GM head on a 2F? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60wag

SILVER Star
Threads
On another board someone posted the following:

"When I first purchased my 82 FJ, I knew the head was damaged (the white and blue smoke was a obvious indication). I didn't know that finding a replacement for the 2F motor was going to be a serious problem however. Luckly, one of my motorhead friends knew the history of the Toyota 2F motor. Since Toyota bought the remaining stock of GM motors to create the 2F, a new (yes new) GM head will fit perfectly on the 2F. So, for an option beyond spending a fortune on a remanufactured head and not knowing for sure what you are getting. Try the GM part instead. I think the gasket seals are also the same-try your local motor shop if interested. I will lookup the GM part a post it later. "

I think he's full of it but don't know for sure. What's the truth? If he's right, it'd make bolt fuel injection a lot easier wouldn't it?

60wag,according to Rob Mullins article on l/c,only the water pump and a few bottom end items are interchangeable.I reckon if the cyl head was interchangeable someone would have realised it long ago. It would also mean a 292 chev 6 would be an easy straight boltin power upgrade and replacement motor. Also wouldnt the chev motor have imperial nut/bolt threads and toyota metric? Just a thought

Another classic example of someone talking out thier butt on the internet...again. :rolleyes:

I have personaly compared them with my friends and there is no way that they will bolt on. It would be neat if you could though.
Jesse

[quote author=60wag link=board=1;threadid=8989;start=msg78008#msg78008 date=1071872957]
On another board someone posted the following:

"When I first purchased my 82 FJ, I knew the head was damaged (the white and blue smoke was a obvious indication). I didn't know that finding a replacement for the 2F motor was going to be a serious problem however. Luckly, one of my motorhead friends knew the history of the Toyota 2F motor. Since Toyota bought the remaining stock of GM motors to create the 2F, a new (yes new) GM head will fit perfectly on the 2F. So, for an option beyond spending a fortune on a remanufactured head and not knowing for sure what you are getting. Try the GM part instead. I think the gasket seals are also the same-try your local motor shop if interested. I will lookup the GM part a post it later. "

I think he's full of it but don't know for sure. What's the truth? If he's right, it'd make bolt fuel injection a lot easier wouldn't it?
[/quote]

in 1974ish I AM SURE Toyota didn't buy anything from GM to create the 2f. Yes the F motor is similar to the old stovebolt six and yes Toy prolly did copy alot of it for one reason or the other

cruiserka,
Its been a while but it seems like the head was smaller in all aspects. My head was off my 69 FJ40 and his off his 69 Chevy.
Jesse

I'll kiss your a** on the town square if this is a bolt on, the old pre 63 Chevy six is almost a carbon copy of the early F, siamesed ports etc. but swapping one of these heads would be a big step back in terms of performance.
My brother has a 53 Chevy PU and you would be very hard pressed to tell it from a pre 66 F, Iwould bet witout the valve covers most of us could not, there is even a rectangular boss on the drivers side, just raised flat casting, looks like where a motor mount should go, however there are no holes in it, it is on both engines.
Butch

[quote author=Texican link=board=1;threadid=8989;start=msg78187#msg78187 date=1071893793]
I'll kiss your a** on the town square if this is a bolt on..

Butch
[/quote]

This is just one of the many things I like about you Butch!

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=8989;start=msg78198#msg78198 date=1071895290]
This is just one of the many things I like about you Butch!

-Steve
[/quote]
:D :D :D
Most of us native Texicans are like this, once you get over the shock, I'm told it's refreshing , not to have to wonder exactly where we stand on a subject.
Butch

Well,

I seem to remember telling you, about ten minutes after I first met you at my shop, just how I felt about norm greene, and the dallas stars.. :D

That's why we get along so well....you betcha..that and your Minnesota a** is 1400 miles from me most of the time.......doncha know?
Although my favorite Minnesota term is, Oh he's a F'n homo doncha know......
It was 70 here today, is it cold up thar?
Butch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom