Funky Clicking Noise Diagnosis (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been trying to pinpoint the source of a very light "clicking" noise that has been emitting from the left side of my LC. The noise is probably best described as a light click, almost a light ratcheting, sound that is only on the left side of the truck. I only hear it when the left window is down, and the noise is more prominent when driving next to objects such as curbs, cars, walls, etc. The noise appeared to be coming from the center of the vehicle, so I was suspecting an issue with the rear shaft/u-joints or transfer case.

In order to play the process of elimination game, I removed the rear drive shaft and drove the LC around the neighborhood in FWD mode (CDL locked), and the noise was gone. So based on this test, I figured the source of the noise was in the drive shaft. I checked the drive shaft for any excessive play or binding in the u-joints as well as the splines, but they felt perfect. The drive shaft was greased up and re-installed. Greasing didn't help rid the noise.

The other day, I had my buddy drive the truck in a parking lot while I walked/jogged next to it in an attempt to find the location of the noise. The noise is definitely coming from the left side only, at both front and rear wheels. I was originally thinking that it's time to lube everything up (CV's, bearings, bushings), but the part that confused the hell out of us is when the noise went away when I poured a bottle of water to wet the pavement.

I have BFG AT's with tons of meat on them... could the clicking noise be coming from the tread/pavement contact?? Why only on the left side? The AT's are not directional.

I'm confused.

Check to see if you've got a screw or something stuck in the tire.

Yes, definitely checked for screws/rocks/pebbles. Tires of clear of debris.

SupraTuRD said:
Well, I thought so too, until I wet the tires.

What do you mean by that? I had a very similar clicking sound on my driver's side and it turned out to be the spring retainers and shims on my front brakes. Sound started after Toyota dealership replaced front brake pads. I guess they were not looking at the FSM when they did the job.

- Sent from a very small supercomputer.

What do you mean by that? I had a very similar clicking sound on my driver's side and it turned out to be the spring retainers and shims on my front brakes. Sound started after Toyota dealership replaced front brake pads. I guess they were not looking at the FSM when they did the job.

I wet the tire tread and the clicking noise went away. How could this be?

Check the center caps. I had one loose and it would squeak and sometimes click..... I thought it was the brakes. I got some of that sticky putty for hanging posters on a wall and put a small ball of it at all of the snap locks. No more squeak or clicking.

Check the center caps. I had one loose and it would squeak and sometimes click..... I thought it was the brakes. I got some of that sticky putty for hanging posters on a wall and put a small ball of it at all of the snap locks. No more squeak or clicking.

Ok, I'll pop the caps off to see if that eliminates the noise. Thanks!

I had an annoying clicking on the left side of the wife's 2000 for years. Finally figured it out - a rock had gotten inside the parking brake drum on the driver side rear wheel. When I pulled the drum I was very relieved to see the culprit. There's just enough space on the backside of the drum that somehow this rock had managed to get itself inside. As the wheel rotated, the rock got flung around inside causing the clicking I was hearing. It was only noticable when going over bumps or washboard road. Maybe not your issue, but thought I would share just incase.

Supra- what the progress report here? I heard a similar click this weekend.

Supra- what the progress report here? I heard a similar click this weekend.

Hey Darin, still got the noise. I'm convinced it's coming from the tread/pavement because the moment I wet the pavement/tire, the noise is gone. Kind of annoying, but I'll just have to live with it for now.

Wanna try swapping rims/tires with me sometime to see if that eliminates the noise? =)

I'm interested in helping. I have new contact details as I left Apple. I'll Pm you my stuff. If/when you need me, don't hesitate to call me.

pfran42 said:

I had this same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

MidTex said:
I had this same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

When you had this issue with the brake shims, did the noise go away or at least change when the brakes were applied?

Mine makes no difference when I apply the brakes.

Do you have a card in your spokes? :D

Wheel bearing??? Bring it by and we can take a listen.

Card in my spokes? LOL! Didn't we all do that as kids? =]

I initially thought it may be wheel bearings, but the fact that the noise goes away when I wet the tires/pavement steers me away from the wheel bearing idea. It's a strange one.

Is it speed correlated? i.e. the faster you got the faster the clicks?

Assume all lugnuts are properly torqued?

I agree you should rotate tires and see if the sound location starts coming from the other side?

SupraTuRD said:
When you had this issue with the brake shims, did the noise go away or at least change when the brakes were applied?

Mine makes no difference when I apply the brakes.

Unfortunately I don't remember. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom