landpimp

[quote author=60wag link=board=1;threadid=8989;start=msg78008#msg78008 date=1071872957]
    On another board someone posted the following:

"When I first purchased my 82 FJ, I knew the head was damaged (the white and blue smoke was a obvious indication). I didn't know that finding a replacement for the 2F motor was going to be a serious problem however. Luckly, one of my motorhead friends knew the history of the Toyota 2F motor. Since Toyota bought the remaining stock of GM motors to create the 2F, a new (yes new) GM head will fit perfectly on the 2F. So, for an option beyond spending a fortune on a remanufactured head and not knowing for sure what you are getting. Try the GM part instead. I think the gasket seals are also the same-try your local motor shop if interested. I will lookup the GM part a post it later. "

I think he's full of it but don't know for sure. What's the truth? If he's right, it'd make bolt fuel injection a lot easier wouldn't it?
    [/quote]

in 1974ish I AM SURE Toyota didn't buy anything from GM to create the 2f. Yes the F motor is similar to the old stovebolt six and yes Toy prolly did copy alot of it for one reason or the other

7. Jesse

Jesse

cruiserka,
    Its been a while but it seems like the head was smaller in all aspects. My head was off my 69 FJ40 and his off his 69 Chevy.
    Jesse

8. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll kiss your a** on the town square if this is a bolt on, the old pre 63 Chevy six is almost a carbon copy of the early F, siamesed ports etc. but swapping one of these heads would be a big step back in terms of performance.
    My brother has a 53 Chevy PU and you would be very hard pressed to tell it from a pre 66 F, Iwould bet witout the valve covers most of us could not, there is even a rectangular boss on the drivers side, just raised flat casting, looks like where a motor mount should go, however there are no holes in it, it is on both engines.
    Butch

9. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Texican link=board=1;threadid=8989;start=msg78187#msg78187 date=1071893793]
    I'll kiss your a** on the town square if this is a bolt on..

Butch
    [/quote]

This is just one of the many things I like about you Butch!

-Steve

10. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=8989;start=msg78198#msg78198 date=1071895290]
    This is just one of the many things I like about you Butch!

-Steve
    [/quote]
    :D :D :D
    Most of us native Texicans are like this, once you get over the shock, I'm told it's refreshing , not to have to wonder exactly where we stand on a subject.
    Butch

11. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Well,

I seem to remember telling you, about ten minutes after I first met you at my shop, just how I felt about norm greene, and the dallas stars.. :D

12. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    That's why we get along so well....you betcha..that and your Minnesota a** is 1400 miles from me most of the time.......doncha know?
    Although my favorite Minnesota term is, Oh he's a F'n homo doncha know......
    It was 70 here today, is it cold up thar?
    Butch