Need to replace my 86 60's radiator - any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The title says it all - I had the radiator repaired 2 years ago. It's leaking steady large drops from the middle bottom. I don't want to have it repaired again. So, what to consider and what to avoid?
Thanks.

I have a mishimoto in mine. Cant beat the lifetime warranty.

IMG_4980.jpeg

I searched the forum a couple of years ago when it was leaking. I was kinda looking for a quick poll to see what guys were using.
I appreciate the responses.

I've got a CSF that needed the top cap re-soldered 2 weeks after I installed it from new, and 4 years later the bottom has let go. For a $450 radiator I'm not real impressed. I'll most likely be going with a Ron Davis as a replacement.

Ah... Mishimoto on sale right now... half the price of a Ron Davis.
Yeah I don’t get why more people don’t get them. I understand if you want a stock look sure, but why spend the same or more money and not have a lifetime warranty? My first one leaked almost 2 years after I bought it. I paid $50 for the replacement for shipping and maybe a small processing fee. If you had any other radiator you’d be shelling out the full amount.

I'm headed into a local radiator shop this week to likely get mine replaced. It's leaking around the fill nozzle point and every time I patch it, it pops up in another spot.

I have the FJ62 with the trans cooler lines needed, but I'll let you know what the shop and I decide on for replacement since it's a similar part for the FJ60. Going into it, I'm leaning CSF, but we'll see if they have other recommendations.

Yeah I don’t get why more people don’t get them. I understand if you want a stock look sure, but why spend the same or more money and not have a lifetime warranty? My first one leaked almost 2 years after I bought it. I paid $50 for the replacement for shipping and maybe a small processing fee. If you had any other radiator you’d be shelling out the full amount.
Leaking after 2 years is also pretty disappointing.

My CSF is supposed to have a lifetime warranty too through Performance Radiator, however I can’t find the receipt for the life of me - which is on me of course.

But with any brand, a ~$500 part that needs repaired in under 5 years is just sad. It’s not fun pulling and replacing these any more than absolutely necessary.

Just a data point . Recommend .. ? Meh

I’ve been running the same Champion aluminum 3 row rad for about ten years now after sending the first one back after it leaked out of the box. Fit was not 100 percent .. needed a little trimming or drilling IIRC. But lifetime warranty hard to beat and good customer service. Made in US

I paid $199 back then

Leaking after 2 years is also pretty disappointing.

My CSF is supposed to have a lifetime warranty too through Performance Radiator, however I can’t find the receipt for the life of me - which is on me of course.

But with any brand, a ~$500 part that needs repaired in under 5 years is just sad. It’s not fun pulling and replacing these any more than absolutely necessary.
Oh absolutely, I agree. But it feels better putting a nearly free radiator in the second time vs having to pay full price and still do the work.

Just checked with the shop, we're going to pull the radiator out to see if it can be salvaged, but we're leaning CSF to replace. I think the parts confusion may be that the FJ60 radiator sans trans cooler lines is no longer made, but the FJ62 one is and you just put the 62 radiator on the 60 and plug the cooler line ports.

Last edited:
Correct. CSF hasn't sold the FJ60-specific Radiator for quite a while, now. They list the 2708 Radiator for both FJ60 and FJ62.

The 2709 WILL NOT BOLT UP to your FJ60 - It's for a later FJ62. I don't know the difference.

Other than the various Aluminum Radiators, I don't think there are any other Brass Radiators available, now.

Correct. CSF hasn't sold the FJ60-specific Radiator for quite a while, now. They list the 2708 Radiator for both FJ60 and FJ62.

The 2709 WILL NOT BOLT UP to your FJ60 - It's for a later FJ62. I don't know the difference.

Other than the various Aluminum Radiators, I don't think there are any other Brass Radiators available, now.

Now I'm curious about the 2708 vs 2709 variations. Is it the mount points if both have the trans cooler ports?

I don't know the difference. If you look on the CSF Website, linked above, it has schematics and details of the different units.

1704484457286.png

1704484495616.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom