Fun with P0037 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While coming down a steep, very narrow fire road in an 09' LC the CEL, 4Lo, VSC lights all came on, when I got to the bottom I pulled out my code reader and got the P0037 code which means the O2 sensor on Bank 1 Sensor 2 has an issue. I believe it is the sensor on the PASSENGER SIDE that's AFTER of the catalytic converter.

My frienenemies at the local stealership wanted to charge me $620 to swap out an O2 sensor to which I said...Can I have the part number for the sensor? They gave me 89465-36040.
I purchased the sensor for $137 (they wanted $200) from another dealership and was on my way. The famous last quotes from the service writer was "its the easiest sensor to replace." I know what everyone is thinking....then why are you charging someone $620 to replace it when the part is only $137?

I get under the truck on the passenger side, follow the exhaust pipe from the muffler towards the front of the truck and sure enough I find an O2 sensor! Wow, I can get the O2 socket on it and the plug is right there. Boom! 5 minutes later the sensor is out and disconnected and I am ready for the install.

This is where the problem begins and reason for this thread, psychologically I had no confidence in the service writer of that dealership so when the plug did not fit I knew something was up, did ass-clown give me the wrong part number or are there 2 O2 sensors that are after the catalytic converter? I went to the another Toyota dealership and they gave me part number 89465-60370. Of course they did not have the part, 3 stores later I find a Denso unit for $83. I go back to the truck, screw it in, plug in and we're all done in 5 minutes.

I scan the codes, there's P0037 and now a new code has popped up, P0057, hmm, that's odd, where did P0057 come from? When I discovered the plugs were not the same I put the sensor back in, did not plug it in and drove to the part stores and now I am getting concerned that I have not replaced the correct sensor. I clear the codes, come off of the lift and start driving home. 2-3 minutes later the CEL, 4Lo and check VSC lights all come back on.

It appears the sensor I replaced was incorrect.
1. Am I correct to say the P0037 code for the O2 sensor is after the cat on the Passenger Side? Are there 2 sensors after the cat??
2. Has anyone personally replaced Bank 1 Sensor 2, where is it and how much fun am I signing up for?
3. Are there any "lessons learned" or short-cut or tips I should be aware of

I am re-attacking today since I now believe 89465-36040 is the correct P/N and any help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited:
And now you know why they quoted you $620.

Not defending them, but in this case, if they replaced the sensor and the light came back on, they would be on the hook to get it fixed.

Please let us know how this turns out, with pictures. I consider O2 sensors a maintenance item, so as these trucks get older we will probably see more failures.

Copy all about the 4 total sensors...and this is where it gets puzzling, I have the -36040 sensor in my hand and it did not fit the Right Rear plug that is back there, the -60370 part did....and it says that part fits the LEFT side...am I looking at the truck from the incorrect direction??

P0037 is Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0057 is Bank 2 Sensor 2
Sensor 2 is the sensor AFTER the catalytic converter, that data point has been substantiated.

When I disconnected the sensor and drove to the autoparts store it flagged P0057, and that would make sense because the O2 sensor was disconnected and the ECU knew there was a problem. I'm going to take a close look at the Driver's side sensor and see if that is the source of the code -

I will have the truck on the lift at 1200 today with my camera ready to go.

Hmmm.......right is passender and left is driver. That's odd about the fitment?

Well, I got her up on the lift and looked at the driver's side, aft O2 sensor and noticed something a bit unusual...

IMG_2518.jpg

It appears that the ECU will have problems talking to the O2 sensor when all of the wires are ripped out of the plug. Score 1 for the ECU.

As it turns out, this procedure took all of 20 minutes, with the most time being spent trying to undue the wire connector. I was able to place the O2 removal tool on to the sensor with relative ease, used some PB blaster (that stuff really works) and it came out inside of 3 minutes. Nothing had to be removed in order to get to this sensor and how I was going to get charged $620 for this repair infuriates me.

For the record:
P0057 is a DRIVER'S SIDE AFTER THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER O2 SENSOR (Part number 89465-60370)
P0037 is a PASSENGER SIDE AFTER THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER O2 SENSOR (Part number 89465-36040)

If you can change a spark plug, replace an air filter or blow your nose you will have the skills necessary to remove these two sensors inside of 30 minutes. The two that are located before the Cat may be another story.

V/R,

Thanks for the pics and resolution of the problem, all to often issues are solved after multiple suggestions without the ultimate solution being offered up.

Any pics of them installed? Like, where they are?

Thanks!

Finding the two O2 sensors after the catalytic converter is EASY, you really cannot miss them and the next time I am under the truck I'll shoot some pictures for the team.

I have subscribed to this thread and in the event someone 4 years from now revives this thread I will know and will be able to help out if mud will send me the email saying someone has posted on this thread. Plus there is the PM feature too, so feel free to PM me if you ever have one of these codes -

MY #1 Moderator goal is that we consolidate all 200 Series P-Codes into a mastery registry thread/file/easy access/one-stop reference complete with the solutions and make it a permanent sticky and you know right where to go when one of these codes pops up.

As for me, the next random code I get I will post on mud with the Fun With PXXXX title, and will document, to the best of my ability, the dealership cost, "shade-tree" alternatives and other budget friendly "ways ahead." When I tell you I was in and out under 30 minutes that's no joke, and this is where I get assed up with the dealership because they are the experts in the field and would have beat my time...$620 was their bill to do this...I am so happy I did this on my own and saved a bunch of cash -

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom