Getting a miss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys when I am cruising in my BJ42 at 90kph and even at slower speeds I am getting what feels like a spark plug miss( which we all know isn't problem).. I had the problem last week and I found that my primer pump was lose so I tightened it down and it ran fine after that(must be getting air). I filled up with diesel yesterday and it started again.. I checked the pump and it is still tight.. what do you guys think it is..?? I just put some conditioner in the tank and will see if it is bad fuel.

Thanks

my vote is bad fuel.
I had a gent come by my place on his way to Banff and he filled up on the west side of town. He drove to almost Banff before his truck was acting up. long story short he had filled up with GAS... ooops do happen. you didn't happen to mix gas with the diesel did you?
cheers

if it does end up being bad fuel just add some kerosene to the tank. There has been alot of skunky diesel around latley. Stations buying it cheap and selling it large!

Keep draining your seperator and buy some new filters hopefully its just water carry over and you will have a shiny new looking cylinder. Could also just drain the whole tank and have a bon fire. $40 of insurance against bearing damage.

Hey guys I have noticed that it starts to miss when I have the heat and the fan turned on full blast, does that mean that it might be a alternator problem or something electrical?

crushers said:
do you hear any clicking sounds when the miss is happening?

No clicking or anything..hmmm I know I forgot to tightened down the fuel primer pump once while driving for awhile. Could that cause a air leak?

Stiffler

That can definatly cause it to run crappy or not at all. Try tightening that. There will be pressure on it if you try to puch it in without bleeding at the same time. If there is no air in the systme and you dont have to bleed it the you can have someone turn the ignition over while you lightly depress it. Or just loosen the bleeder valve on the fuel filter assmbly while screwing in the primer plunger.

Try it and see what happens.

Regards

Louis

crushers said:
do you hear any clicking sounds when the miss is happening?

Ok on my way into work today i started hereing some clicking when it misses.. Now the funny thing is that I just put in regular diesel at the Esso station and now it starts again.. all summer I was useing Gold Diesel from Sunoco and it never did it unless the fan was on.. There has to be an electrical gremlin now that I am here some clicking under the right side of the dash? where do I need to look..?

STIFFLER said:
all summer I was useing Gold Diesel from Sunoco and it never did it unless the fan was on..

You may want to look at the fan and the miss as two separate problems. The diesel engine doesn't care what your electrical system is doing while you're driving along. Do you have A/C? Are you switching on the A/C when you turn on the fan? If so, this would activate the A/C idle control lever on the pump, perhaps somethign is wrong there?

Sounds like the EDIC relay--what Wayne was getting at. Mine did it last winter after a huge rain and then stopped after it dried out. I cleaned up all the ground straps as suggested and haven't had a problem--but then stopped before I did and it has been relatively dry ever since. I'm half expecting it to return when it rains again and have to shell out the $$$ for a new relay. My problem was the same--lights on, fan, etc. would make it happen.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=41000

The relay is easily accessible/findable--follow the right side if the passenger footwell up past the outside of the glove box.

HTH
B

OK makes sense things are coming together.. I found the EDIC relay and and someone has already put a ZIPLOC bag over top of it.. CRAZY!! and it didn't miss on the way home tonight from work at all 70kms one way.. so it has to be a ground.. I will loo somemore and think of a way to keep it dry...

Thanks

Does the EDIC use the side of the glove box for its ground?

where are all the grounds for the EDIC? I am having a heck of time tracing the wires..

crushers said:
the bolts to the metal glove box is the ground, so i beleive...

well they are nice and tight.. so its not the ground then.. I still can get the edic relay to jump when I turn the headlights on and start pulling the "fan" switch in and out sometimes. Then it just does it occasionally when driving down the road.. could poor batteries cause this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom