Get mail? Got trees? Got 5 mins? Bring out the inner prehistoric knifemaker in you! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Didn't have a decent letter opener anymore...
Always wanted to make a knife from scratch... been watching too many blacksmithing vids on YT...
Well, here it is, infinitely customizable, easy to sharpen, 5 minutes fun build:
(bonus points if you guess the correct wood)
:)

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG

Last edited:
nope, sorry. FWIW, the brownish bits are the layer under the (removed) bark.

Did it all with a flap disc on a 4 1/2 incher if you're wondering... very fast and easy.

Last edited:
works a treat on letters. Actually enjoying going through junk mail now.... A bit large, though. I may go more thin stiletto-style next time.

If I can say so myself, I think the shape as seen from the top is great. From the side, not so much, though.

You guys can easily do better than this. Post your pics!

Really quite impressed with the wood. First time I ever used it for something besides firewood. Quite hard. Doesn't have a soft core, which is great for the point. Keeps an edge surprisingly well. Doesn't seem to crack on drying. That thing is strong...
(Hint about the wood in the pics)

What can I say...? It was either that or doing admin paperwork... No contest!

This one is quite a bit skinnier. Better for a letter opener I think. I could make the blade flatter, which would work even better, but it may look a bit odd at the transition, I think, need to think about that some more. (Not that it's very pretty there now, admittedly.)

If you're wondering... Yes! They would! I'm amazed at how strong these things are.

One thing I'm pleasantly surprised by is how controllable the grinder is with a flap disk. I can hold it very steady with one hand, no doubt helped a lot by the gyroscopic effect, and then apply as little pressure as I want on the blade. And move it very easily around as needed. Works very well.

Just having fun... :)

Any real knifemaker out there who could give me some pointers?

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

Last edited:
I'm certainly not a knife maker - but if you're enjoying doing work like that spring for a 1" belt sander.

Capture.JPG

The flat platen at the bottom is for flat surfaces like your blade, the unsupported portion above the platen allows convex work, and you toss that silly guard on top and the wheel allows for concave work.

I handled this and the forming of the handle down to 600 grit was done on a 1" Delta belt sander. Looks like the HF one shown in $40 with coupon - plus belts.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, that would be even more controllable and precise. Turns out I do have an old Delta (IIRC) Rockwell 1" sitting around that I will fix one of these days. Hard to beat that HF price for new, though. Beautiful wood on your handle!

Last edited:
OK, OK, since you are all clamoring to know, I'll tell ya:
This is Feijoa wood. Never used it before. Very pleased with it. (But even more with the fruits... mmm....)

Made another opener with a very flat narrow blade. Works even better. Round handle is ugly as all get out, though. Need to work on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom