Gas Tank Replacement Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last month I had the gas tank on my 06 LX470 replaced.

We replaced it with a stock tank from a used parts dealer, since we could not locate a new OEM tank.

While it was in the shop we also “deleted” the hydraulics and replaced with land cruiser torsion bars rear springs and shocks.

We also fluid filmed the undercarriage to help mitigate the rust situation due to 15 years on New England roads.

I noticed soon after that I could not fill the tank with any significant “flow” from the pump.

Also, within 36 hours the check engine light popped on. We are reading EVAP codes.

After doing some reading here, I saw that the flex pipe from the filler neck to the tank often creates issues due to the inner lining separating and causing slow flow.

I grabbed a new flex pipe and brought truck back to mechanic. They did a smoke test, and everything is tight but the gas cap. I will replace that.
They also pulled the flex pipe and confirmed that there were no issues with separation or other obvious impediments to fuel flow.
We are kinda stuck as to what to try next.

Anyone have any experience or ideas? Is there a flap or something in the tank that may be stuck?

Any guidance is appreciated. Our family loves this vehicle and I want to get it right again.

Luke

What year was the tank from? Was it identical? Apparently there is a difference from the 98-05 tanks to the 06-07 tanks. I haven’t been able to confirm exactly what that is though.

I believe 06-07 has a different EVAP vent design.

Just to confirm. It was an 06 tank replacing an 06 tank.

We never filled the tank completely because of the amount of time it would have taken.
Plus with evap codes I felt better driving around town with 2 gallons rather than 20, just in case I was actually driving a Molotov cocktail.

Is there a ball valve or anything in the filler neck that may be stuck?

I trust these guys will figure it out, but wanted to draw from the well it expierence here.

It sounds like the fast fill hose (smaller vent hose from tank to gas cap) is kinked or otherwise obstructed. I suspect the fill hose could be kinked as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom