GaiaGPS beta testing CarPlay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC4LIFE

Supporting Vendor
Threads
FYI - I just got my invitation to help beta test GaiaGPS for Carplay. Loaded it today and it seems to be working relatively well.

I love Gaia, and am super happy with this turn of events. I will post back more here and I encourage anyone else beta testing to do the same.

Last edited:
That's awesome!!! Loved it the couple times I have used it out on the trail and pay the $19/yr for the membership to get things updated.

Wow! Use it all the time on the trails. Good to hear.

Been using it for a few days now, and it is definitely lacking, but I am optimistic for sure. Hopefully, Gaia will get those sorted, but so far so good, but at this point, don't get a new stereo simply for Gaia. That is, unless lots of progress is made prior to its official CarPlay release. I find the real benefit to Gaia is prepping it prior to leaving home. Getting the maps, routes, etc. set up, that way you don't have to rely on cell signal. Kind of like we used to do it with real maps:) If you have all the data into the Gaia app prior to your trip, it works extremely well and you will find yourself never wanting more.

More to come.

So the rumors are true.

Keep us updated.

Here is some more feedback on the recent CarPlay integration.

I have used it for more than 20 hours of off grid navigation over the last couple weeks. I also intentionally hid my phone along with making sure that I did not have cell service in order to force myself to use it as it works through my Sony head unit. I have learned quite a bit about what works well and what it lacking.

1. It's very nice having one less screen in the vehicle
2. Getting routes, waypoints, and maps downloaded ahead is paramount to a good experience
3. Zooming in/out works well
4. I do not like that that vehicle marker stays in the center of the screen and you cannot move the map around. This comes in handy in order to see what is out in front of you and allows to see what is coming up. This is something I used often on the tablet I used to run and really the only thing I miss badly.
5. You cannot set waypoints or start recording a track from the head unit. This would be nice, but not real critical, at least in the way I use it.
6. It never crashed, or acted oddly, so I am pretty pleased with the CarPlay version.

Last edited:
Here is some more feedback on the recent CarPlay integration.

I have used it for more than 20 hours of off grid navigation over the last couple weeks. I also intentionally hid my phone along with making sure that I did not have cell service in order to force myself to use it as it works through my Sony head unit. I have learned quite a bit about what works well and what it lacking.

1. It's very nice having one less screen in the vehicle
2. Getting routes, waypoints, and maps downloaded ahead is paramount to a good experience
3. Zooming in/out works well
4. I do not like that that vehicle marker stays in the center of the screen and you cannot move the map around. This comes in handy in order to see what is out in front of you and allows to see what is coming up. This is something I used often on the tablet I used to run and really the only thing I miss badly.
5. You cannot set waypoints or start recording a track from the head unit. This would be nice, but not real critical, at least in the way I use it.
6. It never crashed, or acted oddly, so I am pretty pleased with the CarPlay version.

Which Sony head unit are you using? I've got the XAV-AX100.

Gaia? yes

Received the below today. I also participated in the beta test and found a few features lacking. The ability to pan to a section of the map and then zoom in was the main concern. Hopefully it’s fixed or they’re planning to fix post-launch

D90E081A-A768-45E8-9520-56101FBA4812.jpeg

Received the below today. I also participated in the beta test and found a few features lacking. The ability to pan to a section of the map and then zoom in was the main concern. Hopefully it’s fixed or they’re planning to fix post-launch

View attachment 2222186

Agreed, the pan and zoom is my biggest complain. When I spoke with the rep just before the official release I was assured that they would be adding those features. I sure hope they do.

I need to give it a try on my sony as well. I just keep forgetting every time i drive it...and since the weather has been so nice here the last couple of days, i've been driving other toys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom