Need to replace my 86 60's radiator - any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why does the 2709 exist then? Maybe I should email CSF and check before I have the shop order.

Just checked Rock Auto and 2708 is listed for the FJ60 but no radiators are listed for the FJ62. I have two 2708s in service, both in FJ60s with one 60 running a 2F and the other a 3FE. Even though RA has no radiator listings for a FJ62 (I only searched on the 1989 year) the 2708 should work and the image shows transmission cooler ports.

CSF 2708 for over 10 years, maybe quality control and assurance has roller-coasted since then.

CSF 2708 for over 10 years, maybe quality control and assurance has roller-coasted since then.
I specifically remember reading a thread here about a member who put a brand new one in his/her 62 and it had a defective trans cooler and ruined the trans with contaminated coolant. CSF told them to pound sand after what seemed like quite the runaround. From that point on I said I’d never buy one. I’ve had 3 mishimotos, 2 in my current 60 and one in my previous 62.
The review with pictures on Amazon about it fitting in a 62 is mine.

I installed a CSF in my 62 back in Jan, was leaking in August. Got another one from rock auto on warranty, but was pretty frustrated at having to go through all that to remove/replace again. (although it is a lot quicker the second time....)

The 'Red' is a superior coolant and a must if you're using an Aluminum radiator. I use a high-quality old-school Green (Zerex) from NAPA. Green should be flushed and changed every couple years as the additives get depleted. I use the 50/50 pre-mix stuff 'cuz deionized water is very important.

And FWIW, I have the old CSF 2226, which was the FJ60-specific replacement they no longer make, installed since 2008.

Last edited:
Why does the 2709 exist then? Maybe I should email CSF and check before I have the shop order.

If you go to the CSF website, you can input your VIN for correct fit

The 'Red' is a superior coolant and a must if you're using an Aluminum radiator. I use a high-quality old-school Green (Zerex) from NAPA. Green should be flushed and changed every couple years as the additives get depleted. I use the 50/50 pre-mix stuff 'cuz deionized water is very important.

And FWIW, I have the old CSF 2226, which was the FJ60-specific replacement they no longer make, installed since 2008.
It’s also beneficial to add a small ground strap to an aluminum radiator.

It’s also beneficial to add a small ground strap to an aluminum radiator.
Based on my research and mostly by the comments of those much more knowledgeable than I am, I will go Al for my radiator. I didn't know about the ground strap or the "red" coolant needed for an Al radiator. Great stuff to know.
Speaking of the ground strap. Not wanting to drill a hole in a new radiator, where is the attachment point? I'm assuming it would go on one of the bolts that attaches the radiator to the frame. Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom