Getting a miss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The EDIC motor grounds to the engine, and your engine ground strap will go to the frame. I do not recall if the Fuel Relay grounds to the glovebox, or if Toyota has included it in their ground loop. Download the manual from Birfield and check the wiring diagrams...

Ground the EDIC motor to the frame with some cables, and see if that eliminates it. Lowenbrau mentioned either this, or something else he has grounded...during the process of elimination...

hth's

gb

SOLVED!! The ground cable coming out of the battery connector was loose.. Turned the key foward and started wiggling wires. Lone and behold the battery ground from the right side battery falls right into my hand and I could hear the Edic relay doing some funky stuff.. Thanks for everything guys. Running like a true Land Cruiser does...

Oh man its back... or it never really went away.. When I turn the lights on now it will do it slightly but when I turn the fan on and the wipers it gets pretty bad.. I just got done putting a new ground wire off the battery to the frame and it still does it..I am thinkg there has to be something with the lights..
It only does it when you putt load on the electrical system.. I checked the voltage when it was running I was getting 29volts after i turned on everything It went down to 26volts.. I think I am going to learn to live with this..

You could allways disconnect the rod coming from the edic. But then you will have to stall the engine when you want to shut it down (or open the hood and do it manually). This will also mean the low-oil-pressure cut off will not work.

STIFFLER said:
SOLVED!! The ground cable coming out of the battery connector was loose.. Turned the key foward and started wiggling wires. Lone and behold the battery ground from the right side battery falls right into my hand and I could hear the Edic relay doing some funky stuff.. Thanks for everything guys. Running like a true Land Cruiser does...

Mine was doing things like that. Just replace all the battery clamps. Mine were stretched over the 20 or so years and needed to be replaced.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where my fuel water seprerator was on my CDN spec 3B, I change the fuel filter but have yet to inspect my FWS

cruiser_guy said:
Mine was doing things like that. Just replace all the battery clamps. Mine were stretched over the 20 or so years and needed to be replaced.

I concur with this.

from what it sounds like to me......when you start increasing your electrical load the edic relay starts failing.

well two things, you have a weak edic relay(possible).

second you have a bad battery clamp, or connection. I would replace all the positve and negative clamps and maybe the connections to the links.

It sounds like you aren't getting the flow back to the battery for grounding.

now to confuse everyone some more, conventional electrical theory says the electrons flow from positve to negative. in reality it goes the other way. electrons flow from negative to positve.

so instead of having a bad ground, you could have a high resistance connector on the positive side. thus limiting your current draw and making a weak relay shown...

this is electron theory
see
http://www.workforcedevelopment.com/sample_lessons/002_sample.pdf

halfway down or sooner it explains the two theorys......for anyone who doesn't know.

we had the same problem on the old 47, its not definately the battery negative to block that is the problem. It can also be the battery negative to body strap. Ours was terrible, you actually needed to wear seatbelts to drive it it was that bad. 20cm bit of 20A cable to the body, and it was all fixed. Handy having someone around who knew how to fix it (me).

s79bj40 said:
20cm bit of 20A cable to the body, and it was all fixed. Handy having someone around who knew how to fix it (me).

Where is this Engine to body cable located on a BJ42? I haven't looked at this yet.

there should be a cable from around the starter motor to the chassis, but if you add a new a piece of cable from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the actual body, it seems to eliminate many impendance issues. It doesnt need to be 00 guage either, just 20A or so to handle the extra load from bad connections on the other cables.

ok I put the new piece of wire from the neg battery terminal to the body and when i ran the Headlights and fan full blast it didn't seem to do it.. BUT as soon as I added the wipers it started again.. Shut the wipers off and it still started to happen... crazyness...

Battery terminals!! Cheap, probably need to be renewed anyways, and can solve alot of electrical issues. Most electrical is poor connections and the worst connection is the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom