Gas tank questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sando Serious

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. If someone has a link another thread by all means point me in the right direction...

I have a "snorkel" gas tank that is completely rusted out from my pre 09/72 FJ40. The only replacements I've really seen are some OEM ones which seem pretty spendy. What other years can I use in the 72? I think the dimensions are pretty much the same or are they not? What about the fill tube going into the tank? Is that going to matter if I have the snorkel and the later years are different? I found a tank from a 78 in great shape that's selling for a good price and just want to make sure it'll work before pulling the trigger. Thanks...

Jake

71 and 72 are the only years that will just drop in if you still have all the emissions. SOR shows 9/71 to 9/72 but I'm pretty sure emission were the same in 71 as 72. Looking at your build thread I see you have a 72 model not a 73. 9/72 was the change over month but yours is a 72 model. The 73-78 was a different design. Could maybe be made to work but the fill neck and shape are different. The early gas tanks out of a FJ40 should work if your not using emissions. 65 and earlier had a different sending unit which would be hard to find. If you find a pre 66 tank sending unit you will have to match the fuel gauge to match.

I have an early 72 gas tank that is in good condition. Took it out to replace it with a 20 gal installed over rear axle. contact me and make an offer. can send a couple of pics when I get back this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom