Getting ready to repair radiator (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'll be taking my radiator out soon to have the lower seam soldered and have all sorts of questions about that:

1. How best to double-check if it's not leaking from the lower hose or the drain cock? Radiator shop guy told me, after looking for a second under the truck that it's the seam leaking, but I can't tell, I just see coolant along the edge where rad meets fan shroud.

2. How big of a hose clamp do I need for the lower hose?

3. A new radiator drain cock would be a good thing to have also, I guess?

4. Do I need anything else like the above two to replace the old part?

5. I'll have to cap the transmission lines, what could I use, something cone-shaped? Someone mentioned they lost about a cup of AT fluid, I guess I need to have extra at hand?

6. Not discharging the AC, of course, but the FSM says I'll be disconnecting the discharge hose and liquid tube (once I find them :))... It's OK to disconnect those without discharge, I assume? And I have to cap them too, as far as I remember, in order to keep moisture out.

7. How do you take out the overflow tank for a cleanup, I tried to force it out if the bracket but didn't really insist, or should I just stick the garden hose in it until all that's inside comes out?

8. Are all Shell ethylene glycol coolants green, that's the color I have now? I've found a "summer" one for ~$8 and a antirust one for ~$10, will probably go with the more expensive but I also saw a UNIFIDE coolant for $5.99 (would save me $20) has anybody used this one?

9. I bought this foam meant to seal a window air conditioner, can I use it to plug the holes around the radiator, or do I need a special foam seal that is more resistant to heat?

10. Finally, before I pour in $50 worth of coolant, I'd rather check if I have not created a new/bigger leak after all that "fixing" on my part, is there any trick about that. All I can think of is keep the old coolant, fill again with it once done, check for leaks, then drain, flush and put in new coolant, and hope the drain cock won't F up, maybe I can color water with something? All that flushing should be good for rust, I better buy the antirust Shell coolant...

Thanks in advance to any takers to so many questions, I'm sure I have more...

I assume you have a FJ 62 and not an FJ60

Are you planning on fixing your own radiator?

1. I would remove it and take it to the radiator shop. The will repair it, pressurise it and check for more leaks and fix as needed. If it needs a drain cock they will put one in.

2. You can reuse your hose clamps.

3. See answer to #1

5. Cap your tranny lines with a piece of clean hose. Just connect them together. All the fluid will drain out of the tranny cooling area of the radiator. Have a couple of quarts on hand.

6. You do not have to discharge the AC system to pull the radiator.

7. I will have to go look at one of mine. I don't remember it being a task.

8. Search Anti Freeze in the 60 section. This is an ongoing question and debate. I would recommend that you ask the Radiator shop what they recommend adn use.

10. Why not flush the coling system before you take it apart. Any nasty scale from the engine will end up in your radiator. When the radiator shop cooks the radiator out it will clean it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

D'Animal, yes I'm taking it to a rad shop and I'm flushing the system before taking the rad out, I didn't know they'll put a cock in for me...

I'm definitely going with a green coolant, since that's what's in it now, don't want to mix with red, even after flush, the green has been working just fine all summer, even with the leak. I just don't know if the Shell coolant is all green, sometimes the transparent strip on the side is missing and you can't tell the color, I guess I'll buy one first and open it to double check.

I read a post that said to use new hose clamps every time but I don't know the diameter of the lower hose, I guess I can measure.

About #6, I'm not discharging the AC but since the FSM mentions disconnecting the discharge hose and liquid tube I don't know if those two are part of the AC discharge or I'll have to disconnect those anyway, even without discharging the AC.

I still don't know how to take out the overflow tank, I'll have to post separately about that, too many questions doesn't work too good in a forum, I know, I'm just lazy to post different questions separately.

BTW I also couldn't see the engine drain cock, I though it will just be readily visible but after looking for it I had to go back to the FSM to see where it's supposed to be, I still have to go to the truck and look again...

Thanks again for the replies.

I assume you have a FJ 62 and not an FJ60

Are you planning on fixing your own radiator?

1. I would remove it and take it to the radiator shop. The will repair it, pressurise it and check for more leaks and fix as needed. If it needs a drain cock they will put one in.

2. You can reuse your hose clamps.

3. See answer to #1

5. Cap your tranny lines with a piece of clean hose. Just connect them together. All the fluid will drain out of the tranny cooling area of the radiator. Have a couple of quarts on hand.

6. You do not have to discharge the AC system to pull the radiator.

7. I will have to go look at one of mine. I don't remember it being a task.

8. Search Anti Freeze in the 60 section. This is an ongoing question and debate. I would recommend that you ask the Radiator shop what they recommend adn use.

10. Why not flush the coling system before you take it apart. Any nasty scale from the engine will end up in your radiator. When the radiator shop cooks the radiator out it will clean it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom