gas tank skid plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My OEM plate was badly bent up so I decided to remove it to try to straighten it. I did what others did and supported the tank with some sticks of lumber.
20230924_125825.jpg

20230924_125818.jpg

My gas light was on in preparation for this so I had only a few gallons in the tank.

Removal is done by taking off a cable support for the parking brake (12mm) on the rear strap and two inboard 14mm strap bolts. The outboard of the straps are on a hinge and easily fold out of the way.

Once out I discovered the bash plate was super flimsy and I was able to easily straighten it by banging on it with a ball pean hammer while supported by a couple pieces of 2x.
20230924_131447.jpg

Last edited:
Installation was easy enough. I supported the old bash plate with my floor jack and folded the straps back over and put the two 14mm bolts back in. Torqued to 29 flbs. Uga dugaed the parking brake clamp. Anti seize on all bolts.

Next, put the nut plates in place in the bash plate. They just sit in the OEM holes that align with the holes in the Asfir plate. Be sure to look at the diagram to know which nut plate goes where. The short bolt goes in the front driver's side hole. Then I raised the new Asfir plate up against the OEM bash plate. It helps to have a helper to assist with raising the new plate and getting it aligned.
20230924_134401.jpg

Now this was sort of difficult. Get the 13mm bolts started. I did the two front ones, realligned the jack and then attacked the back ones. The rear inboard hole was way off so I had to wallow out the hole in the OEM plate to get it to line up. Once all the bolts were started I snugged them all up.

Bob's your uncle.
20230924_140724.jpg

20230924_140734.jpg

I am not too sure this will hold up to the big rocks we encounter in the southeast but we will see. The pan itself is nice and thick and lightweight. I am a little concerned with the nut plates and the possibility of the bolts being able to puncture the tank or rub a hole in it. I also feel like the concave washers that Asfir supplies to center the 13mm mounting bolts in the holes of their pan are super flimsy. I expect them to get damaged first which will likely allow the plate to rip free while leaving the bolts dangling in place and then the nut plates will fall out and all will be lost.

We will see. I am going to Southern Cruiser Crawl next month so it will likely see some abuse.

This was a :banana: job with a helper. :cheers:

20230924_140730.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom