GD,MF electrical short (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
A little back story, Truck was bought in California and now has 317,000 miles on it. Been a good performing vehicle, rust free but paint that was peeling.

A few years ago the 10amp fuse in the relay block in the engine compartment blew and I lost all interior lights and the radio. New fuse and everything was right in the world again.

Last year the 10 amp fuse in the relay block blew, no interior lights and no radio. New fuse and everything was right in the world again.

A month ago I upgraded the radio and when I turning it on there was no radio, the 10 amp fuse in the relay block had blown. New fuse and everything was right in the world again.

Two weeks ago, jumped in the truck started it up and no radio. Got out my VOM did some quick continuity checks on that 10amp fuse and there was a short to ground. Started tearing the driver's side foot well apart as that is where the wiring bundle enters and the short disappeared. But I was wiggling the harness that went up the A pillar to the roof. New fuse and everything was right in the world again.

Last week the truck had no lights and the radio was dead. Time to pull the head liner.

I'm posting this as this quite possibly happen to someone else if it hasn't all ready.

The harness that travels up the A pillar supplies power to all the accessories in the roof and branches out to all of those from the top of the pillar.

One branch travels back to the middle and rear over head lights and the other branch travels across the windshield to both sun visors, front over head lights and moon roof. All the branches are are straight runs with limited bends except one, the drivers side sun visor.

The power for the drivers side (left) sun visor travels from the A pillar along the roof some 7" then doubles back through an unprotected hole to the corner of the A pillar. the wires were protected but they were also short causing the harness to rub against the unprotected hole in the sheet metal and short out.

Attached are two photos that show the overall routing of the wiring and the repair I made.

New fuse and everything was right in the world again.
IMG_0104[1].JPG
IMG_0102[1].JPG

Nice detective work. So the insulation was damaged on two wires, ?? yellow-green and white-xxxx?

Put a grommet in that hole or some gator track. Nice find

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom