Getting Our Ham Radio License (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,
While perusing the site and getting myself caught up with what everyone is up too, I saw that at the yearly meet there was discussion of HAM radio test.
I am definitely interested in getting mine for sure, I have a couple guys at work that like to bust my chops for using a CB radio, and have always been interested.

I am curious, anyone in the group already have there license?
And if not who is all interested in getting theirs?

Just thought I would throw a feeler out there, maybe get a group study or test date going?

Thanks!

I'd love to get my HAM license, maybe over summer though so I don't have anything else to study for?

I never got my L1 but I used Pearson prep books to prep for a couple of the A1-8 that I didn't have lots of experience in like automatic transmissions and they helped a lot.

Last edited:
I'd love to get my HAM license, maybe over summer though so I don't have anything else to study for?

I never got my L1 but I used Pesrson prep books to prep for a couple of the A1-8 that I didn't have lots of experience in like automatic transmissions and they helped a lot.

Not to go off topic too much, to get to the next level up in my company (management) they require the L1, I like turning wrench on my own stuff, doing it for others makes me miss the enjoyment I had of working on my own

Ok, Lets get this scheduled. Even if its only some of the members that go at this time. Last weekend showed me how badly our cb's suck. Of course. A SWR meter to tune all of them maybe something the club should purchase. Then we could pass it around and get our cb's set up properly.

I personally want both a handheld ham radio and my CB. there will always be people with cb radios in the park, and coming to events. but they do have limitations.

@YotaFun Woody was very helpful in ham radio benifits. Make him buy a 80 and join us. :)

Ok, Lets get this scheduled. Even if its only some of the members that go at this time. Last weekend showed me how badly our cb's suck. Of course. A SWR meter to tune all of them maybe something the club should purchase. Then we could pass it around and get our cb's set up properly.

I personally want both a handheld ham radio and my CB. there will always be people with cb radios in the park, and coming to events. but they do have limitations.

@YotaFun Woody was very helpful in ham radio benifits. Make him buy a 80 and join us. :)

I like the idea of a shared SWR meter, and I too would prefer to have both in the truck for the same reason.
Andy, Woody is not brand bias like us, I am trying to convince him of an 80, he like the idea, but he likes the idea of a Cummins Swapped Wagoneer on 40s -_-, I figure if I can get him in an 80 and we just vinyl fake wood onto the flares it would work out lol!

I'm interested. Ham test every 3rd Saturday in Lebanon, PA. I propose we schedule on an "off" wheeling month.

Let's plan on May 21st, we'll reschedule wheeling for the week before, week after, or on Sunday the 22nd...

Nothing set in stone yet...

I would like to do this, it would be a lot of fun to ham it up with you guys.

I just got back from taking my Technician Class Exam... I got 2 or 3 questions wrong but I Passed! It was a bit tougher than i thought it would be, but you can get up to 9 wrong out of 35 questions. I definitely recommend taking the practice exams on AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice .

I studied using Gordon West's book and audio Cd's, which i transferred to my iPod and listened to a bunch of times to and from work.
Here's the link if you want more info: Gordon West Radio School | 714-549-5000 | Ham It Up!

I would like to donate the book and auto Cd's to the club if possible, and if a Keystone Cruisers member would like to borrow them to study and use, just pay pal the cost of postage. When that person is finished, just offer it up for loan again.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Did you go on a week night? Where did you take your test?
I've been studying some too.

Interested in this and finally getting to meet you guys if its open to everyone!

I also have a SWR meter anyone can use.

I would like to donate the book and auto Cd's to the club if possible, and if a Keystone Cruisers member would like to borrow them to study and use, just pay pal the cost of postage. When that person is finished, just offer it up for loan again.

That would be awesome! Thank you!

I think if we do that we need to set some ground rules - like maybe a "deposit" and a length of time someone is allowed to borrow it so it does not disappear forever into a drawer somewhere....

Did you go on a week night? Where did you take your test?
I've been studying some too.

I just searched for a text session on this website::
Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

I'm in NE PA so i picked an exam session in Waymart, PA which is held every so often on Monday evenings.

There were about four people testing, and about 4 Volunteer examiners. Nice group of guys, invited me to stay for their club meeting at 7:00.

That would be awesome! Thank you!

I think if we do that we need to set some ground rules - like maybe a "deposit" and a length of time someone is allowed to borrow it so it does not disappear forever into a drawer somewhere....

Yes, good idea Andy.. Whatever you'd like to set up I'm sure would be fine. If you'd like I can send them to you to distribute and track..

Just as an FYI, there's some good online study sites for all the levels of ham radio licensing.
I used HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests and it made it really easy to study whenever I had some free time. It's intuative and "learns" what questions you need help with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom