Gasket sealer/maker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What does everyone use for gasket sealer for the transfercase in particular.? I am doing the final assembly tomorrow of my AA nv4500 adapter to split case and am thinking of omitting the gaskets for the transferase and using permatex gear oil rtv gasket maker instead.......any thoughts? I am planning on running amsoil mtg in my transfercase so I was thinking the gasket maker might be the best to eliminate leaks from synthetic oil? My other thought is to just use the permatex high tack brushable sealer with the gaskets.

I've had good results using the gaskets with The Right Stuff as a sealer.

I have heard the "right stuff" works well. I am thinking that the permatex gear oil sealer might be the ticket though without any gaskets. It sets kind of firm and is supposed to be resistant to synthetic oils. I used some on my nv4500 and liked the way it set up and held in place....I haven't had any oil in it yet though so not sure of long term. I think there are quite a few good ways to do this. Anybody used the relatively new permatex gear oil rtv?

Ultra grey is good too, but i am thinking this gear oil rtv is the wave of the future. Maybe I will do it with no gaskets and be the guinea pig.

99.9% it would seal just fine with just the paper gasket. If you want some extra insurance than use any RTV silicone. I like the Ultra Grey, but the last one I did (today) I used some Hi-temp Red I had sitting around. Biggest issue is to seal the bolt threads that sit below the oil line. I use Hylomar but there are other thread sealers out there.

Dyno

Thanks Dynosoar. That's a good tip about sealing the bolts lower than the oil line......I would have missed that one.

Hylomar is a good call on the gaskets too. Stuff that I want to easily take apart and re-assemble sees Hylomar. Anything English with an o-ring sees it slathered both onto the o-ring and into the groove.

Had Ultra Gray fail on a gear oil sealing application once (VW bus trans-axle nose cone), don't trust it any more. On the advice of my local 4x4 shop owner I replaced it with the Right Stuff and have used it ever since.

I have been using Permatex gasket sealant on paper gaskets since my daddy told me it was the only
way to do it.

However, as I got older, I learned it only do it on the parts of the gaskets that are really liable to
leak, like just around the sealing surface of the water pump, not all the paper. Since the stuff is
difficult at best to remove. It seals bolts well, too.

And Permatex Ultra Black seems to be a really good all- round RTV wherever gasoline's not present.

If you leave the paper gaskets out of the t- case, are there any bearings than will need to be re- shimmed?
I've skimmed the manual, but not really dug into a t- case yet.

t

I have used Permatex Ultra Black on many things now. I used it on the transfer-case in conjunction with paper gaskets. I used it on the bolt threads. Used on my H42 front bearing retainer.

I like the stuff. I put on a thin bead to the paper gaskets. I figure it won't hurt nothing, and I don't want leaks. Wish my engine could agree with the rest of the oil holding pieces on my motor though!

And I'd say that if Toyota put a paper or cork gasket somewhere... leave one in place. The marginal thickness might have a small effect on the preload or whatever it is called.

I left the paper gaskets and just did a thin coat of the gear oil rtv.........I agree that the gaskets should be left, it does seem to effect the bearing preload and overall tightness.... Bottom line, is that toyota designed these well and we all know how many miles an fj60/62 can go without problems might as well not mess with what works... After looking at how the adapter works an seals I am not going to bother running synthetic in the transfercase. It looks like there is little chance of it cross contaminating with the nv4500 synthetic which is something I was concerned about.

The "RIGHT STUFF" is great!! Like the Franks red hot sauce commercial says "I put that sh*t on everything!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom