gbentink Turbo Upgrade Users Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hardwickhousewares.com
gturbo Upgrade Users Thread

I didn't see one so I thought I'd start a thread where users of Graeme's turbo upgrade can share their results.

Mine: Generally stock 12H-T in a US FJ-60. Stock injector pump with fuel screw backed out a few turns. Previous turbo had boost controller set to 14 PSI. Weight = 6200 lbs.

Before: Blew a little smoke on hard acceleration, but not bad. Typical slow LandCruiser. Pretty good torque. Much better than the 2F it originally had.

After: Significantly improved acceleration and torque. Boost starts as soon as I pull away from my driveway. Depending on gear and load I my boost gauge starts to move as low as 1400rpm. I see best low rpm boost in 3rd gear. Boost holds above 20psi until I reach my fuel limit at around 2800rpm. (I still have the gas fuel lines. They are a bit small for diesel and seem to be the limiting factor in performance for me.) My observations are purely subjective as I don't have before or after dyno data.

General observations: I found Graeme's turbo to be a good value compared to new replacements, and higher priced than a typical rebuild. For the most part mine was a pretty good "bolt-on". I had a couple of fitment issues. The exhaust manifold bolt pattern is off just enough that I had a pretty hard time fitting. I didn't have to drill out the holes, but it took some coersion to attach. The compressor outlet angle is slightly off making attachment to the cross-over pipe difficult. The turbine housing doesn't have a mounting boss for the existing turbo bracket, so I wasn't able to use it. I'll have to fab one so I don't have all that weight hanging on the exhaust manifold. The turbo sounds quite different than the original. That made me a little nervous at first, but I'm getting used to it.

Conclusions: Over-all, I'd say this product delivers on its promises. I need larger fuel lines to fully utilize it, but what I have seen so far is pretty satisfying. This turbo appears to be a nice upgrade without serious drawbacks. Time will tell what the long-term impact will be.

Would I recommend a gbentink turbo to a friend? Yes.

Last edited:
all smiles

totally agree, i am glad you started this thread also happy that you are in Oregon i live in Los Angeles and i will be driving from Washington state to Los Angeles this coming monday or tuesday i will be taking the coastal route if you are on the route let me know.

how many turn did you unscrew the fuel screw Graeme and Tim have been trying to get me to do that. you are giving me some courage, finally there is someone in the same continent.

my turbo bolted on no problem but i did have to fabricate a bracket (very easy) i also have my water line connected. did you connect your? i was told not necessary but i wanted to play it safe. i also agree about the whining noise it is different seems to be louder not sure but i am use to it now.

i am getting so much boost at low rpm that i believe that my gauge is wrong i will have that it check. i am getting 15PSI at 1,400 rpm this cannot be correct.

i have driven 4000 miles with the turbo crossing the continental divide probably 4 times some over 10,000 feet on 3rd gear sometime 2nd but i keep my EGT at 900 fahrenheit. on this last leg i will push it to about 1100 fahrenheit see what it does.:cheers:

Soon to be a user .. so I will stay tunned with this thread .. I hope mine it's a exact and direct bolt on .. one of the reasons of my selection ...

rideglobally,

I have the fuel screw backed out around 3 turns. I got performance increases up to that point and no further, due I believe to the fuel lines.

I'm in Eugene, about an hour from the coast and close to I-5. If that's not too far out of your way, PM for directions. I can arrange to meet you.

Tapage,

Good luck! You won't be disappointed!

Dont forget to mention what engine you have people.

Before: BJ74 factory 13BT that had a CT26 on it, previously I would get ~20psi at 3000rpm and high EGT's, my car is intercooled and has a 3'' exhaust with the fuel pump adjusted aggressively, it went pretty well but was doughy to drive down low.

After, Turbo more or less bolted straight on, I had to rotate the compressor housing a litlte due to my custom setup and the supplied wastegate was not happy, it blew and I now use the stock toyota wastegate. I have screwed the max fuel screw in on the pump till I only have just enough thread for the lock not, pump is maxed out. Now I have ~20psi at 2000rpm, it pulls very well with more response and torque lower in the rpm range. As I am running lean all the time now pretty much, my EGT's are low, I have to push hard to get past 600c pre turbo on road. I just wish I could get more fuel into it and wind the boost to 30psi.

Thats great Mountain Goat! the first series of turbos had a compressor wheel alloy that tended to "ring" a bit so you definately know that you are on boost. As of last week I received a new batch with a different alloy spec (my qualification is metallurgical engineer) and the replacement (identical dimensionally) compressor wheel barely makes any noise at all.

On fitment, I change the turbine housing so maybe I need to drill the holes bigger. I have fit these myself on numerou occasions and it hasnt been an issue - you do need to get your orientation exactly right however. And additionally regarding the mounting bracket, yes that is corrct, the lug is in a different location than for the 12HT (its OK for the 1HDT and 1HDFT) and I should have mentioned that. TimHJ61 actually made a bracket for me as a sample so that I can send it to folk that install them; apologies for not mentioning it.

It's a funny thing; I asked TimHJ61 whether or not he would like less turbo whistle and he looked at me strangely...... followed promptly with "not a chance".

I only have a couple of the original comp wheels left, so when ordering, you are going to have to order "savage" or "finess".

Last edited:
Gbentink,
Do you have a website or thread somewhere with specs and pricing on your turbos?
I am interested.
- hijack over.

Hi All

I am to add on the list.

I have fitted my G turbo on my 80 after having tried different IP setting and Intercooler as i wasn't satisfied with my engine response.
It is an HDJ80 with HD-T engine, manual gearbox 4wd full time and from 1991 on 265 75r16 BFG mud.

After installing the G turbo, 3" ss full line and Cross country intercooler i found that the engine was more fast on response but had less power and hardly went over 2800rpm. :hmm:

That was before starting to work on injection pump:popcorn:.

Graeme has an interesting approach on doing this job and i followed him step by step:wrench:.

Now it is great, but i still think i might be able to get better by changing the boost compensator by a few other one i have. (different slope angle) i just need the time to do it.

I have set to to max boost 1.3bar that i get about 1800rpm (0.95bar at 1600rpm) and i keep it all the way up, i tried just a few times over 3500rpm, but usually shirt before 3000rpm as it make no sense going more up as it push the same from 1700rpm.

I have very reasonable amount of smoke, means it is very fine to be driven in europe even with our strict rules, and it only smoke slightly when i hammer it, else it is just lean.:clap:

So far i only managed to reach 1.3 bar in 4th and 5th gear, in 3rd gear i manage to get 1/1.2 bar uphill when i hammer it, but it speed up so fast that the pressure do not even need to raise more to pull you up like a rocket.

I need to work on my gauge hoses as they are too soft and bring damping on my measurement, so bellow .6 or .7bar i am not accurate enough to tell what pressure i really have at what rpm.

The engine felt different when i fitted my crosscountry IC on the original turbo setted to .9bar. It was much more smooth to run.

Since i fitter g turbo and 3" line, it is even smoother and it revs up like it never did before. it sounds very good as well and the whistle of the turbine is:D but my turbo tap might be for a good part in it. the noise level is still very good, very close to the original one even with the 3" line

I only had a wish, that it start kick in a little earlier, a kick in at 1200rpm would have been a pure pleasure, the kick in at 1400rpm is not bad thought:steer: maybe i can get that with an other boost compensator slope.

On a roundabout in 3rd if i floor it, the front wheel spins out:flipoff2:

I've had the first prototype 'g turbo' fitted to my 12H-T for 10,000km.

More recently I have completed the full transformation by installing a 600mm front mount intercooler. engine internals are standard and 230,000km old.

I've posted my data elsewhere in this forum and have put all the details with photos on my website at http://www.peoplehelp.com.au/landcruiser and http://www.peoplehelp.com.au/landcruiser/turbo-and-intercooler.html

In summary. This turbo transformed the everyday driveability of the Engine by enabling boost to come on about 350 rpm earlier. This allows earlier gear changes, smoother acceleration, more usable power when off roading or beach driving.

With the addition of the intercooler, it pulls like a train at highway speeds, and the torque and pickup from 100kmh to 120 kmh, and probably beyond, is nothing short of extraordinary when compared to before I made any changes. Even my mechanically disinterested children have commented on how much more power it has. It's been dynoed at 450nm at 1700rpm.

Regarding fitment. As Graeme has said, the 12h-t needs a small bracket to connect the base of the turbo to the original bracket that bolts onto the side of the engine. It is about 75mm long with approximate 30* bend in the middle, and two holes drilled. Simple. I don't understand why manifold bolt holes wouldn't line up. It was a direct bolt on for me onto both manifold and exhaust side. The oil and coolant lines are awkward but that's no different to reinstalling the standard turbo. I left off my coolant line with no apparent detriment.

Noise. Sure, it makes a noise. It sounds like a turbo. I like it. If it was a bit quieter that would be okay, and Graeme has learnt from mine and resolved this 'problem'. It will be quieter when I reinstall the standard air box as it currently has a pod filter which are always more noisy, so I'm not really sure where the noise is coming from.. My 3" exhaust makes a noise too. It's all very reasonable; I'm not driving a brand new super quiet luxury car - this veggie cruiser has character!

tim

I'd like to know whether none of you are worried about engine longevity when vastly exceeding factory boost settings.
Thanks,
cheers,
jan

Bracket

on a 12ht here is what that bracket looks like, very simple.:cheers:
IMG_0740.jpg

Jan,

I do have some concern about overboosting. I'll be watching for excessive blow-by and harder starting. I rarely push my engine hard, so I don't expect issues. Keeping my eyes open though.

I'd like to know whether none of you are worried about engine longevity when vastly exceeding factory boost settings.
Thanks,
cheers,
jan

Thanks all for the bracket fab info.

:cheers:

Thanks,
cheers,
jan

No. At the time of building the 12h-t, Toyota had no competition with DI factory Turbo. They had no need to go for extra performance, Nissan couldn't match the 12h-t. They build conservatively.

Not trying to come across all defensive, but do you have any evidence of anyone having engine trouble solely from extra boost on these engines? I suspect not, but your concerns are reasonable without the experience we have gained. I had these same concerns when I started and was very conservative and protective of my 'delicate' engine. What we know is the 12h-t has a good bottom end with piston oil sprayers. The head gasket has plenty of gasket between galleries under pressure. It's not at all 'delicate' and is able to handle all that we have thrown at it. I expect to replace pistons at 350,000kms due to the piston ring issue on the 12h-t, but that's nothing to do with boost.

As stated many times in these forum, it is the heat that does the damage, not boost per se.

I am running the g turbo, intercooler and 3" exhaust with fuel screw unwound completely. At highway cruise speed my EGT - regarded as the best measure of engine strain - are sitting at 280°C. Boost at this speed is 0.8 bar - 12psi. EGT as this level are lower than before I added all these things, so the engine is breathing better, more efficiently, and running with lower EGT - It could be argued that these mods are likely to improve engine life, not decrease it.

Under full load, up to 1.5 bar - 20psi, my EGT rarely gets to 450°C pre turbo. Prior to installing the g turbo, but with increased boost to 15psi or 1 bar, my EGT would hit 650°C to 700°C under long sandhill climbing conditions.

Being able to lose 200°C of EGT surely must be better for the engine, cooling system and oil condition than not doing it, and the performance of the engine and my enjoyment of driving it are far increased. It's the increased air flow of the g turbo that has enabled this to all come together.

Tim

I'd be interested in what your cruising fuel consumption is. Seems like you're pumping plenty excess air, which must use extra power...?

It must be awesome having almost 1 bar boost at 1400rpm. I've got an auto and only have about 0.3bar at those revs. Must be magic for the long hills.

No. At the time of building the 12h-t, Toyota had no competition with DI factory Turbo. They had no need to go for extra performance, Nissan couldn't match the 12h-t. They build conservatively.

Not trying to come across all defensive, but do you have any evidence of anyone having engine trouble solely from extra boost on these engines? I suspect not, but your concerns are reasonable without the experience we have gained. I had these same concerns when I started and was very conservative and protective of my 'delicate' engine. What we know is the 12h-t has a good bottom end with piston oil sprayers. The head gasket has plenty of gasket between galleries under pressure. It's not at all 'delicate' and is able to handle all that we have thrown at it. I expect to replace pistons at 350,000kms due to the piston ring issue on the 12h-t, but that's nothing to do with boost.

As stated many times in these forum, it is the heat that does the damage, not boost per se.

I am running the g turbo, intercooler and 3" exhaust with fuel screw unwound completely. At highway cruise speed my EGT - regarded as the best measure of engine strain - are sitting at 280°C. Boost at this speed is 0.8 bar - 12psi. EGT as this level are lower than before I added all these things, so the engine is breathing better, more efficiently, and running with lower EGT - It could be argued that these mods are likely to improve engine life, not decrease it.

Under full load, up to 1.5 bar - 20psi, my EGT rarely gets to 450°C pre turbo. Prior to installing the g turbo, but with increased boost to 15psi or 1 bar, my EGT would hit 650°C to 700°C under long sandhill climbing conditions.

Being able to lose 200°C of EGT surely must be better for the engine, cooling system and oil condition than not doing it, and the performance of the engine and my enjoyment of driving it are far increased. It's the increased air flow of the g turbo that has enabled this to all come together.

Tim

Thanks for the answers!
cheers,
jan

I've also seen lower EGT. Less smoke too.

I did notice that when I first bumped my boost to 14PSI (a few years ago) that I had a lot more blow-by. My oil blackens much more quickly. I assume that won't improve, but if it doesn't get worse, I won't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom