Georgia Traverse - Feb 2-4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny you guys posted this. The wife and I are planning to do it from SC to the Bama side starting March 30. I posted up a few times to see if anybody from stlca or GaC wanted to go. Waiting to read day 4? Or did you bail near Helen?

Was it necessary to get any permits for any of the areas for camping or anything?

Last edited:
...we found our first locked gate on the route. It didn't take too long to figure out a reroute and we came to the Tallulah River ford.

Can you elaborate on this? Maybe a location or what section of road leads to the locked gate? I am curious as to whether this road is seasonally closed, closed for a particular reason (washout, bridge out, etc.) or simply a closed access road. I saw where there is some private land along the route and am curious as to whether a bypass should be planned before the gate and a back track.

If PM is more appropriate, I understand. TIA

Can you elaborate on this? Maybe a location or what section of road leads to the locked gate? I am curious as to whether this road is seasonally closed, closed for a particular reason (washout, bridge out, etc.) or simply a closed access road. I saw where there is some private land along the route and am curious as to whether a bypass should be planned before the gate and a back track.

If PM is more appropriate, I understand. TIA

Sure can. It turns out is a seasonal road that we missed by a month. You can find all the seasonal closures here if you know exactly what each road labelled and which ranger district it falls in to. I did not. Spoiler, this is 32C in the Chattooga District Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests - Maps & Publications

Also, as we were leaving on Sunday, we passed the turn onto the Richard B Russell Scenic Highway that we had driven the day before. It is a paved road with steep hills and was closed that morning. Considering the weather, I am guessing it was due to ice at the higher elevations.

2018-02-06_105511.jpg

2018-02-06_104956.jpg

Thank you. It sounds like that road is open only during hunting season. Good info as it appears it will be closed next month when I head up there.

I’m sure all the 80’s on the trip were in the 200’s on the climb up the one pass but I was the only one that could see actual numbers. Considering I had the yellow radiator I was the only one really worried about the number when it got over 208.

View attachment 1627061
I have graphs too! :)

Can everyone guess where Marshall's temp numbers were taken? :D

2018-02-06_134507.jpg

I picked up the maps on Amazon. I appreciate you guys documenting this. I had wanted to do this before I moved overseas. I am glad I am getting the chance. :princess: and I plan to start off March 30 from the SC side then hopefully meet up with some friends in Cohutta. She is off the entire week for Spring break so we plan to do the whole thing. Hopefully the weather is decent. If anyone wants to meet up who did not get a chance to do it or wants to do it again we would welcome the company.

Looks like it isn't going to happen. I have to be in New York for a trial. The forecast looks crappy anyway. :meh:
I will have to wait for :princess: to finish out the school year. Maybe we will hit it in June.

Got any idea on the dates for 2019? Maybe move it to MLK weekend for an additional day? (Also, so I can make it...)

Got any idea on the dates for 2019? Maybe move it to MLK weekend for an additional day? (Also, so I can make it...)
Have you been spying on our calendar draft?? :hillbilly: That is exactly what we are looking to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom