fzj80 motor tick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I'm just getting used to my just purchased FZJ80. What I've noticed is there is a mild to moderate ticking sound in the motor that can be heard while accelerating at a moderate pace. It is barely dicernable when the truck is placed in nuetral so it seems like the engine needs some load to make it tick. Is this valves tapping? I remember my 1986 toyota pickup ticked like crazy seems like its whole life. Someone told me that was normal for Toyota engines. What makes this sound?

I think we all have the same issues, straight six's are common to have sticky lifters, I wouldn't worry about it but you can try an additive for sticky lifters, you can get this at any local auto parts store or simply a little tranny fluid will work as well. I could never get mine to go away, but like I said this is common in any straight six.

Valves shouldn't tick only under a load, more than likely you have a small exhaust leak somewhere. Pull the heat shield off the exhaust manifold and check for cracks.

I think we all have the same issues, straight six's are common to have sticky lifters, I wouldn't worry about it but you can try an additive for sticky lifters, you can get this at any local auto parts store or simply a little tranny fluid will work as well. I could never get mine to go away, but like I said this is common in any straight six.

Hmm, I have never heard any valve train ticks and I would not want to say that those things are common to the straight six as such, at least not the ones that I have heard, but everyone's experience is definitely different. Now sometimes the toyota injectors (particularly on my 3VZE V-6) make a rhythmic ticking but that would not necessarily sound worse with acceleration, in fact if anything at all, it would "sound" less due to the increasing sound of the engine, fan, etc. Do you hear this in the cabin of the rig or only when the hood is held open? If it is load enough to hear this in the cabin of the rig I might start to look toward the bottom end instead of the top end. HTH. :cheers:

Are you sure it is not the injectors? Mine are noticeable. I can't hear them from the cab though, therefore not under load.

Ross

I don't have any ticks either.

I have a bit of a tick which definitely sounds like injector ticking to me. Same exact tick on my old SOHC explorer... it was worrisome at first until I started peeling away stuff and listening and realized it was definitely the injectors.

Don't loose too much sleep over it.

I can hear the injectors with the hood open, cant hear them from the cab,

exhaust leak is a good candidate.

There are no lifters on a 1FZ, its overhead cam. though excessive valve clearance (cam lobe to bucket) can generate noise.

Ticking

If it is only under load that you here the ticking sound it is probably an exhaust leak at the manifold i had a 22r engine where it cracked and sounded like a lifter also Karl:cool:

Exhaust leak could be it. I noticed today that the sound completely disappears by the time the motor reachings standard operating temperature. Maybe the manifold is tightening up as it gets hot. Does that sound right?

Exhaust leak could be it. I noticed today that the sound completely disappears by the time the motor reachings standard operating temperature. Maybe the manifold is tightening up as it gets hot. Does that sound right?

Yup. I'd bet thats your ticking noise.

I'd go with the exhaust leak theory. There's a small pipe that leads from the exhaust manifod up to the intake manifold on the back of the engine. My '97 had a problem with the pipe last year and it strated with a ckicking noise. At first only when I accelerated, but then more constant once the gasget where the pipe hooks onto the exhaust manifold blew out. Easy to check: with the enigine running reach back and try to move the pipe (might be hot). If the gasket is going then you'll hear the noise, or the pitch of the noise will change. It's a pain to change, but the gasket is cheap.

Greetings all. I have FZJ80 1997 with215k kilometres on ODO. I have this sound since I bought a car back in winter 2017. My mechanic opened and measured valves and it was in 0.2-0.3 range so it was all good it seems. We changed the right camshaft and put it all together. The sound is still here. I don't know what to do. We will open it again next month, I'll change all the valves plates and the left camshaft as well because I have a donor engine 1fzf.
I'll post some more videos of that sound during a drive time.
All the best.

Is it louder from the driver side, passenger side, or underneath.

Greetings all. I have FZJ80 1997 with215k kilometres on ODO. I have this sound since I bought a car back in winter 2017. My mechanic opened and measured valves and it was in 0.2-0.3 range so it was all good it seems. We changed the right camshaft and put it all together. The sound is still here. I don't know what to do. We will open it again next month, I'll change all the valves plates and the left camshaft as well because I have a donor engine 1fzf.
I'll post some more videos of that sound during a drive time.
All the best.

Check your belt tension.

Power Steering pump gear probably has a nick on a tooth. Not uncommon if someone has replaced the pump. It's very sensitive to nicks on the teeth.

Also check your harmonic balancer bolt torque. Should be 304 LB-FT. This drives your oil pump and PS gear. Very critical torque.

Power Steering pump gear probably has a nick on a tooth. Not uncommon if someone has replaced the pump. It's very sensitive to nicks on the teeth.

Also check your harmonic balancer bolt torque. Should be 304 LB-FT. This drives your oil pump and PS gear. Very critical torque.
That's my guess, either ps pump or the harmonic balancer . When the balancer gets old the rubber inside starts to push out the back and it will slap the front cover. Easy to see. Just crawl under and have some one tap the starter and watch it go around if its rubbing the front cover you will see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom