fzj 80 muffler options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple of years ago i ditched the convertors and ran the exhaust inside the frame rail. Worked out very well. Reused the factory muffler.

The factory muffler is now almost rusted out. I DO NOT want to run a magnaflow, or a borla or a flowmaster. Ive had all the above on previous 80s and it was obnoxious and annoying.

With that said, what aftermarket mufflers have yall used with success? I'm sure someone in here has used some form of walker or ap exhaust muffler or another brand of aftermarket quiet muffler.

I saw one on a post from @CreeperSleeper but that was 10 years ago and the number that was stamped on his muffler didn't come up in a search.

So, what gives, what have yall used.

Thanks in advance,

Will

The Walker aluminized steel muffler is a perfect fit with the original layout on my '94. My only complaint would be that the high temp Rust-Oleum primer and paint that I sprayed on peeled off right away and it is starting to show a bit of surface rust after a year.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have a part number? Their website didn't list a landcruiser.

Magnaflow's large muffler with an additional resonator. Just a tad louder than stock. Stay away from aluminized steel if you want it to last more than a few years.

I don't have room for another resonator, unfortunately.

I don't have room for another resonator, unfortunately.

The one I used is small enough (Vibrant 1141 2.5"). I have a rear bumper with a Warn M8000 in it and still was able to find room. I've seen this same resonator run with the OEM subtank too.

I love my Flowmasters, but, if you want quieter I have had a Dynomax that was quiet and free flowing on a mini truck that you might like.

I’m having the Walker factory replacement muffler installed tomorrow morning. I will report back on how it sounds.

I bought it from Summit for $114 and I’m hoping it’s the fix for the exhaust whistling that began about 8k-9k miles ago at around 272k and is very annoying.

Thanks fellas. I'll look into what y'all used.

Does anyone else have an opinion or a part number, etc? I searched but didn't find much other than pictures, I'm sure this will help others in the future as well.

Will

I have the Flowmaster D70. It is audible but not annoying (to me). I realize this is totally subjective but I have had loud and irritating Flowmasters in the past but this one is Ok so far especially now that the requisite layer of soot has formed.

Frank

Are these OEM replacements or you guys are doing cat back with bigger pipe.

I ended up replacing the entire exhaust system. Figured it was 20+ years old so if I only did 1/2, I would have to replace the rest in the next few years anyways. Did the Magnaflow Y pipe/single cat (PN 23120), into the large Magnaflow muffler, then into the Vibrant resonator. Tip exits under the truck near the PS rear wheel. Most local shops wanted to use aluminized steel (which I did NOT want to use) so I bough a few 90* and a 120* sections of 2.5" stainless at summit racing and had a local shop tig weld everything together. Turned out well and should hold up for another 20 years.

Because mine is a '94, I had to delete the PAIR system and move the O2 sensors into the exhaust manifold.

I had a dynomax or magnaflow in the 80 I sold to @thatcabledude it sounded like a large Honda fart can. How he tolerated it for the past 6 years is beyond me.

Keep the ideas coming, and thanks again

Will

I ended up replacing the entire exhaust system. Figured it was 20+ years old so if I only did 1/2, I would have to replace the rest in the next few years anyways. Did the Magnaflow Y pipe/single cat (PN 23120), into the large Magnaflow muffler, then into the Vibrant resonator. Tip exits under the truck near the PS rear wheel. Most local shops wanted to use aluminized steel (which I did NOT want to use) so I bough a few 90* and a 120* sections of 2.5" stainless at summit racing and had a local shop tig weld everything together. Turned out well and should hold up for another 20 years.

Because mine is a '94, I had to delete the PAIR system and move the O2 sensors into the exhaust manifold.

Thanks, that’s kinda what I am leaning towards.

Can people have CA legal flow master cats tell me the size difference between OEM cats and flow master cats? If I go after market route then might as well gain a little ground clearance. @NLXTACY ?

Cats are near identical. The rotation is better but the Y-pipe and cat is one piece.

Last edited:
I had a dynomax or magnaflow in the 80 I sold to @thatcabledude it sounded like a large Honda fart can. How he tolerated it for the past 6 years is beyond me.

Keep the ideas coming, and thanks again

Will

:lol:

Easy.... I always told myself it sounded like a Supra. It's still laying on the garage floor.... You know you want it!

The really cool guys have whistling 80s AND a working D light

@zukinut I was running a single hi-flow cat and the stock resonator off of a Mk5 VW GTI. I was not running a muffler at all.

How obnoxious was it? If I could find a muffler that size, it would be absolutely perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom