Gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep

GOLD Star
Threads
To those who have geared their Cruisers, what brand did you use, who did the install, and what did the whole job run?

I used Randy's Ring and pinion, Yukon Gears. Had them installed by Cruiser Solutions in NH. Had the birfields done at the same time so my cost was more than the gearing alone. However the gears and non OEM bearing kit was about 800.00 I think.

Toyota 4.56 gears with all Toyota extra bits. Purchased gears from Christo and had a local shop OK4WD do the install. &nbsp:Don't ask price - it was the same week I got my blower and that week brings bad mula memories. :flipoff2:

800?? Is that about average? Thats far lower (more than half) of what I was led to expect.

800??  Is that about average?  Thats far lower (more than half) of what I was led to expect.
Check with Christo to see what they normally charge - they would be a great source because you know they do it right and only use top notch gootchalakas. :D

I would go to Slee for that, but I'm not sure if I want to drive the 3000 mile trip to get there and back... especially since I've heard you should take the first 500 hundred or so in very short trips after installing the new gears.

I would go to Slee for that, but I'm not sure if I want to drive the 3000 mile trip to get there and back... especially since I've heard you should take the first 500 hundred or so in very short trips after installing the new gears.

You still can. Just pull out the 3rds, box them up and ship them out ups. It will cost less then driving and keep 3K miles off the ticker. You will also save about $200 on the install labor too.

My gears are 4.88s. After installing them it did seem a little louder but that has subsided. I talked with someone at Christo's and they said that they have used the Yukons with the same result. From what I've read the aftermarket gears are a little harder to make them stronger and the noise is from that.
From reading on 80scool you DON'T what to use Toyota pinion bearings. They have seen a lot of failures with that bearing and suggest timken I beleive. When my truck was torn down the front bearing was needing to be replaced. This was after 98k on the truck. With only light use.

Keep - I didn't mean for you to drive the 3k miles - I meant ask him what he gets for the gear swap so you can use that as a benchmark. :flipoff2:

Used Yukon Gear 4:56 ratio. $700 for gears and install kit. Pulled the 3rd members to a local guy who did the setup for $200. No new noises from the new gears. Seems to have a little less slop in the driveline with the new gears.

Bob Garrett
95 FZJ80
Shawnee, KS

rting this eekend form northern WashingtoRe: Gears

Thanks all
question for bob_garrett,
what size tires are you running and how much difference id the 4.56 gears make. I ask since I will be seeing some miles starting this weekend going form northern washington to Salt Lake City. I am currently on 33" and was thinking of trying the 4.56 gears rather than committing to 4.88 gears sicne I do not plan on ever going bigger than 33" tires.
thanks all for info.
dave :beer:

So now I'm back to the 4.56 vs 4.88 debate. I'm running 35s, and will probably stick with them. No supercharger, and doubt I'll add one anytime in the near future. Sounds like 4.88 to me... any thoughts?

Keep in my opinion:

1FZ-FE - get the 4.56 even if you're on 35's all the time. Mine are fine for 295/75 BFG AT KO's on the street and 36x13 bias ply TSL's on the trail.

3fe - don't regear it - shoot it. If you really want to regear it, go with 4.56 up to 35's. If you're running over 35's full time then get the 4.88's.

You want the 4.88s if you have 35" tires, trust me! I just drove to Atlantic City this past weekend and it was a dream to drive the truck. For those who have travelled on I84 in Conn. you know how long some of the hills are between I90 and Hartford. The truck drove through them effortlessly and even hitting speeds of 90mph I never thought the rpms were too high.
If all you will ever run is 33" tire I wouldn't go to 4.88s unless you are willing to forfet some of your highway speed for the lower grunt.

You want the 4.88s if you have 35" tires, trust me! I just drove to Atlantic City this past weekend and it was a dream to drive the truck. For those who have travelled on I84 in Conn. you know how long some of the hills are between I90 and Hartford. The truck drove through them effortlessly and even hitting speeds of 90mph I never thought the rpms were too high.
        If all you will ever run is 33" tire I wouldn't go to 4.88s unless you are willing to forfet some of your highway speed for the lower grunt.

You should've been wheeling with us in NY instead of blowing all your $$$ at the crap table. :flipoff2: :D

It was a surprise trip for my wife for tolerating me for 20 years! Lost half an ARB front Bumper  :-[
Dude, if she's know you that long, she deserves something better like a 1,000 carat diamond :D

Haven't been down there for awhile - 1/2 an ARB sounds like you got away cheap. :beer:

Dude, if she's know you that long, she deserves something better like a 1,000 carat diamond  :D :

WTF Junk! she could be standing over my shoulder when I opened this :G.

Actually she's amazingly tolerant of me. Right now I'm in the middle of a remodel of the basement for her Pool Table. That's right HER'S, so money is a little tight right now. I have noticed recently a tendency to equate value to that of Cruiser mods :G.

Answer to PHAEDRUS... If you're running a 1FZFE, the combination of 4:56 gears and 35" tires will get you closest to stock configuration. 4:88s and 33s would be great for off road, but would not be too great for extended driving at freeway speeds. If my rig weren't a daily driver, I might have gone with 4:88s. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the current setup. Crawl ratio is improved, city and highway performance is much better and gas mileage has improved.

Bob

Forgot to mention in my reply to PHAEDRUS... Current tire size is 35".

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom