Garage door opener security issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
The garage door remote in my 2013 LC works with the key off. I find this a security issue as anyone can break the window and open the garage door.
Is there a way to program that feature to only work with the key on?

Both my Cayenne and Forester will not work unless the key is on. Thanks in advance.

My '13 LC does the same thing. Chain link around the property and a couple of Belgian Shepherds tend to keep strangers off the property. Beyond that, we're in a very agricultural neighborhood and neighbors tend to watch out for each other. As far as other factors, we're in Idaho and you'd be exceptionally stupid to wander here, especially at night. :bigtears:

My '13 LC does the same thing. Chain link around the property and a couple of Belgian Shepherds tend to keep strangers off the property. Beyond that, we're in a very agricultural neighborhood and neighbors tend to watch out for each other. As far as other factors, we're in Idaho and you'd be exceptionally stupid to wander here, especially at night. :bigtears:
Good for you

Does your opener have a vacation setting button you can set as you leave the garage. That prevents remote use on my opener. You just have to remember to hit the button before you head out.

Does your opener have a vacation setting button you can set as you leave the garage. That prevents remote use on my opener. You just have to remember to hit the button before you head out.
I'll have to check. Thanks

Remote operated garage doors are security risk just by themselves. I’ve seen a demo of a kid using a step stool to reach the top of the garage door, shove a door stop in the top gap to widen it and reach in with a coat hanger to pull the emergency release cord from the outside. There are many devices that can spoof a remote code as well. I personally don’t program in-car garage openers since I usually carry my insurance and registration in the vehicle with my home address, why give a car thief or any valet with a code reader access to my house too. But I have been called paranoid by some….😂

Funny story... when I first got my 200 in 2017 I programmed it to my garage doors. Then I randomly would come home to the garage doors open. Of course, I blamed the wife for not remembering to close them. Then one day she came home and one was open. That night I went out to the garage to investigate and the door actuated just as my neighbor was pulling in.

Turns out that while in learning mode my neighbor must have been using his controller because it added his to our security set. So everytime he hit the button ours would cycle.

Remote operated garage doors are security risk just by themselves. I’ve seen a demo of a kid using a step stool to reach the top of the garage door, shove a door stop in the top gap to widen it and reach in with a coat hanger to pull the emergency release cord from the outside. There are many devices that can spoof a remote code as well. I personally don’t program in-car garage openers since I usually carry my insurance and registration in the vehicle with my home address, why give a car thief or any valet with a code reader access to my house too. But I have been called paranoid by some….😂
Another reason not to valet your car. A friend and his wife went to dinner only to return home to find jewelry and other valuables missing. No forced entry. They have your car, your address, and access to your garage. They know they likely have over an hour to do the job. Furthermore your neighbors won’t find anything suspicious about your car entering your garage and the door closing behind it.

We have a detached garage. Years ago the power went out for four days and a friend was lending us a generator and I needed extension cords. They were all in the garage and at the time our garage did not have a people door. I learned the emergency release cord trick.

Regarding insurance and registration in the vehicle with a home address. None of my mine has anything other than our name on the insurance cards as well as the registration paperwork. If yours does I would contact your DMV and ask they change their process. Same with insurance. In the meantime, white out your address.

Last edited:
Or have your nav set to your real home address.

If they can break your window to get to your garage door opener, they can just as easily break a window on your house and come on in.

If they want to get in, they'll get in. It just boils down to how much risk you're willing to accept and what you're willing to do to mitigate that risk.

Yup, that's what big dogs are for.

My Dobe and American Bulldog would go absolutely apesh*t if someone tried to break in. The mail lady hates dropping off packages at the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom