Alternatives to Just Dashes for Dash Pad Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone.

I am looking to restore my Dash pad to my FJ60 (there are a few cracks and one significant tear that will get bigger). However, I just am not looking to spend 2k on the job. I know Just Dashes is amazing quality, but out of my reach! Let me know if y'all have any ideas!

Dash Cap, installed right they look pretty good.

I placed a folded big black towel over my dash when I purchased the car in 1988. I replaced it a couple times in 40 years but I always had it there.
Of course after 40 years my dash still looked brand new (vehicle parked outside all the time) and if I purchased a new vehicle, I’d do the same.

The folded black towel method is really great for driving. There’s zero glare and the towel makes a much nicer dash. It looks nice too.
If I had a brand new dash - I’d still use the towel….. and if I had a thrashed cracked dash- I’d still use the towel.

Bottom line: just use a big black towel and leave your cracked dash as it is.

Inexpensive. Excellent quality. I didn't even use Velcro and it stays put just fine... Just a cover. I have one in both the FJ60 and Tacoma

Also, if you look in some of Trail Tailor's build threads, he shows how he uses plastic filler and paint for a like-new dash, if you want to do it yourself.

Yes, in a few days…currently out of town.👍

I've been kind of interested in wrapping a dash one day. Mine is pretty good so I'll use a window shade and leave it alone for now. I drilled a 1mm hole in the single crack I have to keep it from spreading. But I also dabble in the music world; guitar amps are wrapped in a thing called tolex (similar to naugahyde, different texture) that's almost exactly like the existing wrap on the dash. The difference I see is that whatever material was original used on the dashes is either thermoformed or more specifically shrinks with heat. Tolex does not do that, but I'd love to find a material that does, but a yard of it, and play around with a heat gun. You could still use a tolex-like material, but where it wraps around bends and such you'd have to do slit cuts and backfill with material over the top. HArd to describe, but it could be done.

I've seen lots of "solutions" and in my opinion they all look like crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom