Giving NYTOP a shot (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are mixed reviews on the testing and certification for NYTOP, but I pulled the trigger on their hybrid rear hitch bumper and fender flares.
Seems they may have added actual testing to their hitch and new hybrid since previous concerns surfaced. I’ve been looking for a subtle fender flare just to add more dimension to the body lines. I think once I get these color matched (then wrapped matte clear) they will work well.
Next step - roof solution. I really want an integrated low-profile roof basket for the BlackLine OEM rails, but I can’t find what I want nor can I find a shop interested in building something for me.
I also plan to remove the front lower valence. There’s a 4R TRD skid plate hiding behind it currently.
415FDBED-1612-47F2-B163-FBA51EA79F97.jpeg

Looks good if going for the stealth look and mild off roading.

Looks good if going for the stealth look and mild off roading.
Yes and yes. Daily driver and family adventure wagon. I had a Pro 4R before this and frankly it was overkill (and not as comfortable) for my needs. I do wish I’d held onto some of the parts from that build to transfer over, though.

Reactions: r2m
Just my opinion......I like the idea of the rear hitch with the recovery points. However, the hitch hanging low will catch things on departure from an obstacle even when mild wheeling and the first rock you slide over on the driver side with the rear and the 7 pin connector is toast (at the very least the cover will get broken off). The bull bar and Runner guard are hideous and likely to be nothing more than damage multipliers. I'm on the fence about the flares. The stock wheels on a GX already look tucked in. Maybe with spacers or aftermarket wheels with a proper negative offset they would look better. :meh:

Just my opinion......I like the idea of the rear hitch with the recovery points. However, the hitch hanging low will catch things on departure from an obstacle even when mild wheeling and the first rock you slide over on the driver side with the rear and the 7 pin connector is toast (at the very least the cover will get broken off). The bull bar and Runner guard are hideous and likely to be nothing more than damage multipliers. I'm on the fence about the flares. The stock wheels on a GX already look tucked in. Maybe with spacers or aftermarket wheels with a proper negative offset they would look better. :meh:
Maybe I’m mistaken, but the pictures I saw of the new OEM hitch, this would be about the same position, possibly tucked a little? We are considering the idea of a small teardrop trailer, so I have developed a need for the hitch and thought why not try something with a dual purpose.
I agree on the bull bar, no way I’d consider that.
Also, spot on regarding wheel offset. I hate spacers, ran them in a pinch on one of my previous cars (Audi S4). I’m looking at -10 offset to poke a bit more. I don’t think 0 offset would be enough, but I’ll play with that as I get closer to replacing the wheels.

Maybe I’m mistaken, but the pictures I saw of the new OEM hitch, this would be about the same position, possibly tucked a little? We are considering the idea of a small teardrop trailer, so I have developed a need for the hitch and thought why not try something with a dual purpose.
Also, spot on regarding wheel offset. I hate spacers, ran them in a pinch on one of my previous cars (Audi S4). I’m looking at -10 offset to poke a bit more. I don’t think 0 offset would be enough, but I’ll play with that as I get closer to replacing the wheels.
The hitch looks to be the same as stock. With the plastic of the bumper, don't see how it could be tucked much further than stock. As for the wheels, I would likely go more like -25. Without the flares, -12 pokes out just a little to make it look better. With the flares I think it will need more poke. Having said that, I have been running 1.25" spacers on all 4 corners for a year without issue. I have run them on other vehicles as well. If you set them up properly and check them when you rotate your tires they are not problematic. If you run lug centric spacers or you don't use locktite or you don't check them then you can have problems.

The OEM hitch has little wings that hang down underneath and are meant to act as a skid/slider to protect the spare tire. That drags on everything off-road but also gives some extra protection to the rear bumper and trailer connectors. I've still replaced mine once in 2 years. The NYTOP design doesn't have the little wings underneath so it may have a little more clearance but also leaves the trailer connector sitting lower than the crossbar in the receiver. That's toast if you drag on anything.

Last edited:
Had a chance to get this installed this morning. On the BlackLine rear valence, some trimming is required.
IMG_6119.jpeg
IMG_6118.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
Nice that it has some recovery points. It'd be even better if it had a heavy duty piece of 1.5" tubing extending out the wings of the rear bumper for protection.
Get a couple of "D" rings and either keep them hanging on the bumper or stashed inside in case you ever need them.

Nice that it has some recovery points. It'd be even better if it had a heavy duty piece of 1.5" tubing extending out the wings of the rear bumper for protection.
Get a couple of "D" rings and either keep them hanging on the bumper or stashed inside in case you ever need them.
It also comes tapped with m6 on the top for chase lights. Install was very easy, though it’s heavy so I’d recommend having an extra set of hands. I used a pair of Jack stands to help. I have a bunch of van beest shackles in my recovery kit. I don’t like to leave them hanging for someone to snag. I’m glad I went with this over OEM or their basic hitch receiver. I can’t wait to use it. It’s very well built and seems stout. While I was waiting for mine to arrive I saw they did additional testing which only further solidified I made the right choice for my needs. I still need to install their fender flares, but I need to get them to the painter and then my wrap guy so it matches my satin finish.

Just an FYI, I've never in the past 2 decades (I've had them on my othe overlanders too) ever had any stolen or removed inclucing even my receiver hitch D ring and I live in So. Cal, not that rural of an area.
You should be fine.

Does this allow for a larger spare tire underneath or no net effect?

I’m not sure. I have a stock spare and my other 4 are only 265/65/18. I can take a few clearance photos if you’d like.
Thanks!

I know there are mixed reviews on the testing and certification for NYTOP, but I pulled the trigger on their hybrid rear hitch bumper and fender flares.
Seems they may have added actual testing to their hitch and new hybrid since previous concerns surfaced. I’ve been looking for a subtle fender flare just to add more dimension to the body lines. I think once I get these color matched (then wrapped matte clear) they will work well.
Next step - roof solution. I really want an integrated low-profile roof basket for the BlackLine OEM rails, but I can’t find what I want nor can I find a shop interested in building something for me.
I also plan to remove the front lower valence. There’s a 4R TRD skid plate hiding behind it currently.
View attachment 3259137
The NYTOP hitch looks great. I really wanted one but the wait time didnt work for me. How long did you end up waiting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom