Gearing for Tire Size (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Yeah, bunch of of old threads about this, just thought I'd take the current temp and ask what other things a regear affects. How, for example, does it affect a custom transmission rebuild?

Found this on Cruiser Outfitters site...

62 & 80 Series with stock 4.11 gearing:Going to a 33" tire size: 4.56, 35" tires, 4.88, 37"+ tires, 5.29 ratio ring & pinion. Please keep in mind that these are just recommendations...

those pairings give the truck a little power advantage and work well. However on a 91-92 I've built them with 5.29s on a 35" tire which really helps.
On a 91-92 with 33" and no desire to go bigger would you do 4.56 or 4.88?

I put 4.88 gears in mine, on 33's. Its a touch over what was really needed, but it hauls the camper so much better. There isn't enough HP to say it leaps up hills, but there's enough torque it sure doesn't struggle anymore.

37s and 5.29s are a great combo. I can do 80 in my 80 all day, assuming I don't hit any big hills.

4.88 with TC high range underdrive with 37s on my 91 and part time w/ crawler gear and wholesale HD valve body, zero complaints pulling grade . keeping up with 1FZs and no reliability compromise and get the job done.

This is what I used for the 4Runner. It guided me to go from3.73 stock gears to 4.56 for the new tires. I nudged it from the Highway/Daily powerband to the Daily/More Power section. With the larger tires and stock gears it was downshifting all the time, now it's fine. The numbers in the table are RPM at 65 MPH.
1677172697798.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom