Garage paint job on a budget... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys! ... amazin how something so simple as a drive to the store can really put your mind right! I really love this thing!
At our house we call it Cruiser Therapy

Do you mind posting what grit sandpaper you used on the orbital sander, and how long that took you?

I had thought about that, but seemed like it would take for ever to do the whole tub that way.

Thanks.

I think I started out with like 80 grit then went to 120 and then 240. That was used only when stripping the tub and not during painting!!! It did not take a huge amount of time... That being said I had my cruiser down for almost 2 years!!! :crybaby: Good Luck and let me know how it goes! Mark

Thanks Mark. One thing I do have is a DA sander, so hopefully that will help things along. While time is something I don't necessarily have a lot of, money is in even shorter supply :frown: , so I don't want to pay for a blasting job.

My plan is to chemically strip/blast cabinet the smaller parts, then follow your plan and sand the body.

Appreciate the help.

great results man, that rig looks sweet. Would never have guessed $500 to do that sort of job

I sprayed the hood with four coats of color... I promptly sanded right through to the primer when I feebly tried to wet sand out a run... So i think all in all I have seven coats on the hood and four every where else. :flipoff2:

Mark:

Great job! Did you do all of this with just 1 gallon of paint?

Also, is that a stock Valspar color, or were you able to have it color matched?

Brian

Last edited:
Yes one gallon of paint. This paint is mixed 4:1:1, Paint:reducer:hardener. So I guess you end up with a gallon and a half... Also I did not color match as my Cruiser was baby blue. I went to Painters supply in Salem and Tracy the owner pulled out his paint book and we looked through the colors before deciding to go with this one. Hope that helps!! Thanks again for the compliments! Mark

can I get a close up of your dashboard?

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom