Fzj80 shift solenoids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just pulled the trans pan off my 80, replaced the fluid strainer and flushed the old fluid out through the cooler mounted near the radiator. Put the pan back on with oem silicone and used Valvoline ATF max life for the fresh fill up. BUT one thing I did not do was replace the shift solenoids. I probably should have. What are your opinions on replacing them before a long road trip? Will I be okay without doing them? I looked heavily for another forum before I posted. (Lesson learned). Couldn’t find one so I’m posting my own. Cheers.

375B4E82-3548-4A26-877F-D18A9FBD5DD5.jpeg

If it's shifting ok, you are fine. The most common solenoid issue is not going back into first after a complete stop. It's a LOT of fluid if its shifting fine.

Honestly man, should've just replaced them. It's an easy and cheap job. You'd never have to crack the trans open again.

I replaced mine and it shifts incredibly well now. I did have shifting issues.

Honestly man, should've just replaced them. It's an easy and cheap job. You'd never have to crack the trans open again.

I replaced mine and it shifts incredibly well now. I did have shifting issues.
Yeah, I agree. I just wanted to get some opinions. I don't know of any issues the a343f has besides just regular maintenance.

Solenoids can go out, but I wouldn't consider them a preventative maintenance or 'while you are in there' item.

I think Isuzu uses the same solenoids in some of their transmissions and they can be had for less money than the Toyota sold versions.

Depending on mileage or if you 'tow' a lot, some folks like to bump up the line pressure while in there. Easy to do, no tools required.

Makes for slightly firmer shifts and bit less wear on friction discs.

A343F trans adj1.jpg
A343F trans adj2.jpg

I know this doesn't answer your question...
My A343 was acting sluggish and inconsistent I did 1 drain and refill with Amsoil ATF and its running like new, prior to the AMSOIL it had new factory Toyota fluid about 90% new factory Toyota ATF. When I bought the truck it was bout 5 quarts low on ATF, trans fluid return line was leaking. I couldn't back up my driveway when I brought the truck home. I ended up filling with Toyota ATF and it helped a lot (obviously 5 quarts low) But when I did the Amsoil drain and refill, Amsoil worked some magic, very noticeable improvement

That’s wild, I wonder why that changed it. Glad it changed for the better lol. I assume mine has been changed at some point in its life. When I took my trans pan off I had a little bit of metal build up on the magnets, but other than that everything looked good. Fluid that I drained out looked decent. I used Valvoline ATF max life and I haven’t really noticed any difference. And I did not adjust the pressure. But I am pleased that I finished it. No issues so far. But I should’ve replaced the dang solinoids I guess. Not a big deal according to you guys. Appreciate it fellas

I would have never thought of proactively replacing a transmission solenoid.......until I was stranded 100 miles from home due to a failed lockup solenoid (which does more than just lock the converter, apparently). The tranny can still function with 1 of the 2 shift solenoids failing, but that third solenoid can leave you high and dry if it fails.

See my write-up here: P0770 transmission trouble code and loss of forward progress - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/p0770-transmission-trouble-code-and-loss-of-forward-progress.1299188/#post-14712872

Scary stuff. Crazy how such a simple part can completely screw you over. I am taking a 6 and a half hour trip each way next Thursday lol hopefully no issues. I have put over 1k miles on my 80 since my transflush so I think she's healthy. If I get much more info on here saying that I should've changed the solenoids, Im dropping the pan again.

Scary stuff. Crazy how such a simple part can completely screw you over. I am taking a 6 and a half hour trip each way next Thursday lol hopefully no issues. I have put over 1k miles on my 80 since my transflush so I think she's healthy. If I get much more info on here saying that I should've changed the solenoids, Im dropping the pan again.

You'll be fine. Enjoy your trip. 👍

Hi everyone...need some advice...urgently....shifthing problems with my 442f transmition made me resarch with my autodiagnostic tranny tool found out solenoids failing codes, took of the pan got out all 4 solenoids, performed the resistance test and all of them are showing 12.7 ohms seems fine, but when I apply 12 volts to all of them, none make no noise or Cliking at all ? They block the air, when you apply air to them (air test) but NO CLICKING AT ALL. ARE THEY FAILING???
ALSO, has anyone attemped to reacondition them? Thank you

Replace them all as long as you have everything opened up.

Shift 1 and 2- D49422A - Isuzu 8-97202072-0 Transmission Solenoid, Shift 1 & 2 (90 degree Bracket) | eBay

Lockup- D49425A - Isuzu 8-97202073-0 Transmission Solenoid, Lockup (Torque Converter Clutch - | eBay

Timing- D49421A - Isuzu 8-97202074-0 Transmission Solenoid, Timing (2 Hole Bracket) AW450-43LE | eBay

you need 2 of the first one.

i have a few sunroofs but shipping might be too much. 150 plus whatever it cost to ship it

Good morning,

My 1997 FZJ80 has an issue where when I put it into gear it shifts hard and going from first to second it shifts hard. This only happens about 25% of the time. The transmission works great outside of these hard shifts occasionally. I was considering replacing the shift solenoids. Wanted to get some feedback from the group. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom