Gas pedal must be pressed while cranking the starter to start FJ80 with 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Began three months ago after my starter was replaced with OEM remanufactured at a shop, after my original starter was failing and had to be hit with a hammer to crank. The hard start issues then appeared, but generally only when the car is warm. When it is a cold start, I do not typically have an issue.

I must lightly press down the gas pedal while cranking for it to start, after I shut off the car for a moment to enter a business. I can also press the gas pedal down fully a few times, then crank the car and it will start. Over the past two months, the cold start injector was cleaned, fuel pressure damper replaced with OEM, and ISV valve was cleaned. Issue still persists.

Earlier last year before these problems began, the fuel pressure regulator was replaced with OEM Toyota suggested on ih8mud for FJ62 with 3FE, replaced EFI main relay with the improved model. Coolant temperature sending unit, air intake hoses, and fuel pump and strainer were replaced with OEM.

In 2020, the charcoal canister, fuel filter, gas cap, and PCV valve were replaced. Throttle body was cleaned, accelerator cable adjusted, valve adjustment performed and valve cover gasket replaced.

Any thoughts?

how about fuel pressure pulsation damper?

That was replaced today and the issue persists. I also removed the EFI main relay and 15amp EFI fuse for 15 minutes afterwards.

That was replaced today and the issue persists. I also removed the EFI main relay and 15amp EFI fuse for 15 minutes afterwards.

so clearly a fuel issue. Hows your fuel pump and sock? Have those been replaced?

It's not a "gas" pedal it is an "accelerator" pedal which on an EFI motor modulates the air intake butterfly, does nothing related to additional fuel. So if pressing the accelerator allows the engine to start implies the path of air with the butterfly closed is not sufficient to start the engine. Not familiar with 3FE terminology, but with the 1FZ the IAC - Idle Air Control controls the air bypass around the butterfly. So I would check the bypass path for clogs/restriction or the proper function of the IAC equivalent.

It's not a "gas" pedal it is an "accelerator" pedal which on an EFI motor modulates the air intake butterfly, does nothing related to additional fuel. So if pressing the accelerator allows the engine to start implies the path of air with the butterfly closed is not sufficient to start the engine. Not familiar with 3FE terminology, but with the 1FZ the IAC - Idle Air Control controls the air bypass around the butterfly. So I would check the bypass path for clogs/restriction or the proper function of the IAC equivalent.

The 3FE Idle Speed Control (ISC) Valve was cleaned today at an auto shop, since I did not want to risk stripping the screws.

According to the FSM, if the engine starts with accelerator pedal depressed - then it is related to the ISC system (ISC valve and wiring connection).

My ISC valve could potentially be faulty then.

Did the shop clean both the valve and the passages in the throttle body?

This is the classic symptom of a ”flooded” engine, where there is excess fuel in the intake and the mixture is too rich to fire. Opening the throttle allows more air in, leaning out the mixture. The fuel has to be coming from somewhere and leaking injectors would seem to be the most likely.

This is the classic symptom of a ”flooded” engine, where there is excess fuel in the intake and the mixture is too rich to fire. Opening the throttle allows more air in, leaning out the mixture. The fuel has to be coming from somewhere and leaking injectors would seem to be the most likely.

The auto shop said the idle speed control valve did not look too bad.

May indeed be a fuel issue, possibly the fuel injectors.

Here is my experience... It seems as though you have run through the same items as I did, though.
Unfortunately, I have no other ideas coming to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom