FZJ80 Pocket Flares 93-97 now available (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those are really cool, great idea! If my flares get crappy I sure will tak a look at your option. How pliable are they? Bushwacker has a reputation for their flares being brittle, other may be thinking yours are similar. Just a point that you want to clarify.

Those are really cool, great idea! If my flares get crappy I sure will tak a look at your option. How pliable are they? Bushwacker has a reputation for their flares being brittle, other may be thinking yours are similar. Just a point that you want to clarify.

They are pliable enough to be pulled flush against the fenders and flexible enough to take a whack. I pushed on the front to the point that it caved and then it popped back out, but I wouldn't advise pushing them in on purpose and I wouldn't say that they are industructible. The most common reason I have seen for the OEM flares to fail is broken fastening tabs which are not repairable. These pocket flares will not pull away from the fender due to broken tabs and they may be repairable depending on the damage and the owner's desire to repair. One big advantage to these flares is that I would provide replacement pieces without the owner having to buy a whole set.

Will these work in a LX-450?

These look awesome! I've been searching around for over a year myself for a set and I'm finally glad someone had more time than me to take on the challenge of making a good set. Looks like a good deal of time, thought and effort went into making these. I plan to get a set down the road, but want to hear more testimonials about the product first.

Usually I believe this type pf thread is viewed as advertising and gets bumped to the vendor/merchandise section, but seeing as you are producing an item specifically for the 80 crowd, which there was no other manufacturers willing to attempt because they didnt think sales would be big enough, I think the mods will leave it here for a while. Just make sure you do a separate thread in the merchandise or vendor section where you post a price and contact info if you havent already. (edit: I see you do)

To keep this tech though, can you post some pictures of your mounting hardware and method so we can see what you are talking about?

These look like a great alternative to OEM flares for those that whel their rigs and live in areas where the authorities are strict about street legal issues, such as keeping your tires from protruding from the body.

good stuff!

These look like a great alternative to OEM flares for those that whel their rigs and live in areas where the authorities are strict about street legal issues, such as keeping your tires from protruding from the body.

good stuff!
They are also a good alternative for those that like the look of flares or don't like the look of tires protruding from the body. I may have gotten away with flareless, but I don't like that look and prefer the look of flares. I also prefer a wider stance on my lifted truck.

The hardware are black oxide Torx self threading bolts. It is a simple one step process drilling through the flare into the fender and then immediatley following with the bolt until the flare is snug. There are not blocks between the pocket and the fender purposely since this space adds to the flexability. If one were to strip the hole in the fender or make it too big when drilling a nut and washer would be required behind the fender. I provide 3 extra locking nuts with washers (stainless steel) just in case.
Torx self tapping.jpg

So a little more tech, installation-wise or parts inventory-wise ----- Do these mount directly to the painted surface or is there a gasket/adhesive foam tape/anything that goes in between the flare & the paint of the body?

Also, is the point of these flares to mimic the size & body flow lines but with sturdier (is this a more sturdy mounting method?) construction & at a reduced co$t than say a full set of new flares from Mr.T?

Is there any varience between these & OEM on the inside of the wheelwell to clear a little more room to avoid wheelwell/tire rubbing?

Can you show some pics installed without a tire in the way so we can see how the underside of these do as far as taking up room in the lip of the sheetmetal, esp in the rears (but shots of both a front & rear flare installed would be nice).

So a little more tech, installation-wise or parts inventory-wise ----- Do these mount directly to the painted surface or is there a gasket/adhesive foam tape/anything that goes in between the flare & the paint of the body?

Tech info from post #1:
"The flares include Torx hardware, gaskets, and they are primered flat black."

Also, is the point of these flares to mimic the size & body flow lines but with sturdier (is this a more sturdy mounting method?) construction & at a reduced co$t than say a full set of new flares from Mr.T?

Tech info from post #1:
"They are made with fiberglass and high quality flexible resin so that they are very durable and flexible. The consensus I have observed is that the most common cause for the stock flares to fail is the internal fastening tabs breaking off. These flares use fastening hardware through the pockets to mount securely and will not separate due to broken tabs.

IF a flare is damaged it may be repairable (broken tabs on the stock flares are not repairable) or a one off replacement flare may be obtained."

Is there any varience between these & OEM on the inside of the wheelwell to clear a little more room to avoid wheelwell/tire rubbing?

Can you show some pics installed without a tire in the way so we can see how the underside of these do as far as taking up room in the lip of the sheetmetal, esp in the rears (but shots of both a front & rear flare installed would be nice).

From post #8:
"There are no stencils, but the 93-97 pocket flares are the exact same dimensions as the stock 93-97 flares so there should be a mark left from where the originals did reside."

If you would like to see how the underside looks on you can look at OEM flares on. They fit the same when installed. Also, you may observe the pictures of the flares not installed and compare. If someone is interested in the flares and they have questions about a possible customization feel free to send a PM with the request. If the request is possible I will consult with my fiberglass guy to see what all is involved and how much the one off modification would cost.

Thank you for your questions. Let me know if you need further clarification...

e3872080-4ce2-4306-ac4e-22333368f069_290_0.jpg

Ozone resistant EPDM rubber OEM style trim gaskets have arrived and are now available. They are attached the same way as the OEM trim gaskets with 3M tape on the backside of the contact edge. I still like the original trim gaskets I used, but these trim gaskets are very high quality and fit like the OEM. These are what is now supplied with the flares.

Do you sell the gasket separately? A few of my OEM gaskets are on the verge of death and I haven't been able to find a source for the OEM gaskets.

Do you sell the gasket separately? A few of my OEM gaskets are on the verge of death and I haven't been able to find a source for the OEM gaskets.
Yes. I'll send you a PM.

They do sell them :) Will run you about $100 for the set from toyotapartseast.com

265142918.png

They do sell them :) Will run you about $100 for the set from toyotapartseast.com
He is correct. The last time I checked they were $120 plus shipping costs.

I can supply a high quality version for less than half.

Congrats on taking the plunge. I hope it works out for you.

Buck

We made it out about when we said we would. These pocket flares will fit any 80 series truck, but this set is made so that 93-97 mud flaps will bolt up.

They are made with fiberglass and high quality flexible resin so that they are very durable and flexible. The consensus I have observed is that the most common cause for the stock flares to fail is the internal fastening tabs breaking off. These flares use fastening hardware through the pockets to mount securely and will not separate due to broken tabs.

IF a flare is damaged it may be repairable (broken tabs on the stock flares are not repairable) or a one off replacement flare may be obtained. The flares include Torx hardware, gaskets, and they are primered flat black.

More information is available in the post found in the classified section.

How much and where can i buy them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom