Gearing question (3FE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
I know the answer as it pertains to a FZJ80, but:

If running 35" tires (on a FJ80), will 4.88 gears return the rig to stock like gearing?

Simple Yes or No is all I'm looking for, not wanting to start a discussion on turning 35" tires with a 3FE or braking, or anything else.

Oh, and if you DO have a 3FE under your hood, check out my 3FE post in the 60 section- free decals if you want 'em.

I would say yes. My rig returned to stock with 33's on 4.56s, would only assume going up to 35's 4.88s would do the same.

Last edited:
You'll be 5% lower than stock.

there is a calculator out there somewhere I think.

But why can't we talk about 3FE power too...? :D

Yes. You could also run the stock 4.10s, it's not as bad as some people say it is, unless your in CO.

I've used this calculator in the past.

Last edited:
all it is is the OEM gear ratio / OEM tire diameter =x (the needed gear ratio to bring back to stock) / New tire diameter

so........ 4.1/31 = x/35
o.132 x 35 = x
4.629 = x
so..... to be compleatly stock you would need 4.629 gears. 4.56 would be 1.5% overdrive, and 4.88 would be 5.4% underdrive.

wow algerbra did come in useful. If i was you I'd go for the 4.88's

The fj80s did not come with 4.10 guys, only the FZJs did. I think the stock ratio is in the order of 3.73. CDan has posted this before but I never really paid enough attention to be sure of the correct number.

If the stock gearing on the Fj80's is the same as FJ62's then the stock gears are 4.11's. FJ60's have 3.73's

:(

I'm not swapping in gears. I'm looking at a rig with 35's and 4.88's already in place and wanted to make sure it'll work OK. Sounds like it'll be just fine.

Thanks guys.

Now- how do i get more powa out of a 3FE? TURBO? :)

ok, so once and for all do 91-92 landcruisers U.S. Spec. have 4.11 gearing?

sc40 said:

Apparently so.

Doc said:
If the stock gearing on the Fj80's is the same as FJ62's then the stock gears are 4.11's. FJ60's have 3.73's

:(

I'm not swapping in gears. I'm looking at a rig with 35's and 4.88's already in place and wanted to make sure it'll work OK. Sounds like it'll be just fine.

Thanks guys.

Now- how do i get more powa out of a 3FE? TURBO? :)

get fortified food for the squirrels! :D

Yes,
with 35" tires and 4.88 gears and the 3FE you would be fine. would be a little short in the legs for
long highway trips as with the 4.88 gears your rpms at 70 would be somewhere in the 2800 range.
FWIW 70 (uncorrected) in mine with 33" and stock gears is about 2350.
just a consideration for ya.
Dave

Phaedrus, thought about that, but this will mainly be a 'trail rig'. They wifey's FZJ with stock gears and 33's is the 'nice' one that would be taken on any long trips.

Unless it's a wheeling destination like CO.

As long as your wife is not always in a hurry like mine that should be a pretty slick set up. FWIW I drove down to moab last month from seattle area, sent the wife and kid on a plane and I drove alone. No big hurry and a much better drive and no compaints about "why are you going so slow on this hill????"
Should be a good set up wiht 35" and 4.88. vague as my memory is of my truck prior to lift it kept up on the highway pretty well.
Dave

I've run 35" BFG MT's on steel wheels for a few days just to test what they'd do on my stock gears. To my lead foot they really do not act much more different than my fulltime 33's. I tested everything on the 35's, flexed, stop and go'd, highway'd it w/ cruise control on for 20 or so miles, and it really did not perform much different. I put about 300 miles on the 35's in a few days, I liked them alot.
The jump from 35 to 33 was not nearly as dramatic as going to 33 from 31. When I do eventually purchase 35 I will also regear.... one day

sc40 said:

No-Like all 80 series sold in the USA they have 4.10. The pinion has 10 teeth, the ring gear has 41 teeth. Do the math.

It's the older cruisers that have 4.11. The pinion has 9 teeth and the ring gear has 37.

In the real world, they are the same.

For some reason Toyota changed the rear diff in the 80 series from all the Cruisers that preceeed them-the carrier bearings are different and smaller, and the carriers themselves are not interchangable with the older ones. This also coincided with the change from 4.11 to 4.10. The 4.10 gears can be used in all of the older cruisers though and I know several people running rear 80 series gears in FJ60s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom